Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airport transfers Geneva to/from Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone one know of a cheap transfer for 8 people 27th Jan 2011 Geneva to Verbier and 9 people back 1st Feb 2011. At the moment after an internet search it will be much cheaper to hire a transit or cars ourselves.

Why are transfers so expensive ( often more than the flights ). Seems like a good little job for a young lad on leaving Uni with a reliable transit. You'd earn plenty and spend a season skiing. A ski bum with money !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might try Marian and Mick at www.genevaairporttransfers.com (let them know I pointed you their way)

Can't comment on the cost comparison but often to somewhere like Verbier you're having to pay for the transfer companies time to get from Verbier back to where ever they need to be and likewise when picking you up to Verbier from where ever they have been, I doubt very much that when they drop you in Verbier they'll have a client to return to GVA.

As for a "nice little earner"..... that would be until they get stopped with not the correct insurance, no pass for Geneva Airport, no taxi licence etc etc etc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
www.alpybus.com is good. They will drop you off wherever you are staying. Call them up - it's much easier to do over they phone, and they are mostly English.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was under the impression that French registered companies could only pickup in Switzerland but were obliged to only go to France. To pick up and drop off in Switzerland you had to be Swiss registered.
Hence AlpyBus, Alpinexpress, etc who are Swiss companies.
We all have to pay a licence fee to pick up drop off in the Canton of Geneva. Another tax.

May be cheaper to take the train up.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
milestaylor, I had heard that getting licenses was like finding hen's teeth as SwissRail had put the muscle on the airport authorities (you can catch a train to Verbier)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm 99.9% sure that the gevenaairporttransfers have the required licenses to operate to/from Verbier.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all.... to enter the fray:

Here's the score regarding airport transfer to Verbier by French based transfer companies:

1. Everyone picking up/dropping off at Geneva Airport needs the Swiss Canton of Geneva authorisation. 400 Swiss per vehicle, per year.

2. This canton licence only authorisies you to pick up and drop off within the Canton of Geneva, It DOES NOT give you permission to go to other parts of Switzerland i.e. verbier. That would be 'cabotage' and is illegal under Swiss law.

So that means for Verbier you are at present left with Alpybus (make sure you Google for reviews and check Tripadvisor!!!) before you even think of booking with them. We're a competitor on other routes so I can't possibly comment.

or Alpineexpress.

To operate transfers anywhere else in Switzerland you need to be a SWISS registered transport company and operate SWISS registered vehicles.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Andrew
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheapest rail transfer tickets here www.swisspasses.com
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marcellus, they don't advertise such on their website?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having researched this in the past, I came to the conclusion that hiring your own car/cars almost always works out cheaper (and IMHO is more convenient - assuming you can sort out parking etc...). The drive from GVA to Verbier/4-vallees is very easy and quick (just watch out for speed cameras in the Canton of Vaad).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
marcellus, they don't advertise such on their website?

Bottom of the Prices page.. says contact them!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamexpress, not a fan of Alpybus then?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
did that come across? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always use the train - they run very regularly and it is about £67 return each to/from Le Chable at the bottom of the main gondola lift. (The normal tickets are cheaper than the special passes they advertise).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've used Alpine Express a fair bit and they're good
snow report
red 27 wrote:
I've used Alpine Express a fair bit and they're good

I've used them a few times, but they're expensive now.
snow report
Thanks all for your advice. All companies are quoting a return cost in excess of £720 for 8 people. We can hire a Transit van that will take 9 through Carhire 300 .com so will do that for £ 545 + fuel.
snow conditions
milestaylor, are you sure? For the sake of £15 extra each a cab will be a lot less hassle, quicker, no parking issues in resort and if it snows, no snow-chain nightmare.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
Chamexpress, not a fan of Alpybus then?

Nor me - have booked with them twice and both times let down prior to travel. Wouldn't risk it again
snow report
red 27, Is right. Parking is a nightmare in Verbier this winter as all the Medran car parks have gone into a big hole in the ground. That's before you consider the hassle of getting a minibus up the hill in snow.
latest report
Take the train. It's civilised. They go twice an hour.
latest report
Helicopter is the only way to get up to Verbier from GVA. I prefer to fly in to Sion and have my driver pick me up from there. It is possible to land a ski plane up at Savoleyres which I also recommend but do send your luggage up by car.
latest report
planeurge wrote:
Take the train. It's civilised. They go twice an hour.

At £70 it's also the same price as Alpybus, but you've still to get all your kit up the hill and then to the lodgings.
latest report
For me the convenience of Alpybus is not having to change trains and then get the bus up the hill, which is a real faff if you have a lot of gear.
When I used them I didn't have a problem, but some others seem to have had them.
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
Helicopter is the only way to get up to Verbier from GVA. I prefer to fly in to Sion and have my driver pick me up from there. It is possible to land a ski plane up at Savoleyres which I also recommend but do send your luggage up by car.

Parlor, do you not Fedex your luggage? Saves alot of hassle.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy