Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FFS not another tyre question!!!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
bar shaker, tests I have seen have shown winter tyres having shorter stopping distances even in warm and dry conditions. However, I can only agree they will wear more quickly.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris wrote:
Just listening to Drive Time on R2 and there was a chap on from the AA saying some people have had insurance declined, or worse not paying out, as they had Winter Tyres on the car Shocked

Classed as a "modification"

Now I had a run in with my insurance company about putting other rims on, but I wouldn't dream of asking them if I'd just changed the tyres.

Anyone heard this or had issues Puzzled

Here in Austria (anyone know how it works in Germnay, France and Switzlerland) the wheel and tyre sizes that one can put on the vehicle are specified in the cars documents. These documents must held by the car driver when driving the car. Police can ask to see the documents and check if the tyres are suitable. I'd advise people who are putting winter tyres on cars in the UK and travelling to Europe to put on the same tyres that are specified in European car documents then send a copy to the insurance companies asking for their confirmation that it is OK. If they decline ask them to confirm why?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB, as I've put the same size on (and on the original alloys) I can't see there would be any issue so am making a decision not to even raise this with them!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had to put different sized rims on when we had a Freelander as the original ones would not allow the use of chains. So we bought steel rims on e bay - bit of a tortuous process as the chap selling them was selling two together and the other three singly that were slightly smaller (I don't know the technical terms) and then had winter tyres on these rims. Easy then to change between the winter and summer tyres. And in three years of spending the winter in the Alps we never once needed the chains - whereas before even with a four wheel drive Subaru we sometimes had to put on the chains if only for our own driveway.

Afraid we never informed the insurance company - even though Boris, said we should..

Present car, chains will fit fine, so we haven't bought steel rims (not very fancy rims in any case) and just have the Vredrestein winters on, for the second season now. Its all to do with the compound of the rubber at below 7C isn't it.

If and when I ever get a new car myself I will be seriously tempted to just put winters on it in the first place - I don't do much mileage in a year in any case.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As an aside - its beyond me why the emergency services don't fit winter tyres to Ambulances and police vehicles from Nov - April. How on earth they could respond quickly and safely to an incedent when the roads are as they are now goodness only knows.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris wrote:
DB, as I've put the same size on (and on the original alloys) I can't see there would be any issue so am making a decision not to even raise this with them!

I agree it shouldn't be an issue but some insurance companies will try to wiggle out of anything. For my piece of mind even if I didn't tell them I'd want something in writing to confirm that the winter wheel/tyre setup I am running is perfectly legal and acceptable to the car manufacturer in an Alpine country.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
weeSKI, I agree wholeheartedly.
DB, The same applies here in Spain. The last MoT (ITV here) I got I had the Winter tyres on the car which are fitted to a different size wheel to standard, but rolling circumference is within a couple of millimeters and it was noticed and a note put on the Country wide computer database.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beequin, I have only seen the tests for winter tyres being used on snow but logic (and too much time in race/rally cars) would lead you to assume that the reduced amount of rubber in contact with the road, the soft rubber compound and the isolated nature of the tread blocks would lead to the tyre overheating in a large sudden braking event, quickly losing its friction properties (ie skidding and leaving large black skid marks as the rubber boils).

At town driving speeds I would imagine the braking is quite a lot better.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bar shaker,

Slightly longer at 20 deg C, significantly shorter at below 7 Deg C and a massive difference in below freezing winter conditions

http://www.drivingfast.net/images/techniques/winter-driving/tyres-stopping-distances.jpg

http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/winter-driving-techniques.htm

http://www.forstinger.at/var/em_plain_site/storage/images/medien/bilder/infobilder/bremsweg-winterreifen/15430-3-ger-DE/Bremsweg-Winterreifen_500px.gif

A top quality winter tyre v a selection of different summer tyres with M&S written on the side of the tyre. Traction top, braking below.
http://images04.oe24.at/mus-sommer1.png/4.271.166
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, That's as I understood it.

Winter tyre v summer tyres that don't have M&S written on them, significantly worse braking, especially from the speed you would drive at on an open road in the summer.

I'm thinking of getting some for next year (buy in the summer-fit in the winter), but would not use them all year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bar shaker, That's why I have motorbike clad in soft sticky rubber... much better in the summer Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After reading through this thread thought I'd better send them notification. Got a reply today and as far as they're concerned it's not a modification and they don't need to be advised.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, is the surface of your motorbike tyre loose blocks of tread?

Thought not.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As regards some insurance companies charging higher premiums when winter tyres are fitted, this BBC News item now quotes the Association of British Insurers (ABI) as confirming that this is a mistake rolling eyes and premiums should not be higher. Quote:
"The confusion may be through call centres, where that information is not getting through," says Malcolm Tarling, of the ABI.
"The fitting of winter tyres should not affect the risk," he insists.

I have to disagree with his last statement however, the fitting of winter tyres does affect the risk - it decreases it. I therefore look forward to a decrease in my premiums Toofy Grin However, I think I may have to wait till Hell freezes over before they do that.

(But then again if Hell does freeze over at least I'll have winter tyres on!) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink, for a change the BBC seems to have got it almost correct, I notice they did not say anything about changing the wheels just tyres. wink

Quote:

(But then again if Hell does freeze over at least I'll have winter tyres on!) Madeye-Smiley

Looking forward to that one Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy