Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski trip 2 January Father and Son

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone

I've been a lurker for some time and I should be grateful for any hints or tips.

I'm hoping to take my son who's 8 skiing in the new year just before he starts school. He's been skiing for a week before but the intention is to improve his skiing so I can take more ski holidays with him.

The issue is that a friend of mine wants to join us and we've agreed that we're not all going to share a room as he does not (understandably) want to share with an 8 year old.

Does anyone have any ideas on who to book with (and where to ski) and where I can get my son ski lessons and be able to ski with my friend without him being hit by huge single supplements?

We're all based in London!

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Welcome to snowheads!

I don't know if it helps but we've got a chalet in Les Coches in the heart of Paradiski. It's a great resort for beginners / improvers and there is an Evolution 2 ski school with a great reputation in the village.

We've still got availability for that week, and we do single rooms with no extra supplement. So, you could have a twin and a single next to each other in a private area of the chalet. We don't include flights I'm afraid but snowjet.co.uk who fly to Chambery (our closest airport) have just reduced their Jan flights to £49 pp each way including taxes etc.

If it sounds like that would suit, either drop me a message or click on the tag line at the bottom of this message to have a look at the website.

Hopefully see you out in France . . .

Heather
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kev7117, That's a fairly quiet time. Why not choose a resort and rent an apartment, it shouldn't cost much then. Either drive or fly/transfer from somewhere like Geneva.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kev7117, welcome to snowheads. snowHead That's low season, so you should be OK for accommodation just about anywhere. An apartment is a good suggestion - it keeps prices down to be able to get yourselves snacks, and breakfast (take the 8 year olds favourite cereals) and you can go out to restaurants if you don't want to cook.

One place with a good ski school and loads of accommodation options is Les Gets.

If you can fit in a trip before school starts your son's school must start later than my family's - they're all back (teachers and pupils) v early in the new year.

What are your actual dates?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kev7117, One place that springs to mind is Alpe D'Huez. The first time I took my kids they were about the same age as your son and they loved all the nice easy green runs just above the town and quickly progressed upto the blue and red runs. Whilst there is more challenging terrain available and even some off-piste for the more adventurous. The lesson meeting point was quite central so it was easy to pick the kids up at lunchtime.

From memory we stayed at a 4 person apartment in the Piere et Vacance (spelling?) building in the Les Bergers area. That worked quite well as it had twin beds in a seperate room so I could put the kids to bed earlier, I slept on the sofa bed. That was about 10 years ago so apologies if everything has since changed. Be careful with French apartments, most of the smaller 4 person ones are the size of shoe box with just one room with bunk beds in one corner and a sofa bed so forget any privacy or putting junior to bed early. Make sure you check the apartment layout before you book.

I was chatting to my son the other day, he's now 21 and he was recalling that holiday. He is permanently scarred by memories of me dancing around tha apartment in my long johns and cooking super noodles with frankfurters every night. But he loved every minute really so I hope you have as much fun with your son too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kev

The only advice I can offer is to spend as much time on the slopes with your son as possible. I had a couple of weeks a year skiing with my son from the age of 9 'til around 13 and they were among the most enjoyable times of my life. Treasure every second.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would second Dorset Andy, suggestion of Alpe D'Huez loads of gentle slopes around the resort. Flight to Grenoble and Bens Bus transfer to resort. I liked Les Bergers area too, most of the apartments are ski in/out or very near to anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kev7117, Hi Lurker, welcome to snowHead 's.
Have sent you a PM.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dear All

Thanks a lot for all your very helpful responses. There was me resigned to dropping ££££ at Club Med, but you've given me loads of good options.

Thank you also to the pm(s) sent.

Apologies for the delay in responding. Was away on business with internet access at a cost of £15 a day!

Best regards

Kevin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's a direct recommendation. I have no commercial interest, just stay with them and it's good with different size rooms, run by a family with children so has a nice atmosphere from your perspective.

On chaletfinders.co.uk, Samoens / Verchaix, Chalet Isabella, owners Sarahjane + Jimmy.

Good skiing for mixed ability, skied many of the runs with my son now age 7, good variety of experience without getting too far away from base so no really long runs to return when tired.

Took friends with 2 kids this year and the Esf in Morillon had them competent in 5 days from a non-ski start point.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy