Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goretex (or similar) shell bottoms that aren't black

Poster: A snowHead
Is there much out there? (apart from Norrona/Sweet which I kind of want to avoid)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
try http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/clothing/layers/shell-layer/men/ , few colours available , click on the item and it gives the choice of colours
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there are plenty but the selection that UK shops actually stock is quite limited IME
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, yeh I've been looking about this morning and not had much luck.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sport conrad aren't bad if (a) you are feeling wealthy and (b) are happy to order online

if i was in the market i'd be quite tempted by these:

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/12123

i picked up a pair of the peak performance heli pants in canada last year. they are great but i wouldn't pay the EUR500 RRP for them (or any kecks TBH)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also don't fancy paying Snow and Rock prices for what I want. Saw some Haglofs on Sport-Conrad but they look a bit fitted for my liking.
snow report
 brian
brian
Think these are mostly insulated but ...

http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Mens_Ski_and_Snowboard_Trousers.html

or some Mammut ...

http://www.mammut-shop.de/likecms.php?site=index.html&dir=&nav=588&st=ma
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scotia, look at the Burton [AK] range. Whole range is goretex, you can usually find them cheap and they don't do black.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Marmot.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Volcom do some goretex stuff too, might be hard to find in the UK tho
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
scotia, look at the Burton [AK] range. Whole range is goretex, you can usually find them cheap and they don't do black.

only downside with that is that the kecks don't usually have patches for protecting against flailing ski edges
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Funnily enough I've been half looking myself, Helly Hansen do some red ones, Arcteryx do, but I'd not pay UK prices for either of them Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
backcountry.com has all sorts of deals on at the mo - if you buy a bunch of swag the shipping costs get lost in the discounts Little Angel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

only downside with that is that the kecks don't usually have patches for protecting against flailing ski edges

No, but having had a pair for the last three seasons I'd say the damage is minimal. And behind it is your boot so you're not keeping anything dry round that area anyway.

And the odd slash looks cool.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks. Definitely some stuff to look in to Cool

Arno, will backcountry send an item so that I don't get hit with lots of import duty (if that's possible)?
ski holidays
no - they send it UPS so you will also get screwed for brokerage Mad that said, it can still produce good deals
snow conditions
Arno, ach well. I've been working it out and Dynafits work out a fair bit cheaper but they don\t seem to have much that I would like otherwise. Sport Conrad it may well be!

Who is the best to send to try and avoid the charges? Could always have it delivered to someone in the US and have them send it over...
ski holidays
look on ellis brigham's website lots of choices that are non-black glo green doesn't do it for me nor canary yellow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
scotia,Have a look here at Millet, online store in Germany sometimes good deal. Their Fall-line pant is well regarded I believe, tRied a pair in Cham in summer in sale at Millet store and nearly (and should have bought them).........a very cool looking blue pair.

http://www.woick.de/catalog/index.php?&manufacturers_id=Millet

Worth waiting to get gear in summer IMO, or on a late season trip in ski resort, usually at least 20-30% off MRP. Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 27-11-10 10:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
dan100, looking for troos without insulation, just the shell, so choices are limited!
snow conditions
scotia, Also highly recommend the Arcteryx Theta pant, goretex etc - just wear a pair of merino 3/4 thermal base layer under, good for -18c IMO. I have these and they are brilliant (albeit in black..............dont know if they do other colours), tech with high back fleecy bit and braces over, full side zips, great quality (even if they are now Saloman)!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scotia, Or you could go Kjus mad and buy these - they are superb but megabucks

http://www.kjus.com/#/en/menpants

Good for a late season purchase in St Anton - 50% off................. then only £200 a pair in St Anton last easter at Jennewein!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Markymark29, my age would need to double before I'd consider Kjus pants Wink

Thanks!
snow conditions
Ha.....................know wheat you mean! wink
ski holidays
scotia wrote:
Arno

Who is the best to send to try and avoid the charges? Could always have it delivered to someone in the US and have them send it over...

If someone sends you an xmas gift then I believe you avoid charges, there is a lot of detail on the uk customs website iirc
ski holidays
kitenski, I've been caught out 3 times by customs and its expensive!! Be careful Scotia....................cheaper to find a hilly-billy-hick on twitter/ Facebook and get them to send you them from midwest USA as a Xmas present!!
snow report
Markymark29, Exactly hence my post, how do you mean 'caught out'? I've bought from the us a number of times in the us end of season sales and you really need to factor in import duty, vat & the handling charge the courier charges.
latest report
Picked up Norrona pants today. Tried everything else and these seemed the best quality/cut. The Arc Teryx bottoms just weren't for me.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scotia wrote:
Picked up Norrona pants today. Tried everything else and these seemed the best quality/cut. The Arc Teryx bottoms just weren't for me.

The lime green pair? was tempted myself....
latest report
kitenski, they weren't quite what I was after so I ended up going with the Lofotens which weren't available at quite a heavy discount.

Did you pick anything up?
ski holidays
scotia, no, they didn't have the gloves in stock, and I decided lime green was a bit to bright for me!!

Did you get any discount??

I quite the Norrona Narvik in red, but not at £249
snow report
Where did you go for the Norrona kit? Always on the look out for a bargain!

My shell is Norrona - it's fabulous kit you won't regret it!!
latest report
kitenski, yeh a little. Still a fair whack though Sad Picked up a mid-layer too as a bit of an impulse purchase.

Tamarack has a 10% discount code at the moment too 'december10' is valid til Feb 1st.

RichardJHJ, Tamarack Outdoors were blowing out a load of stock inc. Norrona, Hestra and some others so there were some great deals going.
ski holidays
Looks like I missed it Sad
latest report
RichardJHJ, would try phoning them first thing in the morning if you want anything. It wasn't viewable online.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy