Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice on clothes for March?

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks to everyone who helped out with last question...

I've taken the plunge and booked my first ever ski trip!!! Going to Flaine UCPA - March 12th to 19th. (now I'm too excited) Very Happy

Can anyone offer any advice on what clothes I should take at that time of year - so I can start hunting on ebay etc. Also can someone explain the difference between the types of jackets and what would be the most appropriate.

Many, many thanks,

Liz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
newbieLiz, clothes for skiing or clothes for the evening or both?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks, for skiing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
newbieLiz, layers ie ski jacket, microfleece, baselayer. You could experience blizzards, sub-zero temps +/- bluebird days when you have to reapply suncream regularly. Be prepared Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can help there - went to flaine at the same time last year ( ok this march )
like most ski resorts they can still be cold even in some sun, remember that if
this is your first ski trip, and you are having lessons you will spens a fair bit of time standing around on slopes
and thus not generating heat.

try to wear more this layers as then you can remove a layer if its too hot , its no good if you have the choice
of nothing or the mother of all sweatshirts which is way too hot - remember you need
to be comfortably warm and able to stand around.

microfleeces for layers will be good - you dont need to go mad
try places like hawkshead ( online) for good general wear fleeces that will be good for sking and also to
were out when not skiing.
for clothes try tk maxx or better yet sports direct ( dont dismiss them ) they do a range ( airwalk)
which in my opinion is more than ample skiwear ( with a layer underneath)
got a two piese set last year ( jacket & salopettes) - as good as the expensive stuff you see around, and it cost me
£60 and that was for a jacket & TWO pairs of salopettes. NEW
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
newbieLiz, decathlon is good for basics, fleeces, etc. As you don't yet know what's about to bite you, you may want the confidence of buying kit that isn't ski specific. So layering is the way to go.

Minimum, IMV...

Waterproof breathable outer layer
Mid weight fleece
Light weight fleece
Base layer

IMV ski clothing is somewhat ski specific, I tend to avoid it.

you'll want decent gloves, goggles, good specs (seaspecs.com are possibly an interesting idea), hat, etc.

None of this needs to be excessively expensive, especially if you buy stuff you can use elsewhere.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try M&M Direct http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductList.aspx?Filter=6
They have huge discounts on the ski wear at the moment Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
newbieLiz, These microfleeces are ideal Very Happy . http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330497254738 If you want to get any direct from me I can do them for £12.50 including
postage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Instead of buying a couple of packs of cheap ski tube socks buy one pair of the best quality you can afford. You will not regret it. One pair is enough. You can wash and dry them on your radiator.
Do not be tempted to buy more than two fleeces, one base layer set, one jacket, one ski pants. Save money on quantity and go for the quality you can afford. I bought stuff for a ski holiday three years ago that I still have not worn on the slopes. Yep, I got way over excited....still do.
As posted on another thread 30% off at The North Face this weekend with the discount code. They do some fantastic jackets that look great on piste and are smart enough to wear all winter. An easily justifiable expense.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aldi jacket and trousers came in at something stupid like thirty quid a set. Marks and Sparks thermals are fine, merino wool is great until the moths get to it Sad.

Dunno about the super socks, I bought some super socks which were fine until the other half tumble dried them, now they'd just about fit the cat.

A polo neck, a fleece, a jacket. Lower thermals, Tracksuit trousers is it's really cold and ski pants. Inner gloves are handy, you can take gloves off and do stuff without getting chilled.

Aldi again, you can get a perfectly decent set of gloves for a fiver.

If it turns hot, and it can, a decent fleece will do for an outer layer and dispense with the thermals.

I had a set of military surplus quilted cold weather gear that was handy for cold days. Three quarter length trousers and inner jacket. To cap it off, my cheap ski jacket bust its zip on day one, so I skied for a week in cotton camo jacket sprayed with Nev.

Avoid comical hats.

Actaully I kind of miss the days when all we had was rubbishy nylon jackets and stretch pants that were neither warm not waterproof and insulation came in the form of a a woolly hat and a big jumper with a snowflake pattern. Sure we were cold and wet through, but wringing out your leather gloves and seaboot socks was all part of the experience.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Avoid comical hats.

Puzzled

Compulsory IMV. snowHead

er, what under a new name, says for layers. TK Maxx is good, as is Matalan - they have had Trespass jackets etc which would be fine pricewise. Would recommend you take at least 2 pairs of ski gloves - one pair to wear and the others drying out. Trespass ones are ok [unless of course you have cold cold hands]. Avoid cotton t shirts - if you can get cheapish wicking tees, you only need 2 or 3 as you can wash them out and they magically dry the next day.... Tube sox are ok but as palumbex, says, the cheap ones tend to be fluffy and wear out. Good quality ones are more fitted and padded and will last an age. Again, you may only need a couple of pairs of those if you wash em out.

I don't suffer particularly from the cold, so have never needed to layer under ski trousers etc, but the DH has long johns he wears under his trousies.

You could try borrowing some gear from a kind friend to save cash on jackets etc etc.

You will love the skiing in Flaine, and you can always check out the concrete Architecture. It is a bit Marmite, but I loved it.

snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A jacket with zipped vents under the arms can be handy in March when it is getting hot. And I have at least 3 pairs of base layers as after 2 days of wear I do not want to be putting them back on and they are walking their own way into the case.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CaurnieBred, Merino wool would be good for you! Just leave them out hanging and the following day fresh! I do not do a lot of dancing apres ski these days as I once would!! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

It should be warming up in March wink
snow conditions
Lechbob wrote:

It should be warming up in March wink

This will be fine.
ski holidays
The weather can do anything in March (or April come to that). I go to Flaine most Februaries and wear "standard" ski clothing i.e. base layer (Lowe Alpine in my case), Fleece (Berghaus) and outer shell (Berghaus goretex), salopettes (Columbia waterproof) cheap tube socks and thermal long johns if it's really cold. Oh and a thinsulate hat (haven't yet used a helmet). If the wind gets up I wear a balaclava. I have snow goggles but rarely use them (my glasses mist up). ALSO, get GOOD gloves - others will recommend makes but the best I've used are my sons (Descente).

I now await criticism re. Berghaus - no, I don't have a beard or grey hair, but am getting old. Look, I started buying Berghaus 25 years ago when it was good but it is now more consumer level winter wear. The next shell will be a better make but you should only spend big money once you know you like skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy