Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tahoe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Visiting Tahoe (sqauw) for the first time next weekend as I am in the San Francisco area (live London), obviously been looking at the snow reports etc and very pleased with what I see so far!

However driving from San Francisco and the hire firm inform me that there are no snow chains and they dont do them full stop.

Are the conditions as such where its a must to have a large 4 x 4 or snow chains? I have looked online and it suggests you do but wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or tips?

Dont fancy dropping a couple of hundred bucks on chains that I will only use once?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where did you get the idea chains cost hundreds of dollars?

Hire the car, go to a department store (Kmart, Walmart, Sears etc) and buy a chain suited for that car. It only cost ~$50, give or take. Assuming you've driven with chains and knows what NOT to do, there's no reason the hiring company could figure out you've used chains on their tires.

If you don't need to use chain, you can return it when you got back to SF.

You're REQUIRED to have chains in your car if you don't have AWD with all-terrain tires, for very valid reason. Whether you need to actually use it or not is a different matter. I had, indeed driven up to Tahoe once (between storms) WITHOUT the chain, I really can't recommend it as a sound advice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hire a 4x4 and you won't need chains. Last year we drove from SFO to Squaw in the middle of the night in a raging blizzard. 4x4s were being let through but nothing else. Several big snow plough trucks were out but in spite of their best efforts there were several centimetres of snow lying on the motorway Shocked. I'm pretty sure the road would have been closed if it had got any worse, instead of chains being made compulsory.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hummer, Deffinately go for the 4x4 if you can. Roads and passes can be closed to all but 4x4 at times as mentioned above. It doesnt have to be large wink

The snow can come in very quickly and lots of it

This caught us on the way back after a great day skiing with near clear skies, the police were pulling non 4x4 over as the ploughs hadnt got to this road yet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for all the replies, I am due an upgrade so will insist on a 4 x 4, a quick call to Hertz (from the UK to the Irish call centre) was met with disbelief when I asked for snow chains from a Californian depot!

Mind you I may well need them to get to Heathrow on tues....

Thanks again all advice very much appreciated
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hummer, IIRC cable type chains which keep you legal used to cost $25-30us.

4x4s as above. We haven't been since 2003 i think but we really enjoyed skiing around Tahoe.

Bit of a storm hit once when we were there and it dumped about 3ft of snow in an afternoon Shocked Great place, enjoy it Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1) make sure the hire car is a 4wd, (ideally with a snow flake symbol on the tires), which will be let through by police under most circumstances.
2. check http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi before setting of, which will give you the latest info on road closure and chain requirements etc. You will likely be driving the 50 from Sacramento to Sout Lake Tahoe. Under most snow circumstances, the requirement will be: "CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS ". Conditions worse than this and CalTrans will close the road.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies, happy to say the roads were clear (took the 80 as we were in Napa) as well as a quick upgrade to a 4x4 just to be on the safe side.

Roll on tomorrow!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lucky you Madeye-Smiley . Squaw.com is showing a 4ft. snowbase at 7100ft. and 6ft. up top. Looking great this early in the season.

(only slightly jealous Evil or Very Mad ) Are you skiing at more than one resort?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just Squaw, words cannot describe how much fun I am having this week! And its empty!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy