Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen, Zermatt or Verbier?

Poster: A snowHead
OK - have now discounted the USA because there are so many places in Europe still to visit. Plus, it's the travelling. For us, we have a 45min drive to Exeter airport and no hassle, no standing in line etc. We have to travel with Inghams to get the flight. So, which of the three would you suggest and why ? Which hotels have the best service and the best food, without being snooty ? Does Verbier really have a lot of T-bars ? This is the only reason I won't go back to Saas Fee. Which has the best and longest cruisey runs and which would be good for easy off piste ? Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Erica, you will find loads of posts in relation to all three resorts if you have a look in Snowbase (it's in the top left of the home page). Verbier only has three T bars these days and two are paralell to each other up on the glacier, and the third is in Savlolyeres and doesn't have to be used if you don't want to.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, Wengen - Hotel Alpenrose (I think Inghams still go there) Excellent food but no snooty dressing for dinner, very good service, lots of long cruising runs, not to many t-bars and they can in general be bypassed, fantasticly beautiful scenery, lots of potential off piste including a short run back to the hotel door, best time is either the first or last weeks in February, avoid half term if possible as it can get a bit crowded.

If you want more info on the Area or the Hotel PM me
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, getting in early on your "Wanted - Skiing companion for winter sports" yr 2005/6 thread? Wink

Ah - quick gander through a couple of past posts reveals erica2004's married - bad luck!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erica2004, in the interests of equality, I would recommend Zermatt. It's a little more expensive than the others, but the skiing is excellent, the town has loads of character, and the mountain restaurants are outstanding. It is quite posh, but that adds to the atmosphere, seeing the people wandering the streets dressed up to the nines. It's definitely worth a visit.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN, I haven't even started that thread yet Shocked Maybe I should wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G - I'm surprised that you are single ! Sadly, I'm married - and over 40, which is worse! Did I see you in a rather dashing all-in-one outfit - or was that someone else? Little Angel
Thanks for your help re-Wengen!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, ....so you're only just approaching your prime then!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, no one pieces for me, I think you may be confusing me with mr blobby Shocked Laughing Still all the gardening I've been doing lately should have helped loose a few pounds ...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it wasn't you, it must have been WTFH. I checked out his photos too!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, Ah that's much more likely, thin chap in a DJ and ski boots ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN - will I know when I reach my prime? Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, probably not Sad . Seems as if the way these things work is that you only realise about 5 years too late Crying or Very sad . Still, comfort yourself with the fact that we get knackered well before you do, although 40s don't seem too bad so far (most bits still seem to work fairly well - just require a bit more care and attention than they did when 20-something).

Can't really contribute on the main subject (but since when did that stop a snowHead ), only been in Zermatt and Verbier about 2 hours each - with an immense sense of smugness as we ponced about in front of all the Barbours in our hardcore alpine gear. Zermatt looked the nicer place to be - even if only because those little electric taxis look so bizarre! (And the nearest I've been to Wengen is Grindelwald and Kleine Scheidegg in summer).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004,
Don't know Verbier well as I have only skied there a day. But between the others I would guess Wengen has the better easier off piste as it is on generally gentler grassier terrain, though I haven't been to either in the summer to know exactly what is under the snow. Zermatt and Wengen both have long cruisey runs, though the piste at Wengen is not exactly the most challenging.
For food on the mountain Zermatt wins hands down but I cannot give much detail on individual hotels.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The easy off piste is indeed on grassy terrain arround Wengen, the harder off piste you would not want to try walking on during the summer as it has a lot of sizeable boulders.

There is good eating on the slopes arround Wengen if you know where to go, I'd suggest Eigergletscher, Mannlichen (but go early) , Brandegg or Jagerstubli for good quality food also Aspen and Grund station are not bad, The restaurants arround Kleine Scheidegg are not bad but tend to get very crowded at lunchtime, also worth a try is the new one at Allmend, I used to suggest Wengenalp and Marys Cafe but I've been a bit disapointed with both of those in the last 2 years, definately avoid Scheidegg Hotel's restaurant till further notice
snow conditions
Whistler.
ski holidays
All round holiday? Zermatt! Off-piste, Verbier, as you can bash about on Mont Gele..an amazing introduction, Tortin, a lesser hill than Mont Gele but again good fun. I wouldn't like to give the impression that Tortin is very easy and Mont Gele is a no turning back run intineraire in my book. Not gentle but rewarding.
Mont Fort frontside is a huge mogul field but backside is on my list. But for all the reputed off-piste in Verbier I just can't get myself back there - there is always somewhere else I'd rather go. So on that basis, I say, Zermatt.
Can't vouch for Wengen but DG Orf can.
latest report
erica2004, my free advice to you says go to the Zermatterhof in Zermatt. I've stayed there twice, and the food and service is excellent. I did not find them snooty in the least; quite the opposite actually. Everyone was extremely helpful and pleasant, and it really made for a great holiday. Gentlemen are requested to wear a tie at dinner. I originally thought this was not something I wanted to do (ie snooty), but it was all part of the fun. Breakfast was exactly the opposite, where anything goes. As for the skiing, you would never have to take a T-Bar if you didn't want to. You can see some of my Zermatt photos at http://cacavas.com which were taken before my life changed completely with the arrival of our little boy. Someday he will go to Zermatt too, but only after he's old enough to appreciate it.

John Cacavas
Los Angeles
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy