Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Childrens Ski boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Okay folks,

may have been answered before but in a quick search can't find the answer.

I am going to buy some new boots for my 5 and soon to be 10 year old so looking for some helpful guideance.

first off and I hear you crying out.... Why buy for a 5 year old as they only ski in them once or maybe twice (as we don't live in a resort). Just hire. Agreed but given I can buy and resell and only lose a little bit of actual cash then I don't consider this an issue just would like to get them into the skiing is not a holiday it's a lifestyle so you need the kit bit...

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations. for info.

The 10 year old can ski confidently though reverts to plough on steeper reds and isn't technically advanced having only done about 3-4 weeks (but has won her last 3 years of end of lessons ski races)
The 5 year old is currently a snow plough demon but will parrellel going straight down and loves to do little jumps, but is pretty confident on all most greens and blues but currently SWMBO has stopped me from taking her on the gentler reds.

So questions.

Am I right in going for the buy option for both or do I stick to hire for 1 or both of them?
Do I consider proper fitting, or go for best fit off the shelf (realistically I don't think either will really benefit from the performance enhancements of custom beds etc, but am prepared to be corrected?
Any suggestions as to make, model etc?

regards
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ansta1, I have a nearly 6 year old and we have always bought kit as we ski a lot and now he skis at home year round too, so you don't have to convice me about buying kit Smile

Re. boots, buy what fits best. You may not have a great choice of makes/models depending on the shop. Where are you based? I would not buy ski boots with 'growing room', I think it makes it harder for kids. S&R once sold me a boot which my son did not wear until 18 months later it was that big for him. I know a bit more now and would shell check, and check for length of foot against the insole too.

You could look at the adjustable boots, I have never tried them but a couple of other Snowheads have. There are two makes AFAIK the Roxa Chameleon (cheap at Skiwear4less) and the original adjustable boot which is the Roces one. This type of boot is very common in skating apparently. When I was considering them my son was close to the end of a size range so wouldn't have got full use out of them anyway and now he skis regularly I am happy to buy the correct size boot as needed anyway.

Re. fitting, I don't think anywhere really fits kids(except junior racers) in the same way as adults, i.e. foot beds, heat moulding etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our youngest has Roces Idea adjustable ski boots. They'll last him quite a few years (still on the smallest setting!) and due the the adjustment capability they can be made to fit quite well. In the UK, they are available mostly in skate shops (as Roces is from the skate world where adjustable boots are common).

I don't think custom-moulding or footbeds are a good idea, as their feet will be growing and you want them to be let to grow, not hold them in a particular position.

It is quite common for kids boots to be available 2nd hand - quite a few ski shops do trade ins. The first few pairs of 2nd hand boots for eldest cost the grand sum of £15.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks,

whilst the girls both have adjustable roller blades (mine aren't as they're a bit more expensive and bespoke Happy) I wasn't aware that they did decent adjustable ski boots anywhere so a good call and will look at this for the younger girl at least.

Convinced now to buy and thanks for the advice about footbeds etc which seems eminently sensible.

Thanks again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My 10 year old son is a keen freestyle skier, and has used Roxa Chameleons for four years. We eventually persuaded him out of his first pair after 3.5 years and replaced them with the next size up. He ski's at least twice a week all year round as well as at least one week on snow and competing on both dry slopes and snow. He has done everything from slalom to backflips in these boots and I can't praise them enough. My daughter now has them too! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My 10 year old son is a keen freestyle skier, and has used Roxa Chameleons for four years. We eventually persuaded him out of his first pair after 3.5 years and replaced them with the next size up. He ski's at least twice a week all year round as well as at least one week on snow and competing on both dry slopes and snow. He has done everything from slalom to backflips in these boots and I can't praise them enough. My daughter now has them too! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy