Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Once again Jeremy the ski tech at Otavalo sorted out my telemark bindings - thanks.

Remy is the shizzle
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ed123, for the past couple of days, they've covered the swampy bit in front of the lift station and restaurant with strips of astroturf. I've grown accustomed to the smell (so that's what the earth smells like after being under snow cover all winter).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G, In the same way that falling onto a swimming pool cover can be a fatal mistake, I tend to regard the grocer's grass with deep suspicion . . .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ww166no, it's a choice of either walking on the astroturf or having your boots sucked off by the mud Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zero-G,
Quote:

having your boots sucked off by the mud

I pity the pit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, judging by the pong of some peoples' boots, I too pity the pit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was a blazing hot day today with gorgeous sun. Spent the entire afternoon skiing the off-piste bumps, which had softened to just the right consistency - yummy.

That narrow track where the Point de vue, Pylônes, Blanchot and Combes converge to take you back to the lifts was dotted with pools of water and made for some amusing moments as people came flying around there at speed, only to be stopped almost dead as they skimmed the water. If conditions are the same tomorrow, I may position myself up on the side, with camera waiting Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yesterday, I had what will probably be my last skiing day of the season.

Although there is still snow at altitude (from the melt around the boulders, it looks like there is about 120cm of base left on the upper off-piste slopes of GM), the last couple of hundred metres of vertical drop back to the lifts (whether on piste or off) is just too sketchy and my bases are are taking a hammering.

Even the snow at altitude has but a small two-hour window for good consistency around mid arvo - the same time that the sections back to the lift station are pools are water.

Getting back down the mountain to Argentiere has turned into a bit of a shitfight, with the queue for the Lognan cable car starting around 1pm and snaking out onto the astroturf-covered swamp.

The alternative is to brave the gravel-laden bottom section of the Marmottons and the brown length of the Liaison (I have become quite adept at skiing up the side of the bank - the only place left without gravel on the lower slopes) to get back to the Plan Jouran chairlift, where we are loaded two-by-two, skis in our laps, back down the mountain.

Rest day today, then hiking and climbing from tomorrow for my final two weeks in Chamonix.

That all said, I keep seeing reports from tourers and ski mountaineers that there is still plenty to be had out there, so the season continues for the skilled and capable. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zero-G, I was walking Col Montets to Brevent yesterday (a great walk) and noticed that at 11am the car park at GM was almost full, just like a weekend in high season! I abandoned the skis last week.
The Bozon at Brevent finally closed yesterday.

Check out the climbing Barberine had a great day there on Friday.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On Chamonet they are saying the CdM is considering closing GM. I guess they will try and keep it open for the Easter weekend!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob, with a foehn predicted for the rest if the week, keeping GM open for the weekend may be a tad optimistic Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
I was walking Col Montets to Brevent yesterday...

What were conditions like on that route? Doing my first walk tomorrow and am trying to gauge what level of clothing and footwear are required.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G, tee shirt and shorts plus light weight approach shoes, fleece in the bag. We did the lower path with the longer section of ladders, as we had walked up from Monroc. There was a bit of snow on the path occasionally, some by the ladders, but my GF managed with only one functional arm. Spotted 3 Ibex. Snow on the path depends on aspect, you might want boots on shady slopes above 2000m for the odd patches.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perfect, thanks!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

ski holidays
Your girlfriend's not wearing a sun hat! Shocked wink
ski holidays
Can't get it over those horns.
snow conditions
Laughing
snow conditions
Great photo of the ibex!
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
.. small two-hour window for good consistency around mid arvo .. queue for the Lognan cable car starting around 1pm and snaking out onto the astroturf-covered swamp .. loaded two-by-two, skis in our laps, back down the mountain .. snowHead

Zero-G, completely agree with your observations. Would add that the chairlift leaves you soaked as the ice melts on to your lap and the seat of the chair. Plus the smell at Lognans! The pistes are best avoided - it was the first time I have seen a sign saying 'Beware - risk of long slides'!! Got back yesterday and have packed the skis away. The end of another good season.
ski holidays
rednblack, the melt pattern was ever so slightly amusing as the water trickled between your thighs and gathered under your ar$e. Looked like you'd wet yourself Laughing
snow report
Its official, GM closing Friday if not before!

http://www.chamonet.com/whats_new_article.php?id_whats_new=9437&id_back=1
ski holidays
jbob, Who is surprise Puzzled
snow report
freeheelskier, certainly not me. Its pizzing down in Argentiere right now and 12deg c by my calculation puts the snow line a couple of thousand feet above the Lognan, that could mean its finished tonight!
snow conditions

Looks like they are putting up a fight!
latest report
jbob, I hope they done that,, there is still skier in Cham,,,,
latest report
jbob wrote:
freeheelskierIts pizzing down in Argentiere right now and 12deg c by my calculation puts the snow line a couple of thousand feet above the Lognan, that could mean its finished tonight!

I was up around 2,400m altitude on the Aiguille Rouge yesterday arvo, overlooking GM on the opposite side of the valley - it was looking decidedly bare. The Lavancher side was entirely green!

The storm hit on my way down, when I was probably around 2,000m alt (I was still slightly higher than Lognan) and it rained on me. It was an awesome thunderstorm and I could actually hear the rain falling as the storm approached, before it hit me.
snow conditions
All the lifts at Brevent/Flegre and Le tour are now closed for the season, they had been open for pedestrians. I came down in the Vallorcine bubble yesterday after a lovely walk over Aig. des Possettes from Montroc. Its a great walk even if you walk all the way down. Finished off with a Demi in le Buet and a scamper over the Col des Montets before the rain, just!

PS avalanche caught some ski tourers on the Tacul on Saturday.

http://www.chamonet.com/whats_new_article.php?id_whats_new=9443&id_back=1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow report
jbob wrote:
All the lifts at Brevent/Flegre and Le tour are now closed for the season

What... no! I wanted to do one more hike on that side before I swapped over to the opposite side of the valley. I though they were going to keep the telepheriques open for hikers, mountainbikers and climbers?
snow conditions
Zero-G, CdM site says it will reopen on the 11th June. Its funny as they had put the bike trails in at Flegre. They do need some down time before the summer season to maintain the lifts.
ski holidays
nasty!!!
We just got back from touring at the Grand St Bernard, lovely day though you need to be up early.
snow report
Pointe de Drône view

Grand St Bernard - Pointe de Drône
ski holidays
Skied Grands Montets today, deserted they have done a good job to make a piste to the mid station. Started snowing in the afternoon above 2300m and it could be quite nice tomorrow high up. Very close shave with a loose boulder which came flying down from up top I just saw it in time and spun around to try and get out if the way it hit my ski and ripped it off the binding, close shave.!
ski holidays
Even though I have stashed away my ski stuff I was starting to be tempted until i got to the "loose boulder which came flying down" bit.
latest report
jbob, yeah not ideal it could have been a shocker. met a girl who had nearly been hit by two today. Must just be lack of snow at top which presumably holds the rocks together.
ski holidays
Guernseyfreerider, I though again and recon it will be a powder day for a thousand feet, (20cm over 19 cm rocks) then rained on snow to the lognon, so i am giving it a miss, but thanks for the heads up.
snow report
jbob wrote:
I thought again and reckon it will be a powder day for a thousand feet, (20cm over 19 cm rocks) then rained on snow to the lognon, so i am giving it a miss...

I've had the same "Should I? Shouldn't I?" debate with myself. Was on my terrace at 7am this morning, looking up at du Plan and de Blaitiere with their fresh coat of snow and had a little frisson of excitement. Came to the same conclusion as you.

Guernseyfreerider, ripped the ski off your binding?! Shocked
ski holidays
Zero-G, er, should have read ripped my ski out of the binding! It was nice today early doors about 15 cm up top but bone hard underneath, scary to see how exposed the crevasses are. 18 holes of golf in the afternoon,great day. Supposedly another 20cm of fresh tomrrow and it's closed, noticeably colder in town.
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
jbob wrote:
I thought again and reckon it will be a powder day for a thousand feet, (20cm over 19 cm rocks) then rained on snow to the lognon, so i am giving it a miss...

I've had the same "Should I? Shouldn't I?" debate with myself. Was on my terrace at 7am this morning, looking up at du Plan and de Blaitiere with their fresh coat of snow and had a little frisson of excitement. Came to the same conclusion as you.

Guernseyfreerider, ripped the ski off your binding?! Shocked

What!!! You were in town and didn't head up for the last alpine day!!

Friday at GM was lovely, packed to leave town in the morning then headed up with two other snowHeads about 11ish. Front face of the glacier was fresh on very icy moguls but everything off Bochard was in good nick and a final seasons ski off the back side of GM to the glacier floor and traverse out was even worth the 10 min walk back out on the muddy track. Fresh tracks !!!!!!!!!!

I had wondered why on earth they would close on a friday before May Day weekend, but when we arrived to see a BMW sponsored event of some description going on the cynical side of me decided that that they would have closed earlier if they hadn't had that booked.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy