Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier/4-Vallees 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
DJL, Yes, it's fine all the way into town. Tortin currently shut but will open up if there's sufficient snow.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DJL, Regarding Verbier Medran, didn't actually ski the twisting blue run to the car park area but would have thought it would be soft later on in the day. I understand from a friend who has a flat in Verbier that the car park area is being dug and a new block is being put up. Aparently a 3 bed 3 bath luxury apt will cost you over a million sterling!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We saw the state of the old car park in January. For a million I'll stick to our apartment in Chatel and drive round for the day! An hour to Le Chable and 10mins up to Medran.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anybody - is it snowing??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fifespud, barely! it's been raining in town and the stuff that has fallen is slushing up........... Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any news? Raining the PDS and thinking about driving round.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There must be someone out there. How is it?

Looking at an early start for tomorrow and driving round from Chatel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blue skies and a fair bit fell higher up yesterday, but still rain below ruinette..... time to get up the hill. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great day today. At Le Chable for a 8.50 gondola and back down at 17.30. Tired legs.

I'd say about 10-15cm of fresh snow up high. When we arrived at the top of Funispace there were 4 tracks down from Mont Gele. Needless to say there were tracks everywhere after lunch.

Early on it was perfect corduroy and stayed pretty good above about 2000m.

Signing on (or something) for the Freeride World Tour. Lots of Scandinavian accents and serious rocker in evidence. One solitary track down Bec de Rosse. Blasting at around 16.30 in that area - presumably to get the lose stuff down before tomorrow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was raining on the way from Geneva today and low cloud in resort mid-afternoon. But snowing very nicely for the last hour or more Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's been snowing off and on all day today. Freezing level has been moving up and down the hill. We've had rain and snow in Verbier itself today.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beautiful blue sky's and fresh snow Smile Reports say 10cm on top of the 20cms a few days ago. Properly freezing at Village level so up the hill should be great and stay good most of the day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back yesterday evening (Saturday) from a 2 day impulse trip to 4 Vallees to met some pals, flew out midday Thursday. Friday absolutely amazing day -first lift up from Siviez to Tortin, Chassure bubbles not out yet so straight up on main Tortin cattle-truck up to Col De Gentianes, down to La Chaux great pow en route, and then played around a bit off-piste in Lac De Vaux and then down Vallon D'arby fresh tracks before lunch, still digging out the path when we went through, 30-40cm fresh powder on top face and no tracks at all down the main gully, amazing through the trees and path in good condition to Tzoumas and BBQ lunch in the sun listening to Led Zeppelin, it doesnt get much better than that. After lunch good bezz about and then up Mont Gele, main slab very deep powder but loads of hidden rocks and hidden moguls beneath - took a couple of big falls and dinged my new Mantras and helmet saved my head! Tortin also Rocky, better in the gullys. Back down to Siviez, quick beer and onto bus for Nendaz 6pm after a big day, seriously aching legs.

Early night and Saturday unfortunately got up to rain low down and light snow up top Tracouet at Nendaz so just did a few local and sludgy pistes at Nendaz, top great with 10cm new snow, fresh tracks at top but then fell into rain and sludge - midday dart for Sion rail-station and to GVA, great train run but then into GVA airport chaos. I imagine today (Sunday) is going to be a great powder day, much colder and great viz as flew out of airport last night. Thats it until next season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone know anything about whether the link from Nendaz up Plan De Fou will be open next season? Apparently its been closed since mid January after a person unfortunately broke their neck on sheet ice and the view was that the piste was too dangerous. Is it an insurance issue, or a weather related matter? Just booked for Nendaz for next January, dont want to be bussing around to Siviez every day............ok for a day or 2 but for a week no fun.

Any advice here?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29, I think the main problem with the link via Plan De Fou, is that they couldn't use snow making facilities to keep the link open, due to environmental reasons. I guess that the accident has put the mockers on keeping it open at all. I do remember reading on here somewhere that the decision about snow making might be reviewed. Maybe the closing of the lifts is a ploy to put pressure on to get snow making installed ?

I went to Nendaz a few years ago and we only skied the link on the first day, due to the conditions, but having a car made the Siviez option very easy. We saw long queues getting the bus back at the end of the day, whereas we sailed past in the car, so I can see that bussing it would be a pain.
snow conditions
Its a weather issue.
This is, as far as I recall, the first time since 2007 that the link has closed pre april.
Generally, it gets thin and horrid at the bottom, and thats when they close it.
As GP says, the issue is tree huggers worrying about upseting the ancient larches. Its a constant bone of contention, and is due to be revisited soon. As nendaz becomes more and more developed, somethings gotta give, so hopefully this time round we will get the canons (and hopefully the up and over gondola from bottom of fontaines over to siviez)
That said, you would be pretty unlucky to find the link close in january. It only closed this year at the beginning of feb, and the conditions have been, as you know, bollrocks this year.
ski holidays
Awful in Verbier today http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75254&highlight=

snow conditions
Spent a good day in Verbier in beautiful weather yesterday (Sunday)

The snow on piste was generally very good, except for the last run or two of the day well below Ruinettes, and the last bit before hitting Siviez.

After arriving at Le Chable and having to park in the overflow car park, and then waiting for 20-25 minutes to buy a ticket I feared the worst, but it was only the Jumbo Cable Car that had a particularly bad queue (admittedly I didn't see what the queue was like at Medran). I'm sure the Jumbo queue was added to by crowds going up to see the Freeride World Tour event going on up the Bec des Rosses, which was a fantastic spectacle to watch while eating a plate full of Rosti for lunch Very Happy

The link over to Veysonnaz area is still compromised by the closure of one of the Grippon drags - you can walk up a short, steep uphill to make the link, which plenty were doing, but it's probably the last thing you want to do after suffering the longest drag lift known to man.
latest report
Markymark29, As an aside to the snow reports, I have just been looking at the Telenendaz site and there is a report in French about the their future activities and below is the relevant paragraph in French:-

INVESTISSEMENTS FUTURS
Pour l’année à venir, notre société prévoit consacrer près de 7 millions de francs à
l’augmentation du débit de la télécabine de Tracouet et à l’amélioration globale de
son offre. Elle a déjà agrandi durant cet été l’atelier et le garage de Tracouet en vue
d’accueillir plus de cabines dès 2011-2012.
A terme et en fonction de l’obtention des autorisations de construire, votre Conseil
d’administration s’est fixé, vous le savez, comme priorité la rénovation de la liaison
Haute-Nendaz/Siviez qui comprend l’enneigement de la piste de Prarion ainsi que le
remplacement du télésiège de Siviez et du téléski de Plan-du-Fou par une télécabine.
Ces investissements sont désormais urgents, les oppositions répétées aux projets d’enneigement
et de construction de nouvelles installations, causant incontestablement
un énorme préjudice financier à notre société.

Based on my limited French it would appear that they intend to renovate the link between Siviez and Haute Nendaz with snow making on Prarion,
and replacing the the chair and drag lift from Siviez to Plan du Fou with a gondola. It seems from the last paragraph of their report that the company is well aware of the problems of the having the link broken many times during the season.

As I said in a prevoius post the the M.D. of a local renatal agency said that Telenendaz has no choice but to update the link ASAP. This is even more urgent , with the extensive building programme that continues in the village of Haute Nendaz.

I cannot believe that the drag lift Greppon Blanc I described previously as "the longest drag in the world" is still broken after 10 days!!!!
latest report
DAVID SNELL, Thanks for this, appreciate your thoughts. Its clear that some investment is required, and I understand that they have 30m CHF in the bank, its when they decide to spend it I guess. Haute Nendaz needs this link and snow making facility for next season, hope they get on with it pronto!
snow conditions
DAVID SNELL, I think the motor is completely FUBAR. There's nothing on top of the lift where the motor should be and its casing is on the ground by the side of the operating drag.
snow conditions
Anyone got any info on the Siviez chair / piste?
Both showing as closed. The piste wouldnt be disasterous, but no upload / download? - Catastrophic
ski holidays
Are you confusing it with the Tortin chair? i.e. 4man chair that links to Gentianes & Chassoure
ski holidays
martinperry, Assuming you mean the 4 person chair that goes from Siviez on the flat to bottom of Tortin cable-car, and the piste that runs alongside both were fine on Saturday - would be surprised if not now.
ski holidays
Sorry - Being thick!!
Its the crappy old 2 man up towards plan du fou thats shut!!
Still not exactly promising for when I go out in 4 weeks though Sad
snow report
martinperry, sure there'll be loads of snow by then.........(he says crossing all appendages)
ski holidays
martinperry, It's my experience in April in the mountains that the weather gets warmer and the moisture rises but has to come down again, sometimes as rain but usually snow around 1400 metres. This is what I have noticed in the past that early spring conditions in Nendaz can often be very snowey!! so I agree with gilo Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Apendages crossed them!
Already a bit of a gamble, but weve had 2 great weeks in Nendaz this year already!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martinperry, As a matter of interest where do you stay? - I use the Tour-St-Martin agency and try to stay near the the gondola.
snow report
We are lucky enough to own an appartment in Residence Pracondu. Leaseback development, so costs covered by rental income, and first dibs on usage. after 15 years, lease ends, and then free to use as you wish.
50M above gondola and ski in if theres any F'in snow!!
Available for rent through:
http://www.alpvisionresidences.ch/
Sorry for the advert!!
snow report
martinperry, Whats it called, keen to have a look.
ski holidays
See above:
Residence Pracondu
ski holidays
martinperry, Computer said no............PM me some details if you get a minute sometime please, the search engine off the weblink doesnt seem to work, I gave up after 4 attempts.
ski holidays
Strange - all works fine for me???
snow conditions
Latest News I've heard today that there will be snow cannons on Prarion next season and the year after the lift installations on the link will be upgraded. This comes from a reliable source who works for Telenendaz. but seeing is believing
ski holidays
martinperry, Thanks Martin - I know the location well - the car parking there outside the blocks looks a bit of a nightmare at the moment!.

I know that Crystal Ski take an allocation in your block.

I've been going to Nendaz for the past 25 years but never got round to making a purchase - the lease purchase angle sounds quite interesting. I am a bit too old to embark on overseas purchases just now. Sad
ski holidays
Indeed, the car park is a total fiasco. Fortunatley, I bought a garage!!
If you are interested, the sales are being handled by Alpes- invest
http://www.immofuté.ch/fr/Cherchez-un-bien/Particulier/Biens-immobiliers/4120-1997-haute-nendaz.html (in french only, but gives you the Idea)

Not as attractive as when i bought in 2006 at 2.4 chf to the pound though! That said, Ive just done a 7 year mortgage fix at 2.9% in CH

Great news about the link - Lets see if the tree huggers stymie it again (apendages crossed)

Markymark - Did you get on? Im too thick to send PMs - drop me a line and I'll reply
latest report
Was out there from last Wed the 16th till Monday the 21st. Snow was great up top but a little more would be nice some great skiing to be had across the resort especially on Sunday morning when most people where heading up to watch the Freeride world tour Mont Gele was very quite early on but soon after lunch was a little more occupied.
ski holidays
taffvalais, that's excellent news - did they specify whether they were upgrading the drag on the Prarion/Plan du Fou side or the 2 seater plus drag on the Siviez/Plan du Fou side (or both!!!!)?

Off to Nendaz for last long weekend of the season Sad - Some snow/rain forecast so hopefully that will freshen things up at the top...

Presume the Greppon Blanc drag is still stuffed?
ski holidays
1556garyt I was told the plan is to do it all over the next two years

Greppon is still down
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy