Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

XC Nordic Skiing in Norway/Sweden: Place to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a place to stay for a nordic ski vacation in Norway or Sweden.

Looking for a place that is like a nice inn - hotel - B&B that offers access to cross country - nordic ski trails on site (or very very close). The ideal place would be not too expensive, but offer comfortable accommodations, and great food included in the stay package.

If anyone is familiar with the former Far Hills Inn in Val-Morin, Quebec - that's what I'm hoping to find in Norway or Sweden Happy

I know this may be a bit much to hope for. But if you know if anything like this or close to it, please let me know.

Thanks,
Wayne
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WayneM, can't help with that, but welcome to Snowheads. The place you're looking for sounds very pleasant! Hope you find it. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depending on what you want you try Hotel Venabu about 1 hour north of Lillehamer it is a fjell hotel situated on its own with nothing else in near it. they do fairly good full board packages with buffet breakfast and lunch and then a served dinner they have a spa and can also rent you ski's if you do not have them. They do a free transfer from the bearby train station which you can get to direct from Oslo the town is called Ringebu.

The cross country skiing from the hotel is immense with loops from 7.5km's to 50 km's and loads of choices of trails. From the hotel you can also do some overnight trips staying in the TNT huts.

If you want more info on places with a bit more to tehm let me know I have skied quite a few places in Norway. In Sweden one place I would say is Tansdalen but do not much about it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at fjordpass.no.
I used this in the summer and get some cracking deals My favourite was the Kviknes hotel in Ballestrand at the top of the Songnefjord.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richiavo wrote:
Depending on what you want you try Hotel Venabu ....
... In Sweden one place I would say is Tansdalen but do not much about it.

Hi Richiavo - thanks for that information. The Hotel Venabu looks interesting, and could work.

If you have a couple more ideas that would be great Happy

I was not able to find anything on google about "Tansdalen".

Thanks,
Wayne
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
glasgowcyclops wrote:
Have a look at fjordpass.no....

I'll check it out.

Thanks,
Wayne
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seconded for Venabu Fjellhotel. Excellent xc skiing & food.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Geilo is totally different from Venabu it is more famous for its downhill skiing but equally has some great cross country skiing all set the hardangervida(dodgy spelling) national park. there are a choice of hotels which include two of the best in Norway Dr Holms and one on the Vestlialia side cannot remember the name but also has many other cheaper hotels a favourite of mine is the Uustedalen whihc is very friendly has its own pool and is about a 5 minute walk to the tracks.. It gives you the added bonus of a town whicc whilst being a downhill resort is still very quiet especially weekdays and away from school holidays. You do need to take the chairlift to access some of the tracks though. Again from here you can do some hut to hut skiing as well.

The other place I know well is Rondablikk Hoyfjellshotel whihc is in the Rondane, pretty similar to Venabu but closer to a main town again you can reach it by train from Oslo, the hotel is slightly more upmarket than Venabu and has a indoor swimming pool. There is a vast amount of skiing from the hotel with some great circular routes.

I will have to look up the place in Sweden.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The place in Sweden is Tanndalen they have a town website check it out
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its' been 16yrs since I was last there, but the DNT Finsehytta is OK, and the Hardanger Vidda is an incredible place.

hardangervidda
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WayneM,
Hi and Welcome to Snowheads!

I travel to Norway quite a lot and may be able to suggest some places.

Could you let us know a bit more about what you want? For example, what sort of ski-ing do you like to do? Mountains or forests? Flat or hilly skiing? On- or off-track? Do you need to hire skis? Would you want lessons? Would you mind being in a hotel where the first language of everyone else there is not English? Are you after somewhere with some Apres-ski? Do you need to be able to get there with public transport? What attracts you about Norway and Sweden?

As some general points about Norwegian Hotels, you asked for comfortable, great food, and not expensive. You may manage two out of three - Norway is not a cheap country, but I do think the hotels are good value for money, at least compared with British hotels. Nearly everything else is very expensive, but the ski-trails are free.

Norwegian mountain [høyfjells] hotels are a great tradition. There are a lot of them in the good outdoor areas. They are often in quite isolated locations, and on the tree-line to give a choice of ski-ing. I have never found one where you cannot ski from the door. They usually have excellent food (especially if you like fish), comfortable rooms, facilities for skiers such as wax-rooms, and some non-skiing activities.

Another great institution is the DNT (Norwegian Trekking Association) mountain huts, which vary from a one-room cabin with no facilities other than a fireplace to staffed huts which are basic hotel standard.

And Norwegians love their log cabins. These can be rented all over the country, and again vary from one-room shacks (with an outside loo (no joke at -30)), to quite palatial second homes.

Link here to the tourist board website:
http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Articles/Theme/What-to-do/Active-holiday/Skiing-in-Norway/Popular-areas-for-cross-country-skiing/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Høgfjellshotell in Gala (Norway) - my wife and sons learnt to ski here - the "resort" has downhill, although not much, but loads of cross country trails. Hotel was small, comfortable, good food (different buffet every night) and an outdoor swimming pool (!)

Not a place for vegetarians though. If you didn't like reindeer meat or pickled fish (many, many varieties of each) you would starve.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Geilo. We stayed at the Vestlia which was the hotel Richiavo could not remember.
snow conditions
 hippychick253
hippychick253
Hello Nordicfan, I hope you don't mind if I " pick your brains" too?
We"re looking to xc ski in Norway too, ( we've done Austria a number of times 😊).
We like to skate ski on groomed/prepared tracks, preferably flat-ish, forests are good.
Not bothered if the first language isn't English, don't really drink so not bothered with apres-ski 😊
Very happy to eat what ever is cooked for us at the hotel. Not bothered if it's loads of fish!

We have our own skate skis and don't need lessons.

Don't really want to do overnight stays in cabins, when we ski, we don't like to take rucksacks, just what we need for the day in our pockets 😊
We'd be flying from the UK, so would prefer a shorter transfer from the airport to a long one, but I appreciate that may not be available.
We'd probably be going Feb-April 2019... I'd really love to see the Northern lights too 😊
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would also recommend Venabu, reasonable ski hire, excellent Norwegian food, miles of well groomed ski trails, also guided ski trips.

A few other suggestions, Sjusjoen just North of Lillerhammer. Lots of loupe. Nice hotel.
Kvitavatn Fjellstoge above Rjukan, good for off track and track.

Some where very unusual Mosstrond tourist hutte. It's an old boarding school on an island you arrive by snow mobile. Have a look at Exodus holidays they run holidays there and also to Kvitavatn and Venabu.
ski holidays
If you want to see Northern lights consider, Finish Lapland, fantastic track skiing.
ski holidays
Sjusjoen, Gala, and Finnish Lapland probably best for skate skiing, kvitavatn pretty steep.not sure if all of Venabu's track cut for skating
snow report
 hippychick253
hippychick253
Thank you, Teletart, really appreciate the info, been trying to find out stuff on t'internet, very frustrating, can't find out from the route maps if it's groomed/ suitable to skate ski, or the level of difficulty of each run 😐
snow conditions
I worked in Norway for e0 pluses yrs teaching and guiding xc holidays so an questions please ask. Happy to help
ski holidays
 hippychick253
hippychick253
Teletart, I've just looked at Exodus.... It all seems to be skiing in a group, with a 'guide'... We just want to ski on our own, no groups 😊
snow report
Yes they are organised holidays, but the brochure can give you some ideas, for doing your own thing a few of the downhill companies can offer good value for flights and accommodation, I've used Inghams and Neilsons to go to Finnish Lapland, where the skate skiing is amazing. Easy to organise your own thing to most places in Norway.
latest report
@hippychick253

At www.skisporet.no you can find nearly every prepared ski track in Norway with real-time info on when it was last prepared.

You’ll find the best skate tracks around big cities and ski resorts.
snow report
 hippychick253
hippychick253
Thank you Spoon!! 😊
snow report
 hippychick253
hippychick253
Spoon, can I ask how I tell how easy or difficult the loipes/ tracks are? There is a colour code at the side of the map, but it describes loipes/ tracks in hours & days!
snow conditions
List for Sweden (paste into chrome browser to translate) http://www.skidforum.se/index.php/topic/545-sveriges-b%C3%A4sta-l%C3%A4ngdskidsp%C3%A5r/

I can only comment on Hogbo bruk (no.9) as being 1.5 hours north of Stockholm Arlanda airport. Not stayed at the Hogbo bruk hotel but the whole setting is quite idillic.
snow report
The colors only indicate when the tracks was last prepared (green=within the last 3 hours (timer)).

If you click on the coloured tracks, you’ll get an info pop up box which will show you the length (lengde), when it was last prepared (oppdatert) and if it is classic and/or skate (egenskaper). Nearly all classic tracks can be used for skating.

And if you click on the graph icon you’ll get an elevation plot.
snow conditions
 hippychick253
hippychick253
Thank you 😊
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy