Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the typical slope degree for black pistes?

Poster: A snowHead
Kramer wrote:
davidof, do you happen to know how steep the Epaule de Charvet is in Espace Killy?

Hi Kramer,

We are thinking about the black that comes down the back of the Bellevarde with the steep section just before the valley? Hmmm I don't remember, darn I will just have to go back this winter and check :-).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can see a pic here

http://nbt.valdiseretrip.fotopic.net/p10848400.html

Santons is the blue run down the valley in the shade, Epaule du Charvet is the mogul run to the left of Santons.

Didn't ski it as the snow cover was ppoor and the moguls were huge, but I wouldn't say it looked overly sttep from the bottom.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied the Epaule de Charvet a few times and don't think it's particularly steep - in VdI, S and Tunnel are definitely steeper, but moguls sometimes make the Epaule tricky. Certainly Epaule isn't as steep as the top of Tunnel at Alpe d'Huez, some things at Verbier or St Anton, or the Courchevel couloirs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What about the notorious 'Wall' behind Avoriaz above Les Crosets?
Does anyone know how steep that is at the top?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was always told that the Epaule was the steepest run in Espace Killy. I agree that I've always found piste S and Foret harder, but that's mostly because of their narrowness.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Surely the Epaule is only steep if you take the direct route rather than the long dog-leg: but then I think it is off piste (or am I wrong: the whole thing used to be off piste - I wonder when it changed).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd put the Epaule as steep but manageble, as with M at Courchevel, but both as Kramer says are wide pistes, Face in VdI, is certainly less steep as I remember it than the Epaule. But like admin I'd love to know how steep the top of the Wall is, when I did it you just couldn't see over the edge at the top ..... we only went down it becasue one of our number had gone past the point of now return and like mugs we followed!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Swiss Wall or Le Pas de Chavanette is a shade under 50' at steepest.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, are you thinking of the "Tour de Charvet" which I think goes around the other side of that peak? (Although I haven't skied Val d'Isere for over a decade...)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, Martin, I was muddling with the Tour. Yes the Epaule is quite steep, now I've got my head on straight.

Of the off-piste runs one of the steepest is close by on the same mountain: the Pisteurs' Couloir. Has anyone skied that? It ends at the top of the Epaule so you could carry straight on and do the Epaule.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The steepest named and patrolled runs around these parts are the Lake Chutes at Breckenridge:
http://breckenridge.snow.com/mtn.gallery.enlarged.asp?image_id=3409
which are claimed to approach 50 degrees but probably average around 45,
and the similar-steepness North Pole Chutes at A-Basin which are off the ridge on the skyline in the shot at the bottom of this page:
http://www.howtoski.net/skiarea_ABasin.html
Both those areas currently have to be hiked to.
Snowball, I have never skied any couloirs at Val, always too busy racing when I was there. One day, maybe...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Bell wrote:
The steepest named and patrolled runs around these parts are the Lake Chutes at Breckenridge:
http://breckenridge.snow.com/mtn.gallery.enlarged.asp?image_id=3409
which are claimed to approach 50 degrees....

Gulp Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
admin wrote:

Does anyone know how steep that is at the top?

By eye it looks about 35 degrees and this seems to correspond with my IGN map. Apparently the tourist office got into trouble with their overblown claims last year and now say that the steepest section near the top is 37.34° - confirmed by a Huissier de Justice no less, it all sounds very exact but I don't know how they measured this. In the brochure they are a bit more vague claiming a the slope is a shade under 40° at its steepest and other guides talk of a bit under 80%. Over to lookers left it looks steep and exposed if you fall.

I won't put a link to the Tourist Office site because they disable the browser "back" button which is a small minded thing to do... may their souls rot in hell for eternity or longer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, I can confirm that it felt awfully steep when I floundered down it. The entry point is just behind a restaurant, then you can go left/right or straight down. There is a lip around 75 metres in to lull the unsuspecting intermediate into a false sense of their own capabilities snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, Absolutely! I reckon that's spot on.

For LDA I believe that the top of the Combe Valentin is around 32 deg and that's pretty steep. The part of the Grand Pente above the trees must be around 35-36 or even a bit more - but that's never pisted. Lower part of the Super Diable probably around 35 and that is regularly pisted (with winches of course). I should think that the Grand Couloir is at least 35 on the walls, but again it's never pisted!
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
davidof, I can confirm that it felt awfully steep when I floundered down it.

If it is 37.5 degrees it is very steep. The moguls wouldn't make life easy either.
snow report
davidof, I sometimes find moguls on a steep slope can give a sense of security, because it means the slope isn't uniformly at a suicidal pitch: you can approach it, if needs be, by aiming for the 'up' slope of particular bumps. Of course, I'm not talking about getting down in style...
snow conditions
One of my more embarassing moments on skis was on the epaule du charvet. It was the first black run I attempted and was persuaded to go down by some friends. The first part as can be seen from photo in the link above is afairly easy path. Then came the crux

'Oh !#!#' thinks me but decides to go for it somewhat nervously and pushed off with my poles, unfortunately I promptly fell over my poles and slid down the slope sideways my skis releasing at the top, they were rescued by a very attractive French girl who put them on her shoulder and brought them back down to me. My friends killing themselves laughing at the bottom. Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
I always find the Epaule quite deceptive as it is a convex slope, which means that it just gets steeper and steeper as you go down it. I'm not sure that I would choose it as a first black run though.
latest report
Kramer,
Quote:

I'm not sure that I would choose it as a first black run though.

Nor would I now! but ignorance is bliss and it was chosen for me Shock
latest report
the grand coulouir in Courchevel is supposedly the steepest marked run in Europe at 38 degrees at its steepest part-this looks quite steep but not too daunting I haven't skiied many other really steep pistes to compare it with but there must besome more challenging/steeper runs than grand c.
snow report
No ones mentioned the flypaper at Glencoe. Any idea? Also, for interest's sake, what about the wagon wheel?
ski holidays
paulmck,
I think the flypaper is fairly standard black run steepness, never heard of the wagon wheel, where is it?
snow conditions
The Flypaper is steeper than the average black run, but what makes it often lethal is the "boiler plate with protruding rocks" surface - I don't think it would qualify as a piste in the Alps!
latest report
davidof,

I was most amused to see that towards the end of the season that the gap between a couple of the bumps at the top of the Wall had started to cover over, turning it into a near tunnel. I think people had eroded so far in that the remaining snow was slowly collapsing into itself.

He he he.

On pure steepness I suppose it depends a little bit on your measurement of slope or snow angle. The downwards face of some of these bumps can be very steep indeed for a very short distance... wink

Personally I reckon the Machon bowl is a steeper run on a consistent basis.
ski holidays
Someone on an earlier thread said that the Flypaperat Glencoe is 38º, which sounds about right, but it is very short with the longest access and traverse back to the lifts. Here is a vue looking down the Flypaper.
I didn't find it rocky when I skied it many years ago, but perhaps now with the lack of snow...
ski holidays
snowball,
Good piccie, but 38 degrees Puzzled , looks more like 30. I guess as always it is the quality of snow that makes for difficulty rather than steepness alone.
snow report
No, I think it is well over 30º, 38º average is a figure I read somewhere and I think is about right. It is by a long way the steepest piste in Scotland. If you fall there is no way you could stop before reaching the bottom. It is much too steep to ever have moguls
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If we're talking Scotland chaps, how steep is the West Wall in Cairngorm? Did it many years ago in the mist and thought it was steep, but did it again when it had cleared up and was awe inspired as to how steep it was ... but then again I wasn't used to steep slopes then. Is it a trick of my memory?
snow report
Found some info on average steepness of several slopes at
http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/read.php?2,46205,46205#msg-46205
The best piece is the reference to the SMC Scottish Ski Mountaineering guide by D.Bennet + Bill Wallace. Has anyone got this book and can they find the relevant section?

Another response in this winterhighland forum includes the phrase " I believe that the Fly Paper is around 45 degrees depending on ..." but there is no evidence to support the statement.
snow report
Adrian,
I have dug out my copy of the SMC guide, unfortunately it says nothing about the flypaper that I can find.

For those interested it lists:

White Lady 21 Degrees
West Wall 30 ''
Tiger Run 27 ''

and a few others.

I cannot find my OS map of the area to give an estimate either.
Incidentally can anyone tell me the key sequence for putting in the degrees sign. Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy