Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Osteopenia/Osteoporosis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mrs D has been for a bone density scan after some thyroid problems which show her lower spine as having a density of -2.3. Osteoporosis sets in at -2.5 and beyond (i.e. going towards -3.0 and beyond).

She is now worried about the risk of carrying on skiing this winter. We'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience of these conditions and whether they've continued to ski and what precautions they've taken (if any), e.g. would it worth investing in a back protector if she decided to keep on skiing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi DixieDean, I can relate to Mrs D's dilema and feel for her. Can I ask what level/how long has she been skiing and how fit she is?

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 3 years ago, this was probably due to treatment for breast cancer (diagnosed 4 years ago). I was advised that skiing was not a good idea and spent one miserable week at our chalet not skiing before deciding that the risk was worth taking.

At diagnosis I'd probably done about 12 weeks skiing, was ok but not great especially if conditions were less than perfect! I decided I needed to get really fit, which has not only given me more confidence in my physical ability but improved my skiing no end. I don't wear a back protector (but do wear a helmet) and to try to minimise risk I ski well within my ability, pack up before I'm knackered and never ever get talked into anything that I don't like the look of. Unfortunately due to school age children we still have to go at peak times but ideally I'd like to avoid crowded pistes as the one thing I can't really do anything about is someone crashing into me!

This year I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer (unrelated to the previous cancer) and have had surgery and radioactive iodine. My fitness has taken a bit of a bashing but the one thing that has kept me going is getting back to the mountains and getting back on the skis, I can't wait Very Happy

Good luck.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that uplifting reply skimum. Mrs D is 52, a capable skier, parallel skiing, using her edges but has not quite got the hang of only using her body from the hips down. Just on the cusp of becoming an really good skier. We've been skiing for 3 years now, going twice a month to the Chillfactore, had 4 weeks of ski holiday, mostly with lessons. She is very cautious and her belief in herself is well behind her ability. We went to Switzerland in September for a holiday and on one very nice day skied on the glacier at Zermatt. Up to then she would only ski on blues. The blues there are green and so she had to go down the reds and skied all day on the reds and did very well. (You tube - Cheryl Dixie Ski Zermatt)

She goes the gym 3 times a week most weeks, regularly runs 5 kms. Much fitter than me.

I spent all day today telling her that she should just carry on, take mitigating measures to reduce any risk, perhaps consider wearing some back protection. Last spring she got hit from behind quite hard by a snowboarder who was out of control. Left a nasty bruise on her back, but nothing was broken and she carried on skiing. So she's quite hardy really, but for some reason she sees this latest news as the end of her skiing - "don't want to end up paralysed".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DixieDean, well your wife and I sound very similar, I'm now 52, go to the gym 3+ x week and cycle (weather permitting), I was also a cautious skier despite good technique and lots and lots of lessons. Strangley it was the osteoporosis diagnosis that changed my skiing Shocked god knows how or why but I now ski with far more confidence, am far less tense and rather than thinking I probably can't do something I think I can.

Having said all that it has to be your wife's decision and one that she feels comfortable with, it might take her a while.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A couple of things for other Snowheads to be aware of if you or your partner is at risk from developing osteoporosis, i.e. white female, aged over 30 (there are many other risk factors including hyperthyroidism).

1 Consider your consumption of drinks containing phosphorus, e.g. colas, etc. as these can significantly impact on bone loss over a few years.

2 Make sure you get plenty of calcium, vitamin D and magnesium in your diet.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 25-01-11 20:40; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DixieDean, I think if you have a diagnosis of any condition you have to declare it, regardless of the advice of the consultant.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy