Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for the wife

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there please help in my quandry, I am looking to get my wife some skis for her birthday, she has told me she doesnt mind what they are providing they arent heavy.

I want a c.145cm ski, but can anyone give me some ideas of pretty light skis.

Im thinking K2 Miss Ds?

Oh and shes a good skier if anyone was wondering.

Thanks for your help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
woody, what are her vital statistics? (Vital in this context being weight/height). And mostly on-piste, off-piste, a mix?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
woody, Is she a pygmy? Because otherwise 145 is very very short. Do Miss Ds go below 149?

My wife is a reasonabl skier (blacks, bumps, some powder) and is 5 ft 6 and skis on Miss Ds at 159cm

They are twin tips so you have to knock about 5cm of the length of in your calculations. But the boss likes hers - which were a cheap deal off sport conrad.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
woody, I'm 5ft 1" and ski on 154 Miss Ds. 145 would be a bit short I think, and they aren't that light either (but I might just be a wimp). They don't do them that short anyway.

(stoatsbrother, suspect 145 might be a typo for 154 ).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sorry as usual i neglect to provide all the info.

she is 5ft 4" so not tall and only weighs 8 stone.

all on piste, only managed to get her off piste once, but she did love it.

i was thinking park skis ie miss d as they are light and 149 would be fine too..........
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
woody, Still very short if she's a decent skier. My 14 year old daugter is about that tall but weighs a fair bit less and skis on 155cm twin tips.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
woody, I'd agree that a bit longer would be better, especially if she's tempted by doing a bit more off-piste. 155 sounds more like it.

A few years ago I had some Volkl skis which were definitely light (in weight). I needed those, as I struggle to carry heavy skis - especially in gondola queues where you can't have them on your shoulder - because of some arthritis in my hands. These days I don't carry them more than a couple of yards and practically never go on a gondola, so it's not so crucial, and I find skis which are a bit heavier do cut through the crud better. I'm a little taller than your wife and two stone heavier Embarassed but ski (on piste mostly) on 163 cm skis. It's a bit odd, really, that the catalogues and websites never seem to tell you how heavy skis are.

How many weeks a year do you ski?

Presumably your wife has her own boots?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My sister has Miss Demeanors at 149. She's about the same size as your wife, about as good as your one week a year Brit gets. She loves them in pretty much all conditions she's had them (from hardpack to around a foot of fresh, with everything in between), IMO (and she is quickly coming round to this viewpoint), she should definitely have at least one (and possibly two sizes) longer. Remember it's a twin and skis about 5cms shorter, pretty soft too so a decent skier won't struggle to turn them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The lightest parks skis Ive had on recently were the Movement Joysticks,

having said that I would be tempted to look at the quality of the performance of the ski on piste rather than just its weight, as some of the lighter skis can feel a bit 'flat' and dull when you ski them harder.

something heavier may actually feel lighter because of its greater responsiveness, and you may want to consider looking at a ski with a tip rocker if its a 'light feel' that she wants from her skis.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow Im impressed with all the comments.

I think that a 155 is probably about as long as she will go.

She used some salomon twins a couple of years ago, but i cant remember what they were called, but she loved them and i think they were 155 or 159.

I would say that she is a good capable skier, in need of a confidence boost.

And Pam, yes she does have her own boots.

At present we are still stuck in the 1-2 weeks a year skiing, am hoping that will increase to 3 a yr from next yr.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
just throwing a wee curve ball. I am also 5ft4, ok ok, 5ft 3.5 and 8 st. Do you particulary want twin tips. Light skis mainly for piste, as someone say (cant figure out the quotes thing properly probably due to the rioja) might be better than going soft for the sake of it as parl skis dont tend (im not saying always just tend) to be less edge grippy for the icy days. One of my quiver (soon to be reduced) are light, but really good on hard stuff as well as a bit of playing. Give Fischer Koa 78s a thought - light, edge grippy and wide enough (78 of course) to make playing in anything except deep pow fun, anf they come in a 150 which should be spot on for inducing confidence without sacrificing stability. You near a fridge that allows demos?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bitoffluff, Miss Demeanor's are more all-round than park (despite the marketing hype), and have plenty of edge grip.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
woody, don't forget those horrendous ski carriage prices now - it does make having your own skis for one week a year a dubious proposition financially, by the time you've paid the carriage and ski servicing. Of course, if you drive on holiday, and specially if you service them yourself, it makes a lot more sense providing you're not one of those who has to have the latest skis (mine are all several years old/sale bargains and anyway they live out in France).

do you live near one of the snowdomes where your wife could try out some skis and see how she likes them?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,

Thanks for the advice, we are of the lucky fraternity to have an appartment just outside morzine, and always drive as its much cheaper.

that way can get the skis out there cheaply on ski rack and then store them out there!

and nope not worried about latest skis, i mean i have a dynastar speed 63, onmiglass 64s and want a pair of 2006/7 big troubles!! not worried about latest at all, just the right ski!!

being in warwick i guess its a trip to tamworth or MK!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells wrote:
bitoffluff, Miss Demeanor's are more all-round than park (despite the marketing hype), and have plenty of edge grip.

cool, always up for learning stuff. I tour on twin tips (icelantic pilgrim) and theyve got loads edge grip on the piste - i get funny looks, but not sure thats down to the slightly strange set-up Laughing maybe the dire graphics, or maybe something else entirely NehNeh
ski holidays
woody, well if you were buying them for me, I'd fancy these http://www.filarinskis.com/skis-for-2011/ladies-skis/scott-skis-maya-ladies-2011-s10-bindings-155cm/prod_2905.html
latest report
woody, I have the 07/08 Big Troubles - awesome skis!!

Although you might not think it, a longer ski will likely give the confidence boost you mentioned. Head over to Lockwoods in Leamington, great guys who will help you out. Miss D's are definitely more all mountian than park.
latest report
clarky999,

cheers clarky, i will remember that, although my wife is very picky!! and fears the longer ski! best to get what she feels comfortable with as i cant see her spending much time trying to improve!

lockwoods are awesome, got my latest boots from there!! great service and had to order them specially in for me! cant fault them. Deffo pop in there.
snow conditions
BTW American ebay is (or at least was) full of brand new previous seasons BTs...
latest report
clarky999,

nice cheers for that, gonna go source!!
ski holidays
Skis for the wife

Seems like a good swap to me.
snow report
pam w wrote:
woody, well if you were buying them for me, I'd fancy these http://www.filarinskis.com/skis-for-2011/ladies-skis/scott-skis-maya-ladies-2011-s10-bindings-155cm/prod_2905.html

I skied with a woman who had a pair of these and she loved them. She was very small and light and a pretty good skier and used them on and off-piste with no problems.
snow report
skichampcouk, Laughing I hope that either the OP's wife never reads snowheads or she's more tolerant than I would be of being referred to as "the wife". wink
ski holidays
If I was 'the wife' I think I would my other half to encourage me to do some testing and pick my own. After all the OP runs a very real risk of getting the blame if what he picks turns out to not be suitable. I'd want to be picking my own!
latest report
Hello there, 'the wife' doesnt read snowheads, and to be honest she would be flattered to be associated with me!

And she has said to me she just wants some skis that make her ski like a dream. Simple instruction!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy