Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski end of Jan????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi guys, and girls.

looks like i'll be skiing 29th/30th Jan next year, with my mum sister and Girlfriend ( i'm 25, mum is 50 odd, sis is 23 and gf 24)

All competant skiers except the gf who has never really done proper skiing, only in scotland where there was hardly any snow!

Anyway, i have shortlisted a few places based on cost and departure airport and am just after some advice really.

Nightlife is not important, and for our budget we are looking at self catering.

Resorts are as follows, deals are based on specified dates using Crystal Ski and total for lift and ski prices are in brackets!!! i have done all the big resorts but as this is the first skiing trip which i have to arrange as opposed to my dad, i dont really know where to begin! for snow sure conditions i would prefer higher resorts although i know beggers cant be choosers!!

Here goes: flying from Bournemouth or Gatwick on sat/sun 29/30th Jan for 7 days

Prices based on 4 adults sharing.

Val Thorens - Le Chamois d'or apts. - £347 sc (£248)

courchevel 1550 - Les Brigues apts - £351 sc (£261)

Saas Fee - Allalin apts - £372sc (£338)

Nendez - Veysonnaz '3' appts - £347sc (£309)

Bled - hotel park -£356 half board (£248)

Courmayeur - Hotel Croux - £398sc (£258)

Bardonecchia - Apt rive campo smith - £321sc (£216)

La Thuile - Apts Planibel - £302sc (£241)

Serre Chevalier - residence l'alpaga - £324 sc (£226)

Vars - £329 - l'albane apts - (221)

sorry for the long winded essay!

in an ideal world id go for either - v/thorens, Courcheval or saas Fee but although he actual holiday prices seem very reasonable, i would assume lessons and food/drink are going to be considerably morfe expensive?

Out of the others La Thuile sounds good as its flys from Bournemouth (we live in Bournemouth) and serre Chevalier.

having only been to V/T, Courcheval and Nendez on the list can someone please point me in the right direction!!!

THANKYOU!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jimmi85, a key thing to watch is the size and layout of the apartment. Given the make up of your party, you're not going to want to be all sleeping on top of each other in a couple of 2foot wide bunk beds in the hall, are you? Will you get 2 bedrooms - one for you and GF, one for mum and sister? If not, have you decided who will be on the sofa bed or whatever? some of the French apartments are tiny - anything which says it's suitable for 4 is probably far more suitable for 2.

That is a very good time of year to go, and barring very bad luck you should have pretty good snow all over. It's also a very cheap time of year, in France at any rate, and there are some good apartments to be had at around £400 - with 2 proper bedrooms - in the smaller resorts (I'm talking Frnce, which is all I know).

That's £100 each for accommodation. If you look at the cost of easyjet flights from Bournemouth to Geneva, and of hiring a car, that will give you an idea of how much a DIY trip would cost you. If you have a car it's much easier to do a big supermarket shop - then all you need to buy in the more expensive resort shops would be some veg and salads etc. You can also lay in a stock of beers, soft drinks, nibbles, wine etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you're right, the size and practacality of the apartment is likely to be the main issue, although based on our budgets (not so much me, more so the girls!) we will have to make do. i am reluctant to drive from Geneva as i am a bit concerned about a) gettign lost and b)skidding on ice and killing all 4 of us!

before i definatly say no to driving, can anyone please recommend a decent site that offers affordable accom and hire car companys? i think i have decided on Serre Chavalier now, unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

thanks!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

based on our budgets (not so much me, more so the girls!) we will have to make do.

be aware that renting a whole apartment from a private owner (ie not going with a TO) could well be heaps cheaper. £400 for 2 beds, no problem. If you don't want to drive, you can easily get a private taxi transfer from the airport. Just pick an apartment fairly close to an airport. Apartment owners could probably advise on local taxi firms which are reliable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at Snowtrex. We've used them last season and are using them again this. Reasonably priced apartments means you can go for a larger apartment and just under occupy, prices also include lift passes.

We've booked for April for 4 in a 6 person (2 bedroom) apartment for £700 including passes. Yes you've still got to get there but you've an awful lot of money left in your budget to do that with.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmi85, the Alpaga apartments are OK, bu you may be cramped with 4 adults, unless it is a 2 bedroom apartment you are booking.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The ski hire and ski pass prices are high, almost definitely better to book direct, either in advance or in resort. Check each resort's website for euro prices. You've listed well-known Swiss/French resorts, why not go for cheaper French ones? I'd book with Easyjet from Bournemouth and go to the northern Alps. Portes du Soleil, Grand Massif, Val du Mont Blanc, val d'Arly, Aravis. You'll easily find an apartment at £100 a head, flight and transfers (could be more expensive that the flight) perhaps £150 a head, ski hire and ski pass as little as £200 a head.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks guys,

Snowlamb, was that 700 each or 700 for the 4 of you?! had a quick look on snowtrex and looks good value.

can any suggest high resorts fairly close to geneva please?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There should be plenty of snow at the end of January and you don't need to go too high. As wildnoon says, big resorts are Portes du Soleil (Avoriaz/Morzine) and Grand Massif (Flaine + satellites). Flaine is only just over an hour from Geneva and Avoriaz a bit further. Another hour or so and you could get to Les Arcs/La Plagne and Courcheval/Meribel. If you've been to Courcheval and want to be totally sure of snow try La Plagne, a great area and linked to Les Arcs.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
www.odalys.fr apartments le Buet in Morillon (same ski network as Flaine) from 360 euro to 550 euro for 4 -6 people. Just picking this place at random in northen alps.

http://www.france-montagnes.com/massif/alpes-du-nord gives you a map of northern Alps resorts and you can see how far from Geneva.

http://212.203.98.98/WD140AWP/WD140Awp.exe/CTX_1132-19-qLAVHvPJJp/pag_01Destination/SYNC_149231157
That should lead you to bus connections and prices from Geneva. It's 93 swiss francs open return to Morillon, approx £60???
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
right folks, bit of an update!!

after much searching i have managed to source a 2 bedroom duplex apartment with direct slope access in les arcs for....200 quid!!

flights are around 50 odd quid from gatwick or a little more from Bournemouth

only problem is the transfer to Les Arcs! i had been on the net all day today and had everything planned, was planning on going to Flaine as we could get return Transfers for around 220gbp.
but, a friend has offered us his apartment in Les Arcs for a really good price but as its further away transfers seem a lot more expensive!

any ideas??!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmi85,

I think car rental would be your best bet. It should cost less than £250 for a car for a week and it's a straightforward drive to Les Arcs from Geneva.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ok, i have found a ski bus (bensbuses) which takes us to Bourg st Mourice then we get the funicular up to Les arcs 1800 for 69pp return.

best we're gonna get?

thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmi85 wrote:
thanks guys,

Snowlamb, was that 700 each or 700 for the 4 of you?! had a quick look on snowtrex and looks good value.

can any suggest high resorts fairly close to geneva please?

that's for the 4 of us.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy