Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backcountry / Nordic Touring Skis and Boots - any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
DH and I are looking to buy backcountry boots and skis this Winter. We already have skinny track skis we've used in Finland and Sweden but are looking to get more out into the backcountry in Scotland and also hut to hut in Sweden.

We're not looking for ski mountaineering kit - more metal edged gear that will take a trip onto Ben Macdui, down the Lairigh Ghru (sp?!) or out on the Monadliath.

We've looked at the Fischer 109s from Braemar Mountain sports and also the Madshus range from Euroski.

Any comments / experience / advice please? I so don't get how you buy online - but think we're gonna have to!

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Asnes of Norway do some excellent kit

Something like the Asnes Holmenkollen might be worth a look

Personally, I'd go for a fairly stiff leather boot, as opposed to the plastic type - bit more comfortable and better to walk in.

Wouldn't get fishscale bases either - just don't slide right - don't really give enough traction going uphill either
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply - don't think Asnes are available in the UK though.

Interested in your boots comments though - do the plastic type boots not give a better control on trickier descents? Will I be walking much in my boots? Ah - I get it. In Scotland especially you can be walking OUT TO the snow. Hmm - that's a really good point!

Agree with you about fishscale - hate them and my skinnies are waxable although have been cheating about with grip tape which I find brilliant.

Thanks. Any other comments much appreciated!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like the Fisher range, Boundless, Outabounds, etc from the sbound series eg http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/all/c-skis/skidiscipline-nordictouring/f/?osCsid=8c2197bd1483e2b24f1718c08823984a

Gives a range of widths and sidecuts to suit your taste

I have a waxing version of the old Boundless from a few years ago, but one of the crown (fishscale) versions is probably better for Scotland. The S Bound series are designed so the fishscales don't interfere with the edges when turning. They turn easily and aren't too heavy.

Could mount with a staright 3 pin binding, but a basic cable binding would give more control on the downhills. Personally I'd go for a low plastic boot such as a Crispi XT Tour or Garmont Exursion or Scarpa T4 you'll get more control than a leather boot, but there still pretty easy to skin or kick and glide in. I've never had problems walking in my Crispis.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, plastics give you very good control, allowing 'easy' telemarking - however, at the expense of weight, comfort and ease of stride - but I guess alots down to personal preferences and where you're heading.
I really rate my old Crispi Telemark Super's.

Asnes are hard to get hold of outside Norway ( Google translate version of the asnes website )

This is their online shop: www.whiteplanet.net

If you're looking for bargain, search ebay for ex-mod/nato cross country skis - they are normally these

Paid about £60 for mine - brand new, never used. Might be a bit OTT for your needs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Check into the Madshus Annum, Eon, and Epoch. They were formerly the Karhu 10th Mountain, Guide and XCD GT. I've mounted them with everything from a three pin binding, G3 Targa, to even a Dynafit! Ultra versatile skis that tour great and turn far better than you think.

http://www.madshus.com/skis?category=cross-country-downhill
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Horsley wrote:
Could mount with a staright 3 pin binding, but a basic cable binding would give more control on the downhills. Personally I'd go for a low plastic boot such as a Crispi XT Tour or Garmont Exursion or Scarpa T4 you'll get more control than a leather boot, but there still pretty easy to skin or kick and glide in. I've never had problems walking in my Crispis.
Do you know where I can get something like this from in the UK??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try Mountain Spirit in Aveimore, or Cairngorm Mountain Sports in Aveimore or Breamar Mountainsports in Braemar. I've bought the Viole 3 pin and cable binding from mountainspirit a few years ago. They're not on their websites now, but may be available in the shops.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Dave. I'd looked on their websites and couldn't see anything. It's rather a long way to pop over so I'll try an email now I've got a lead snowHead .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
peura, http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/all/c-bindings/skidiscipline-telemark/bindingtype-threepinbindings/f/

They are not in the UK but do mail order.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nordicfan, thanks I'd noted they even do this http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/voile3pincabletoepieces-p-637.html but only the toe piece. How many other parts are there? (I've emailed them a week ago but no reply yet).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A pair of cables should be all you need, plus perhaps a riser plate and heel plate to mount them on. Having a riser plate and heel plate allows:

1) to have climbing bars on the heel plate
2) remove the cable from the boot and clip it behind the heel plate for the uphills

The alternative is to remove the cable all together for the uphills, but its much more of a faff to remove and replace.

Give Rob a phone at mountainspirit - you never know what he may have. I ripped a 7TM binding out of my ski last year and broke part of the binding - got a whole new release section from Rob from his box of bits for £20. Doesn't quite match colour wise, but should do the job - now all I need is some new skis to put them on.

One of these
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/7tmreleasehousingunit-p-587.html
not sure if there price is for one or a pair - I assume a pair.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Dave Smile . Looking at the forecast I should have got around to doing this sooner... Laughing . I'm not thinking of tackling anything too epic (just the local forests) but the idea of a (lightweight) cable appeals somewhat but I might not need even that - good to have the option though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peura wrote:
nordicfan, (I've emailed them a week ago but no reply yet).

I have always found they reply really quickly, so it might be worth trying again in case your message has gone astray. I don't think their new website is working properly yet.

Here is a contact address to try:
enquiries@telemark-pyrenees.com
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nordicfan wrote:
peura wrote:
nordicfan, (I've emailed them a week ago but no reply yet).

I have always found they reply really quickly, so it might be worth trying again in case your message has gone astray. I don't think their new website is working properly yet.

Here is a contact address to try:
enquiries@telemark-pyrenees.com
Yeah I wondered that but thought they might be busy given the weather - will try again...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy