Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens/ Three valleys

Poster: A snowHead
or vallees or whatever. We have 10 days skiing over Christmas and New Year. Haven't been before, but we are trying to decide on a VT or Three Valleys family pass. Some people tell us VT has more than enough to keep you entertained for 10 days, others say that a Three Valleys pass is a must for anyone other than beginners. Obviously all of you who have been will have a divided opinion as well, but I would be grateful if you could give me your own opinions and more importantly the reasons behind why you think what you do. (We are all good intermediate skiers.... I think... blues to warm up, reds with confidence, some blacks with Immodium. surprise )

p.s. - There is about £300.00 difference between them...... I would hate to miss out on something for £300.00, but being the tightwad that I am, I would hate to pay it and not need it Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thornyhill, it would be a shame for you, as good intermediates, to miss out on the fantastic skiing that the other valleys offer. I think that, over ten days, I'd get bored with Val Thorens' pistes. I love the whole of the Three Valleys which is why I stay, for preference, in Mottaret - it's easier to get around the whole domain from there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I booked 3V passes today, staying in Reberty for 6 days. Money well spent I think, just keep going till COR-Cheval, have a drink then ski back!!, Mottaret has great slopes on the way, and not silly money for beer and food.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would definatley get the upgrade. The whole point of the 3V is you get a phemonel amount of skiing and most of it is very good. The best on piste skiing is to be found in the other two valleys and it would be a real shame to miss out on it. I would have got bored staying in the VT area when I stayed there and that was only for 6 days. A couple of people in our group didn't get the upgrade and regretted it, a couple didn't get the upgrade and were quite happy with it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers guys (and gal) - You are doing an excellent job of separating me and my cash. Does anyone know if you can get a VT pass for 10 days and upgrade a couple of days on an ad hoc basis? (The SETAM website is crap - earlier you could only book for christmas day...)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've skied the 3V at least twice a year for the past ten years. Its massive size is what makes it possible to ski it so often without getting too bored. I stay in Meribel in the 'heart' of the 3V but ski everywhere.
Most of the skiing in VT valley is above the tree-line, and whilst it is has extensive good skiing, there is something about skiing through the trees on the fantasically groomed pistes of the Courcheval valley watching the mega-rich in their real gold Chanel & Prada skiwear that I always enjoy!
I feel it would be a shame for you to be visiting the 3V and not take the opportunity to enjoy it all.
If you want to add a bit of structure to your visit you can even undertake the 3V Escapade which takes you to all four valleys of the region and entitles you to a certificate and the opportunity to purchase a pin-badge proving that you have got the most out of the region. It is all monitored by usuage of your lift-pass at the various lifts. Some people do it all in a day (only for those who ski like the wind and pre-plan with military precision) but it can be achieved easily over three days by an intermediate and taking proper lunch breaks etc. You can find out more about the 3V Escapade at any any lift pass station. It costs nothing extra to do it and get the certificate
I'm sure there must be options to upgrade single valley passes to multi-valley passes but I can't say I know the details.
A new option on a 3V lift pass has just been announced that appears to indicate that anyone skiing 8 or more days in the 3V over a season can save money by using it, pay only for the days that you actually ski and charges for it are made directly by debits to your bank account. (no need to visit a lift-pass station at all) you can find out more about this by following this link:

http://www.merinet.com/whats_new_article.php?id_whats_new=8222&id_back=1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thornyhill, yes, normally you can upgrade to full 3V area (from memory about €20 per day)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How much are you getting charged per person for your VT pass?

We got our 3 valleys pass through our TO and they were £182 each for 6 days. Seems quite reasonable to me considering the area on offer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could upgrade for a few of the days to keep costs down?

The runs at Meribel when the sun is out are superb and each of the towns have their own little character and atmosphere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, really?!? That is exceptionally good value - was it an offer the TO was running?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I couldn't imagine going to the 3 valleys and only skiing in one resort. We went to val thorens at new year once and the snow was great but it was sooo cold and well above the treeline so I think you'd want to ski over to meribel to get some variety. As long as you are confident on reds I'd go for the 3 valley pass.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thornyhill, I only ski in the Three Valleys once a year (from November to May Toofy Grin ) - it'd be a shame to be in ValTho and miss out on experiencing what the rest of the 3V has to offer. You never know when you'll have the chance to go back again
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3V definitely. Apart from anything else, you will probably want to chase the weather. If visibility is bad, head for the tree-lined runs between Mottaret and Meribel. Saulire gets late sun. It might be snowing in Courchevel and the sun out on La Masse... Do you really want to restrict yourself when the whle point of the 3Vs is the vaste range of skiing on offer. You can get between valleys so quickly too. The lift system is magnificent.

snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, don't know if it was an offer, but i snapped them up for that price. TO is esprit.

Chris Bish, you put it very well Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Get the full 3V pass you loony. You'll get to the top of Chambre or 3 Marches, look down into a beautiful valley and have to turn back, cursing yourself for being such a tight wad.
snow conditions
Have ski'd in the 3V many times and I can certainly confirm that the 4 valleys rally is a real run challenge, especially when you're charging down into Meribel to make the last chair up back into Courchevel. (I still don't like that last little right hand turn at the bottom as it's usually crowded and snow'd out or icy.)

Am back in 1850 in feb, but with the family so will be lucky to get outside the 1st valley. Still looking forward to Boeuf Bourginion with pasta in the Bel Air...

Now just got to see if I can get a couple of weekend passes in between and after from SWMBO.
snow conditions
Hi
I have lived in Val Thorens for the last 4 years and i would recommend a Belleville pass with several day upgrades to the 3v. The Belleville (VT, Les Menuires, St Martin, Orelle) is big enough for the first few days and with the day upgrades you can pop over to Meribel any time you like without having to go to the lift office. This way you only buy the upgrades when you need them.

Stu
snow report
Hi all,

Thi is my first post here - don't want to start a new thread but this is 3 Valleys related so hopefully this is the right place to post...

We're driving to Les Menuires from Northampton on 8th Jan (Chunnel at 07:00) and returning on 15th. We need to be back in Milton Keynes by 5pm on the 15th as 2 of our party have to work in the evening. Would like to ask what time we would need to set off in the morning of 15th Jan to get back in time? Would there be a lot of traffic around then or should it be quiet? We haven't driven before so have no idea of what to expect. We have used viamichelin.com for the route and are using their 'recommended' route which uses the toll roads.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance snowHead

Roll on January!!!!!

Chris
snow conditions
coxy84, Welcome to Snowheads

The French roads should be fairly quiet that Saturday as you are outside of any holiday period. Use the toll roads, it'll take weeks otherwise!

I can't comment on the UK roads
snow report
Hi Chris

It should take you around 10 hours to drive from Les Menuires to Calais. It depends on how fast you drive and how long your stops are of course. But it's a good estimate. Stay away from Paris and go via Dijon - Troyes - Reims instead. Also go around Lyon not through the City. The signs are not too great around here so have a look at a map before hand so you know the area.
Follow the main road down from Les Menuires and not turn off just after St Martin as most Sat Navs tell you to do!
Toll roads all the way!!! Should cost you around 50€ each way.
More travel details are here. http://www.skigb.com/val-thorens-travel-by-car.html

Hope this helps.

Stu
snow conditions
coxy84, welcome to snowHeads Cool

Working backward, if one allows for 2.5 hours from Dover to MK, another 2 hours for queuing, boarding, travelling, disembarking on the Chunnel and what? Eight hours from resort to the Channel (assuming sustaining a good 110kph ish on the autoroutes)? 12.5 hours, then stops for food/rest/petrol - another 1.5 hours?
So 14 in total less the hour's difference. Leave at around 4am? Doesn't leave much for the 2 workers to get changed and to work though.....

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 26-11-10 14:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
to the OP. I had the same debate with my first trip to 3V last year. I was advised to just get the full lift pass and was delighted that i did. We used the whole pass every day of our trip. VT is great and there is plenty to do but you'll want to get over the hills and see all the valleys.

it is technically possible to save a few pounds by doing the Belleville pass and day upgrades but the problem is you need to plan when you are going to go to the other valleys and i would hate to have to do that on holiday. i just wanted the freedom to go everywhere.

3V pass. Do it.

ps sounds like an awesome trip - jealous.
ski holidays
coxy84, We allow 10 hours + for the french side of the trip alone. On a easy trip last year it was nearer 12 hours Les Arc to Calais.
It is possible to maintain good rate on the autoroutes but you are leaving yourself no room for any form of delay. Factor in the tunnel wait, 1 hour difference on the clock, then the UK part, i'd think 15 +hours may be more realistic. Good luck.

Thornyhill,
Definitely a full 3V pass, assuming area is fully open. I'd be surprised if it isn't at that time of year though!
snow report
Thornyhill, I'd go for the 3 (actually now 4) valleys pass, but the alternative is not the Val Thorens local pass but, as a couple of people have mentioned, the Belleville pass (which is the whole valley) plus upgrades. The very local Val Thorens pass is too restrictive.
snow conditions
shoogly wrote:
How much are you getting charged per person for your VT pass?

We got our 3 valleys pass through our TO and they were £182 each for 6 days. Seems quite reasonable to me considering the area on offer.

700 quid for 4 of us for 10 days in VT, or a grand for the three valleys.

Anyway - Thanks for all you inputs. Looks like it will be a democratic three valleys pass then. Even using a daily upgrade doesn't make sense. If we upgrade three days it will cost us the same, but we will be limited for the other 7 days.

Dr John - don't sit on the fence now Very Happy
snow conditions
I'd have to agree with the majority and say full 3v pass. The Belleville pass as next alternative. I've been to the 3v 4 times now and apart from my first day on real snow I've done more than 1 valley every day.
I've never tried the "escapade" but I did have fun trying to do every 3v village in one day. Just did it, catching the last lift from MeribelVillage to get home.
snow report
Looks like a few posts here from people who spend a lot of time out the 3V - anybody found a good way to get any discount on a season pass for the 3V? We could do with the family one - the season pass through the normal route is Euro 3184 which does make your toes open and close so it's a good job they get really well used but hints on getting a discount would be well received! We do have a place out there but not been eligible for any local discount so far.
ski holidays
alti - dude, some places offer a discount if you buy well in advance, but as far as I know, it isn't legal in France to offer a discount to a resident or home-owner and I think most places in France have stopped doing it now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alti - dude, Unfortunately not. Even as local residents, although we can get a discount on a season pass for Méribel, but not for the whole of the 3V.
snow conditions
dont think you can get a Bellville Family pass.
latest report
Val Thorens residents can only get a discount for the Val Thorens pass, not even the Belleville. Sadly. You haven't heard this from me..... but if you had a work contract you would get a discount on the belleville pass. A simple A4 bit of paper with a logo, a bit of writing and a signiture is enough. They get 5000 work applications so they don't check each one! This late in the season you will need a company stamp, which i'm sure you can get. Wink
Don't think you would get away with it for the family though! Smile

I'm not saying you should do this though Mr Lawyer.
ski holidays
Jeez - You guys must cover some mileage. We got the three valleys pass, and felt obliged to leave VT for the last three days to justify the cost. Courcheval is terrible. It is full of rich people who can't ski. There aren't even any hills. Motarret is good, but not better than VT. LM is OK, but you always end up pushing yourself along or queueing for a lift. We had the best skiing on the 'interesting' bits at the sharp end of VT and Orelle. I honestly think that I could spend a week finding new ways to scare myself from the top of the Orelle lifts. They haven't piste'ed Col for a couple of weeks, so the car sized moguls make it very interesting. The glacier run in VT was only open for a couple of days, but it was excellent when it was open. If I went back, I would only do VT and Orelle. The effort of getting to the decent runs in Meribel don't justify the cost. Maybe if you were based in Courcheval, the additional cost would be worth it to find some hills
snow conditions
Thornyhill, a lot of people (including me) say the best place to stay in the 3V is Mottaret - from there you can ski in all the valleys each day if you want to. There are some wonderful runs in Courchevel, by the way, as there are in each of the valleys. The poxiest of the actual resorts is...well, it's a contest between Val Thorens and Les Menuires. wink
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:
Courcheval is terrible. It is full of rich people who can't ski There aren't even any hills.

Thornyhill, yeh Courchevel sucks, stay well clear please Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 6-01-11 0:56; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
kitenski, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

All those photos are from Tignes as Courchevel has no hills Wink
snow report
Thornyhill, whilst the sun has been out and it's been nice skiing weather, not the best week to see the 3V snow as it has been a bit slippy generally - glad you got to enjoy the Orelle snow as it's probably been some of the best in the 3V this week. Bumps have started to get a little interesting down the Combe de Rosael though !
snow report
to be fair, this is taken between 2 pistes in Courchevel on a peak Easter week, the tracks are ours....all other pics cannot possibly be from the same area.............can they?????

snow conditions
We got the 3V pass the last time we stayed in Courchevel and never used it.

Will be just getting the Courchevel pass this year and maybe a day pass if needed.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

All those photos are from Tignes as Courchevel has no hills Wink

Razz

To be fair we didn't get the chance to spend too much time in Courcheve/a/e/a/e/a/e/l (delete as required) By the time you get from VT to Courchevel with New Years Day lift queues (and a massive hangover) we were probably only there for 2-3 hours. If I was going again to do a 3 valleys trip I would stay in Mottaret (How come Hurtle is always right?) for easy access in any direction. I would certainly do VT again, but probably only with a local pass and occasional upgrade. I don't tend to see the resorts too much. Ski from lift opening to lift closing. Lunch is usually eaten on a lift so as not to waste ski time. Once the lifts are closed, gear off, shower try and stay awake through dinner and a quick guzzle of vin rouge, then fall asleep in the corner until it is time to start again. (This annoys OH immensely. - She thinks it is a 'ski holiday' with a lazy two hour lunch and the occasional lie in until 9.00 AM. WTF - I can have a a two hour lunch and a lie in the other 350/55/60 days of the year. When will she understand it is a 'ski trip'..... no mention of holiday)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy