Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Currently expanding my instructing horizons. Hit me with your top tips for teaching the basics!

Serious suggestions preferred, facetious ones OK as long as they're entertaining... Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevomcd, Are you teaching 'on the hill' or in a fridge \ plastic in the UK ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the hill - have done plastic before though, and may well do so again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevomcd, I tend to teach on plastic and tend to focus on posture and removing unwanted rotation. Describing what you mean by 'forward' and 'back'. When I started learning it took me a while to understand what my instructor really meant when he\she said 'get forward.'
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, I always demonstrate "sliding" the hips forward over the front foot to show how to transfer weight (Mr Miagi "wax on, wax off" commentary optional....)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
straight line if at all possible Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
norris wrote:
straight line if at all possible Twisted Evil

Whilst shoulder barging anyone downhill from you out of the way Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maybe it's not good technique but my eureka moment when learning came when i realised that the board twisted when you are initiating turns - that realisation meant i was able to hold the rear toe up and lift the front heel up whilst turning which stopped me catching an edge every time i tried a heel to toe side turn.

The other top tip was to do bindings up tight. It's incredible how hard it is with loose bindings!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i was progressing fine after a few trips then suddenly couldnt initiate a heel turn.. was in all sorts of trouble trying to kick back foot round fighting it.. joined a mate for the last 15 of a beginners lesson he was having the instructor took one look and said look over your leading shoulder to start the turn.. got my body up n round and have never looked er .. back
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
twist your wrist of your rear (left if goofy) hand so that your palm of your hand is facing towards to the heel side of your board rather than facing forward; this stops you from hooking your arm at the elbow and swinging it around in front of your body to avoid unwanted upper body rotation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Constant reminder to push hips forward on toe edge to maintain balance and still get a good edge bite.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When teaching side-slipping to my young 'uns I told them to imagine there was a piece of fruit under the edge of their board and they had to try and squeeze the juice out of it without crushing it. Worked a treat Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't eat yellow snow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy