Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aravis - Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz etc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
gvj, Sounds good - are you out in GB in March at all - we are going 19th - 26th if you fancy meeting up.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
excellent !
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loatie,
Quote:
if you fancy meeting up

Sadly we won't be back until after Easter now but I'll try & PM you if I can remember how
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got back yesterday - Very warm and sunny week which sadly meant that even in the time that we were there conditions had deteriorated. That said, the aspect of the slopes saved the day and there was still some good skiing to be had especially on the Maroly sector where it remains lovely and white and surprisingly we had one of the best days yesterday finding some nice snow heading left from the Maroly lift and dropping down off the piste and skiing past the lake. Timing is crucial but if you get it right there is definitely still a good few hours to ski each day. Elsewhere, brown patches and grass are rapidly breaking through and Joyere sector closed in the middle of last week. Had a day in Les Contamines where it was snow covered but very heavy going and spent a day in La Clusaz where the best conditions were in La Balme.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're back out April 9th so hoping that the forecat precipitation falls as snow as low as poss..... I see they're advertising deals at the local water park on the LGB website - hope we don't end up swimming. Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MazDave, Fingers crossed for you - if it does fall as snow the pisteurs are doing an absolutely fantastic job keeping things going and as mentioned above, the Maroly sector is still lovely at the moment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drove back from Geneva via La Clusaz today, and had a particularly good cup of coffee, beautifully presented with a small biscuit, in a pretty restaurant, grand total of 2.40 for two. Not all French resorts are a rip-off! Runs back down the resort looked a little ropey, but people still skiing down. But just as we drove out towards the Col, the rain started. Sad Grim driving up through brown slush and grot in Notre Dame de Bellecombe - especially in rain. Sad Was 2 degrees and sleeting in Les Saisies, where pistes down into the village have also deteriorated very markedly in the last week of very warm temperatures and uninterrupted sun.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK so I'm resigned to the fact that we'll be swimming.....rolling eyes

As we're driving and based in Chinaillon where would you drive to to get some more altitude and have half a chance of skiing a bit next week?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MazDave, there's more open in Les Saisies than in La Clusaz, but I think more will close before the end of the week and I wouldn't think it would be worth much of a drive. On the other hand, if the weather is sunny, there are lots of good things to do other than ski. If you're determined to ski on some half decent snow I guess the Grand Montets is your best bet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Maroly sector might still be ok. You could also try the La Balme sector of La Clusaz, its the highest and shadiest part of the domain and is about 25 min drive from Chinaillon. If its no good up there then you could be struggling for anywhere better within an hours drive I think
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks both - we have readjusted our expectations from a ski holiday to a holiday with maybe a bit of skiing... My "glass half full" wife says we might enjoy exploring the area for a change having been there so often without really travelling around much. I'm minded to agree with her.

Beats working whichever way. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a nice walk from Chinaillon down to GB(if you have the walkers map) takes about 1 hour and you can get ski bus back up. Be sure to see the massive waterfall right under our noses ( signposted mystereuse something or other on the path not far from Chinaillon !)
We went to Les Contamines via the back door from Hautluce which is a scenic 80 min drive from Chinaillon taking in the col de aravis,Giattaz, Flumet, Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Les Saissies. No guarantee the snows any better but could still be skiable as its a bit higher. Don't think the outdoor pool in GB is open yet though!!
Thones is also quite a pleasant place to walk about and maybe have a bite to eat.
Your wife is right, plenty of other things to do and see. How about the weds eve guided walk that finishes with a full on savoiarde dinner at the Chalet Veney just up the valley!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well it's all over here. Skiied the last day the resort was open on Sunday and it was sketchy to say the least - only Maroly area open.
Been to La Clusaz (Balme) for the last couple of days - holding up well at the top but busy and the kids are getting bored of the limited options.
Day trip to Annecy on Monday was good with a boat around the lake etc.

Looking forward to starting a new thread late this year as we think about Christmas/New Year trip....

TTFN
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Day trip to Annecy on Monday was good with a boat around the lake etc.

Annecy was glorious today, wall to wall sunshine. We hired bikes and did just a small ride, as we had 7 year old grand-daughter with us, and she's only just learnt to ride a bike. 'twas a good excuse to take it easy and stop frequently for sandwiches, beers, coffees, ice creams, etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MazDave,
Quote:

Looking forward to starting a new thread late this year as we think about Christmas/New Year trip....

+1 Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy