Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scarpa Touring Boot sizing

Poster: A snowHead
How have people found the sizing of Scarpa Touring boots. I'm looking to buy a pair mail order, but they're not easy to try on locally. I've tried a pair on in the past, and from memory I'm a 28.5. With normal footwear, I'm a UK 10 (EU 45 in the Scarpa Mountaineering boots), does this sound about right?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
don't think you can generalise about a Scarpa fit any more. they used to be quite "boxy" but I understand that some of the new models are less roomy

you might see if the retailer will send you 2 pairs in different sizes so you can try them on and return the ones that don't fit
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought my Denalis a few years ago from Backcountry UK (formerly Basecamp Ilkely) and had them fitted at S&R in Bristol - they're extremely helpful if you call them (allow yourself plenty of time on the phone if you speak to Dave the owner, as he's very enthusiastic Madeye-Smiley ) You should get a discount if you're in the Eagle Ski Club

Buying thermo moulded Scarpa boots should be fine as they adjust to your actual foot size in the moulding process, so the exact fit is less important.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
don't think you can generalise about a Scarpa fit any more. they used to be quite "boxy" but I understand that some of the new models are less roomy

Yes

Spirit/Magic/F3 fit about street shoe size for medium / wide fit.
Scarpa Maestrale has a different last and is much lower volume for a medium to small foot.

With touring boots try and get the best shop fit possible and avoid fiddling from boot fitters if at all possible.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the info. It's the Maestrale I was considering.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

With touring boots try and get the best shop fit possible and avoid fiddling from boot fitters if at all possible

Why?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The shells are thinner than alpine boots and have more joints, rivets to facilitate walking, it is not a good idea to heat mould these areas further. The shells also suffer more work type stresses than alpine shells.

So you should aim for the best fitting boot and only then consider further adjustments to the shell.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks davidof - didn't realise.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Cheers.

I'm sure there is a lot a boot fitter can do anyway and they may not have any choice to make some major mods but it is important with touring boots to get the best fit you can first, which is why I'm dubious about just buying mail order although I appreciate not everyone has a good store near to them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I guess really whatever sort of boots you're getting you should probably start with the one's that fit best without modding, although it makes sense that there's more that can go wrong with touring boots.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
I guess really whatever sort of boots you're getting you should probably start with the one's that fit best without modding, although it makes sense that there's more that can go wrong with touring boots.

Yes that's obviously common sense but I feel it is vitally important in ski touring boots, especially as you may have no escape on a multi-day tour climbing and skiing and where any breakage can be critical.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have to disagree here, i'm afraid. Rando/Touring boots account for over 50 percent of our sales and need far more work than we do on alpine shells. Always footbeds, always thero liners; Palau/Intuition. No part of the boot in ;y experience suffers from any form of modification, really don't understand how this seems to make semse.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have to disagree here, i'm afraid. Rando/Touring boots account for over 50 percent of our sales and need far more work than we do on alpine shells. Always footbeds, always thero liners; Palau/Intuition. No part of the boot in ;y experience suffers from any form of modification, really don't understand how this seems to make semse.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
The shells are thinner than alpine boots and have more joints, rivets to facilitate walking, it is not a good idea to heat mould these areas further. The shells also suffer more work type stresses than alpine shells.

So you should aim for the best fitting boot and only then consider further adjustments to the shell.

find the best fit is the main aim, but not too many people have feet that come out of boxes

all boots can be modified Pebax is a little harder to modify than PU but it can still be done, never hda problem modifying a touring boot as SZK has said
snow report
Pebax is a doddle in my opinion, sorry to contradict you mate. Just read the part about Spirit and F3 being mentioned as a similar shpe/volume, absolutely miles from the truth, can fit my house inside a Spirit/Mistrale, I own an F3, fits tighter than my alpine boots.
snow report
Before our buddy here gets upset, i've spent the last 10 years pretty much SOLEly turning alpine boots into touring boots and vise versa, and reading the above is way off base. Peace. xx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy