Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scariest moment ski=ing

Poster: A snowHead
Plake wins.

The only one I can think of didn't involve me, and is only scary 'cos it could happen to anyone.

A group I know were skiing in early January this year. A couple of them got to that bit in the run where you have to schuss a bit down a small valley, or have an uphill walk on the other side. Every resort has at least one. It should have been no problem, both decent skiiers and doing something they'd done many times before.

But as they got to the bottom of the downhill section, one of them lost a ski. This made him veer off the piste and into a boulder about as high as his chest, he hit it square on at full tilt and ended up slumped on the far side of it.

I'm not sure as to the full extent of his injuries, but there were at least three broken rips, punctured lungs, ruptured spleen, fractured pelvis etc.

He was only fit to be flown back to a local hospital last weekend.

There but for the grace of god....... Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Reed wrote:
Half way along there's a memorial to someone (did they die doing the run I asked myself).

I believe it is an avalanche death. The tunnel has been ruined since they put the track in at the end... but they had too many intermediates getting stuck at the exit who then had to be winched down by the piste patrol. My best tunnel moment is exiting, skiing straight through the trembling skiers looking into the void and hucking some air of the drop.

Scariest moment is meeting a mountain lion off-piste in the Sierra Nevada. The guy I was with said "don't run Sherm, don't look scared, just stand your ground and don't look directly at them, they take it as a challenge". I replied "okay Walt... Walt?..." the bast*rd had skied off in the other direction leaving me there!

I would add that mountain Lions are about the size of a dog and generally don't attack humans.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think this thread could do with reviving for the benefit of all the new members since Feb....

One of my worst on piste experiences was being marooned in a whiteout at the far end of the Merlette domain, where even setting off in schuss position at the top of a steep red (where we knew every bump and turn fortunately) you virtually went backwards, one of the worst blizzards I've experienced, right in our faces. Took hours to get back down.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been very fortunate and never had any really bad experiences, just a few minor injuries due to my own idiocy, however my friend Nando (he's a Portuguese snowboarder) says his scariest was being in the middle of a small avalanche, when it stopped he was buried up to his chest and couldn't move, fortunately his friends got him out and he was uninjured, he came back that day and swore that he'd never go off piste again, (he has done since though Laughing ), he is now a little more careful with his ..... itinery Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Serre Che - last day of the holiday, skiing the black Piste Olympic but with traverses and quick little turns. Unfortunately, my bindings were not set for quick little turns. Both released and threw me into the deep powder at the edge of a very steep bit. Started to somersault and only a very big Christmas tree stopped my rolling. Hit it with my back and I knew right away I'd damaged ribs (having done that before - but not skiing). Lucky it wasn't my head or a limb - either would have been really serious. Got off the mountain, showered and packed before the spasms started. Agony on the coach and on the plane home next day. Now prefer skiing above the tree line - and with correctly set bindings.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First sking trip and on the last day my OH decided to take me higher up to do my first red run. Got almost to the top of the mountain wih legs shaking like jelly as the run up on the steep T-bar was enough to kill me off when OH fell off the lift backwards catching me in the face with his skis both ending up in over waist deep of snow.
Then looked up and OH prompetly fainting as he'd sliced my face open with his skis I then stuck my head in the snow which quickly stopped the bleeding, crawled over to the piste and then looked down!! I managed to get down although it certainly wasn't stylish and took over an hour to do something I can now manage in about 12 minutes but it took my OH about 5 stiff shorts to recover and he refused to take me anywhere with him on the next holiday as he felt so responsible!! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thinking about it, one of the scariest expeiences wasn't even on piste. We were in baqueira beret in the spanich pyrenees, Xmas 2000. It was the day before new years eve, dec 30. There wasn;t much snow, and large parts of the resort had been closed all week Sad

HOwever, we'd found an excellent restaurant at the far end of the ski area. We'd skiied down for lunch, and as we were finishing up, one of the lifties came in to announce that the storm that had started since we sat down to eat was now so bbad that the flist were closed : we'd have to go to the cafeteria owned by the lift company to wait for transport back down the mountain.

This involed poling about 150m back up the very slight slope, then down the piste and over a bridge to tge caff.

after 10 yards we knew it wasn;t a good idea. The snow was so thick visiblity was down to about 5 yards. You couldn't hear the person ins front of behind as the wind was so loud. We ended up tunring back to the cafeteria where we'd eaten then walking along the road in single file, each holding on to the ski pole of the person in front.

Around 150 people were stucj int he cafetaria while the storm raged. They did sterling work to get the first of the buses to us withing two hours, but it was almost four hours before we left as they could ionly use the 4*$ staff buses, seating about 20 people at a time.

It must have put down about 4 feet in those four hours. And we went home the next morning. Frustrating as well as scary Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sherman-maeir wrote:
...I would add that mountain Lions are about the size of a dog and generally don't attack humans...

Are you sure you saw a mountain lion? 80-230 lbs is a lot larger than most dogs.

Mountain lion:
From: http://wonderclub.com/Wildlife/mammals/mountainlion.html
Length: head and body, 5-6 ft.
Weight: 80-230 lb.
Height: To shoulder, 24-28 in.
Tail length: 26-30 in.

Mountain lion:
Length: Head to body: 42-54 in.
Weight: 80-230 lb.
Height: To shoulder: 24-28 inches
Tail Length: 30-36 in.

Bobcat:
From: http://www.bearcountryusa.com/information.asp?ID=13
Length: 25-30 in.
Weight: 15-60 lb.
Height: To Shoulder: 12-18 in.

Lynx:
From: http://www.bearcountryusa.com/information.asp?ID=18
Length: 32-36 in.
Weight: 25-40 lb.
Height: 2-3 ft.
Tail Length: 4 in.

In an appropriate situation, mountain lions will attack people, whereas bobcats and lynx rarely will do so.

Tom / PM
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sherman-maeir wrote:

I would add that mountain Lions are about the size of a dog and generally don't attack humans.

In January, a mountain lion killed two people about a mile or two from where my cousin lives in Orange County, California.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the generally don't attack humans statement is reasonable, 14 attacks in 113 years is not exactly common, mosty big cats avoid humans but there will always be the odd one who sees you as a nice nourishing meal, and they were on the mountain first, we are on their land and we should be aware of that.

Fortunately in Europe, apart from the odd European Lynx ? and possibly an occasional wolf, neither of which is likely to attack a man, we should be safe
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most people have probably already read about my Alagna brush with death (Victoria fall) on a thread a few months ago (& Daily Mail Ski Mag), and my experience of being in an Avalanche , (but here they are if you're new) but something that happened 17 or 18 years ago still sticks in my mind.

I hadn’t skied off piste much then and didn’t know much about the dangers.

The Crystal reps at Tignes had arranged a barbecue up the mountain, by a hut just off a piste. When I was leaving the Crystal “Ski Guide”, knowing I was a better skier than the others said to me ”You don’t need to climb all the way up to the piste again: just go on down this gully and then ski left. But make sure you leave before the big rock, because the gully ends at a cliff”.

There had been heavy new snowfalls a day before, but that day was sunny and very hot. By the afternoon the snow was starting to melt. Prime avalanche conditions if I had only known.

I made first tracks down the gully but saw no big rock (the new snow had probably hidden it), but I could see the gully steepening ahead and then plunging out of sight, so I thought I’d better go left. I traversed out and found myself on a steep, convex slope that dropped over an edge to my right, falling onto some rock pinnacles. I didn’t know then that convex slopes were worse, but I could see avalanche fences 100 yards ahead on similar slopes and as I headed for them slightly uphill accross the untracked slope I felt very exposed.

I’d gone about a third of the way and suddenly there was a sharp “Crack” and a crack appeared accross the snow above me, and a fraction of a second later the snow just below me, released and went over the edge onto the rock pinnacles below with a muffled thundering noise.

I stood there shaking, wondering, if I move will the bit I’m on go too?

I couldn’t decide to go forward or back, but back would have meant some sort of Kick turn, which I wasn’t confident about doing on that slope, followed by a long climb up the gulley in deep snow. I went forward.

I inched my way accross that slope, walking as gently and smoothly as I knew how above the unavalanched slopes, my heart in my mouth, and finally reached the avalanche barriers and traversed along just above them till I could ski out on a gentle slope. Some of the longest minutes in my life!

Later I discovered that it had been one of the worst days for avalanche deaths on record!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 18-10-04 22:55; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Summer Skiing Solden 1988. Slid into a Crevasee avoiding a group of Germans . Luckily I got wedged in and onyl went down about 2 metres. One of there group were equipped with ropes so they manged to pull me out .
Few beers & a change of underwear was need Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

the odd one who sees you as a nice nourishing meal

The month I skied in Banff, a few years back, a cougar had munched a X-country skier at nearby Lake Minnewanka (not a made up name!). There is some good advice here about precautions to take in big cat country.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes well if you want to play in the same park as a big cat, walk softly and carry a big stick, note that almost all American big cat attacks either seem to happen when the cat feels a threat from the human such as when it is feeding or has cubs, or when a solitary human passes very close to a hungry cat, it is much more rare for multiple people to be attacked.

Bears are much more dangerous, a friend I used to shoot with ony survived a bear attack because he had a loaded 44 Magnum on him when it attacked his party (yes he had all the right permits) after a brief but detailed inquiry it was held that he'd done the only thing possible by killing it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Bears are much more dangerous

And humans are much more dangerous still, especially in places like South Los Angeles!

Quote:
14 attacks in 113 years is not exactly common

Although the chances of being attacked by a mountain lion are extremely remote, I think the number of attacks are on the increase. To take California, the population of both people and mountain lions has increased roughly 10-fold since 1920, so there are many more encounters. The growth of low density outer suburbs and activities such as hiking and mountain-biking contribute also. Some people think the cats have become bolder towards humans now that they are protected (there used to a bounty on them).

This page gives a fuller picture, including the superfluous advice FIGHT BACK IF ATTACKED!
snow conditions
Look big cats are one of natures most beautiful creations, if you want to go into their territory fine, just be aware that you will no longer be at the top of the food chain, humans have persecuted big cats all over the world, many are on the edges of complete extinction in the wild, it seems to me only fair that the cats should be entitled to the occasional humanburger, I believe it is refered to being survival of the fitest Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

big cats are one of natures most beautiful creations

just make that ALL cats Toofy Grin
latest report
Alan Craggs, my two would not disagree, they're currently looking over my shoulder whilst cleaning themselves Shocked
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
Look big cats are one of natures most beautiful creations, if you want to go into their territory fine, just be aware that you will no longer be at the top of the food chain, humans have persecuted big cats all over the world, many are on the edges of complete extinction in the wild, it seems to me only fair that the cats should be entitled to the occasional humanburger, I believe it is refered to being survival of the fitest Shocked

I agree. I think it is a good thing they are making a comeback in the US.
ski holidays
Possibly they could post warnings ?

Warning back country skiers may be eaten !
ski holidays
Scariest moment- Piste side bar Courchevel Jan 2004. Suddenly realised it was my round Crying or Very sad
latest report
Alan Craggs wrote:
Quote:

big cats are one of natures most beautiful creations

just make that ALL cats Toofy Grin

Except the one who keeps leaving very unlovely creations in my garden. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
years ago, when a tad more fearless, I took off a cornice behind a totally off his head canadian nutter...followed his line in (stupidly) and in mid-air realised I'd be landing in his snow pocket...so instead of a soft powder landing, a compact knee buster loomed. Time in air lasted ages and impact as guessed put me in the Verbier Doctors surgery with concussion and 5 stitches to the chin.
snow report
laundryman wrote:
This page gives a fuller picture, including the superfluous advice FIGHT BACK IF ATTACKED!

When we went to Banff a few years ago, they'd just moved all the elk out of Banff because there were so many of them, they kept getting walking out into the road and getting hit by cars. That meant the cougars were without food.... Shocked

There were a couple of stories of them attacking people. In one story, a man cycling along the road got pounced on and pulled off his bike by a cougar. A passing lorry saw what had happened and jumped out of his cab to help. He punched the cougar in the face and after a bit of a tussle, the cougar realised it'd had enough and ran off. Shocked Cool
ski holidays
going off piste (with a guide) to St Anton and finding myself miles out of my depth. It took about 3 hours to get back down and the weather was getting rapidly worse.
Scary.
ski holidays
First run of a cold, icy, day. I was with a group and hadn't had time for my customary easy warm up runs. Second turn didn't happen and I slid about 100m down the mountain before I could stop. I felt as if I would keep sliding until I reached the bottom. I just pottered for he rest of the day until I receovered my composure. Not quite in the league of some of the other accounts here, but scary enough for me.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
ski holidays
A number of years ago, on my birthday, skiing with a group of friends at a very icy Argentiere. Lunch came and involved a large number of green Chartreusse. We then took the top cable car to the glacier (that I'd never been up to), and set off. Not surprisingly I feel a few times, and having lost contact with my friends made my own way downward. Another couple of falls and I noticed that the only other skiers were in groups with guides. Fortunately one of these groups came over and checked if I was ok. They were English, and I confessed the situation. They helped me down, including what appeared to be ice bridges over crevasses, for I was on to the glacier proper. Eventually came to a sign that said experts only. My guide said you'll be ok now, so what had I just come off? My muddled brain can't quite remember everything about the journey.
Postscript: This January, for only the second time in 20 years skiing I will be spending my birthday on the slopes. With the same group!!!! My skiing is much improved now, but I can't hold my drink like I used to. Anything that I should be aware of in La Thuille?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cymru am Byth, in my (limited) experience, the wind.
snow report
Well I have had only those run-of-the-mill scary moments (and reading some peoples moments this makes me glad). The only time I had to lie still for a while and count my arms and legs was when I took a jump way too fast, bottled it on the way up, leant back, and landed what felt like a long way away on my back. I dont lean back on jumps now Very Happy
latest report
Cymru am Byth, if you will insist on drinking green Chartreuse, you deserve everything you get. Were you doing this for a bet? Laughing Look out for the Sambucca in Lat Thuile!
snow conditions
The "funniest" thing about the fatal cougar attack near Banff was that when the powers that be (I'm imagining big strapping men in mountie uniforms here), investigated they found a parallel track above the x-country ski track (also used by joggers & mountain bikers). This second track contained the tracks of FIVE different predatory animals who had been using the track as a sort of sushi conveyor belt type apparatus - just waiting for a tasty morsel to go past!

We are but mere mortals.
snow report
Alexandra, Dinner is served Laughing
snow conditions
Alexandra, There was also a second attach about the same time but the person managed to get to safety. The worrying part about this attack was that it occurred just outside the Banff Springs hotel, not some secluded x-country trail. As I had just returned from the Banff Springs I took a keen interest in this.
The cause of the attacks was interesting as it proved the cougar not at the top of the food chain. They were having to forage closer to Banff because wolves had infringed on their territory and taken their food supply.
Strength in numbers.
ski holidays
Cymru am Byth, looks like a new line in ski gear might be a good seller in the area, full plate armour for skiing anyone ? Also prevents mugging on the way back from the bar Laughing
ski holidays
Cymru, sounds as if you got onto the Pas de Chevre or goats neck, one of the great oof-piste itineries in Chamonix. In La Thuile watch out for the Genepi or the Grappa, either in Lo Reindet, which is supposed to be the best mountain restaurant in Italy or the Rascard, they're our two favourite restuarants in La Thuile. You should also have a Bombardino in the Roxi. Lo Reindet is by the side of Piste 7, the Rascard is off pite 3 or 2 but you have to do a bit of off-pitse through someone's garden and the Roxi is at the bottom of the Fourclaz chair. Enjoy!
ski holidays
David@traxvax, I only get into the Grappa when my brain has been sufficiently impaired by beer that I forget how lethal the stuff is. Did have a couple of Bombardinos in a hut on the Valle de Ley above Madesimo earlier in the year.
I need to find a decent restaurant to spend my 50th in, but my wife does not ski so it must be walkable. Added to that I don't go too much for 'formal' eating, so I prefer an understated restaurant or restaurant/bar. Either of the above meet those criteria?
snow report
David@traxvax, The webcam for La Thuille show it still snowing at village level. Can't believe that it will still be there in 3 months, but a good sign. As a local is la Rosiere having it as good.
snow report
The Rascard is easy walk from anywhere in La Thuile, it's very well known and on all the maps. Recommended in every respect, take a tip, don't order a pizza or salad for one, the portions are huge. No reason why it shouldn't be snowing now, the Col de Petit San Bernard is usually closed from November onwards. By and large if it's snowing in La Rosiere it'll be snowing in La Thuile.
snow report
Mountain cats > another reason to wear a helmet !!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy