Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What base layers are best?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Where my wife works it pretty cold. There is heating but doors need to be opened quite often so any heat is constantly lost. I was wobndering what base layers people would recommend. They would not need to have great wicking properties but the ability to keep the wearer warm are more important. I have seen woolen ones but dont know if they are any better than manmade fibres. What would you recommend?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wear my Decathlon ski base layers to work under my normal clothes. Where I work we have a 'fresh air' air conditioning system which is uncomfortably cold all year round. I'm a dab hand at typing in gloves! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A very recent thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69446
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Must be bloody cold in your office QB!! Very Happy

Good quality running (under) clothes seem to maintain body temps.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 8-12-10 14:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Natural fibers tend to be warmer, anything merino tends to be the warmest (icebreaker has been keeping me warm in our warehouse)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helly Hansen Lifa. Discovered them well over 20 years ago. Never found the need to have any other base layer. These days they appear to be defective, though, The photos always show the vests with the chest measurement clearly greater than the waste. In recent years, I have noticed that in reality the reverse is true.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crossmax, if the work you are doing is low activity, then in cold conditions it maybe best to go for a natural mid layer (merino) and use as a base layer look at 250g to max 280
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Icebreaker. It's made from happy sheep.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis, Thanks for the link, very helpful.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just ordered some merino base layer tops from Wiggle.co.uk - their own brand, and they're a lot cheaper than Icebreaker. Mine arrived today and is a good fit - size 12, snug but not tight. The one I ordered for the OH, which has a zip neck, was out of stock and not arrived yet, so hoping it will be as good.

For someone working in an office, rather than skinning up an Alp, I suspect the Marks and Spencer ones would be fine and have the advantage that she could try them on.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, She does have some from M&S and finds them ok but when its pretty cold she wont get warm all day. I was wondering if anything else would be warmer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crossmax, I suppose it's a matter of wearing layers - though if you're inactive, in a cold work environment, it's not easy. Maybe get up and go for a brisk walk for ten minutes, every now and again. If she has good base layers, maybe a warmer mid layer would be a better investment? I remembering layering up in the office during the "3 day week" in the Olden Days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, is that the dhb 150 gsm ones? they seem to be pretty good we looked at them as well but TBH found them too thin for winter use better for spring skiing Blush
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy