Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel/B&B suggestions for a family of 4 driving to Avoriaz please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya

We are driving to Avoriaz next month with our two children aged 3 and 4. After stopping at Disney en route, we plan to make another stop about 4 hours futher on to break up the journey down, perhaps near or around Bourg En Bresse, but open to suggestions.

Can anyone recommend anywhere?

Also looking to find somewhere mid-way home through France, and also around Calais for a supermarket shop!

So:
Bourg En Bresse?
Mid France on return
Calais area

Ideally a family room or two rooms close by.

Thanks in advance guys! Smile
~SBM
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowboardingmum, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead When will you be travelling? And what are you planning to buy in the supermarket? Even with slightly weaker euro there isn't much these days which is cheaper.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowboardingmum, Welcome to Snowheads. The Hotel B&B chain does family rooms with 4 beds, doesn't look as if there is one at Bourg En Bresse but there may be one nearby. I usually stop at Troyes on the way back there are 2 or 3 of their places there. One word of warning with them, 2 single beds are usually upstairs and may not be suitable for kids that young. At Calais I would recommend the Novotel Suitehotel, which is more expensive but very nice, which is right opposite Cite Europe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Pam

Its to stop in Calais before we go home to stock up with some French goodies, not to save money, just to pick up something different...!

Travelling in January 2011...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Colin, I'll shoot across there now and have a look! Thanks for the fast recommendations!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, are there two separate sleeping areas in the SuiteHotel?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells, There is a room divider which you pull across, divides the double bed area from the other area with 2 singles. I stayed at the one in Rouen in the summer with my daughter and her mate, both 14, they thought it was very cool.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowboardingmum, Any Novotel is a good option. Sounds like you are planning to spend a bit more time in the hotel than just sleep and move on. The standard rooms have a big double bed and a sofa that converts to two singles. Good en-suite showere room and kids are free (and breakfast for free). We have usually got away with about Euro 90 for an overnight with breakfast. tehre is also a restaurant (food average) and a bar, but we quite often had a picnic in the room when the kids were smaller - they love it! The ones we have used were Reims Tinquieux (2 hours to Calais) and Troyes (3 hours to Calais). Novotel Suitehotel sounds good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, thanks, there's one in Reims, and was wondering if it would be suitable for us and sons in January. As they're 22 and 20, I don't really want to 'share'
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells, The divider isn't really sound proof and you need to move between the areas to use the toilet. Quite nice places though with wifi in the rooms and a tv/lan/games console and also a fridge and microwave. Not cheap but Accor had an offer in the summer and I only paid about 55 euros a night. The R32's use them quite a bit I think
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B,There's another aparthotel close by which is much cheaper Rooms are fine, but it tends to be used by the railway workers, and there are often dirty breakfast trays in the corridors at all hours of the day. It's at the other end of the same street.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.le-val-moret.com Try here Hotel Val Moret just south of Troyes right beside the motorway at junction 22 Magnant. Really secure. You can back your car right up to your bedroom door as all rooms are on the ground floor. And the restaurant is good. Very reasonable too. We and many friends have used it for years if we are breaking the journey.

The hotel is pretty much exactly half way between Calais and Avoriaz ( Chatel in our case ).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, we liked the Val Moret when we stayed there. Very convenient.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do you both drive?, if theres only one driver then a stop en route is fairly unavoidable.
We have driven to Andorra every year since our twins were born 11 years ago, Its 5 hours to the tunnel for us so we'd time the crossing with normal bedtime, get the kids in nightwear on the train, recline their seats a bit and drive o/night on deserted roads, stopping for breakfast when the kids woke up. either a portable or built in DVD player has been an absolute godsent!!!
My wife is happy to drive abroad but cannot do the early hours so I take over about 1 am after a sleep with an espresso booster about 3am arriving in the resort for lunch.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Tangowaggon
We do both drive but as we are flexible - and have two chunder-children - we are making more of the journey time to see places enroute. Hence the luxury of bite-sized journeys Smile

Still not booked....do we need to as a family? If it was just the two of us we'd wing it, but wary with the children! Must get sorted I think!!
Thanks for all the replies guys!!
SM xx
ski holidays
Hiya

Just an update! We did the suitehotel in Calais, definitely recommend, though the breakfasts are odd - mini plastic containers of things!! The other hotels we used were All Seasons chain - in Troyes on return, and Annemasse and Amiens on the way down. Thoroughly recommend these, kids are free and excellently catered for with little welcome packs and special brekkie stuff, and there's free wifi - a huge bonus for us as we run our own business and need to keep in touch. Great value, between €80-110 a night for the four of us. Completely coffee/pastries throughout the stay, and vtech play areas for the kids. Funky design, slightly ikea but still!

Hope that helps others! Thanks for all your help, it all helped point us in the right direction!
SM xx
snow report
snowboardingmum, thanks for reporting back - those hotels sound v good for families. useful to know about.
snow report
Another vote for the Val Moret - my friends use it all the time going to/from 2Alpes, can't praise it highly enough.
ski holidays
Complimentary coffee pastries I mean! Blame the iPhone predictive!!
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Another vote for the Val Moret - my friends use it all the time going to/from 2Alpes, can't praise it highly enough.

We don't usually stop but trying Val Moret out in April on the way down.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy