Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which rental ski's to try for an intermediate idiot

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All !

I'm going to book some hire ski's, but will probably have to wait until at the resort to select a particular ski...

what are the rental skis models likely to be about this season ? which model / type might be best ?

I'm 5'9" and 13+ stone of flab and weakness. - I probably need a forgiving ski that is not too heavy or requires too much strength / attention (ie something that i can manage when mentally and physically knackered)

I'm a classic initermediate - ie can get down most things - but with rubbish technique. I'm probably too agressive/fast early in the day, replaced by inattentive crusing towards the end.

I have had fun with twin-tips before, (dicking about in the snowpark etc.) but missed the ease of carving fast turns that more 'intemediate' level slalom-y skis give you. Is this to do with the flex and the wider/narrower waist of the skis ?

So, what should I try ?

there always seem to be salamon's available, ie Xwing's seem classic rental models I'm likely to find ?

I wondered about the atomic twin tips - but there is a confusing number of models. would somehting like a 'deviant' still be too compomised for zooming about on piste ?

(I'm not sure of which rental people let you swap ski's multiple times - I will be in tignes le lac)

sorry if the above post is too free-form !

Gareth.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gareth,

I do not know what ski's you should be using, but thank you for that very honest description of your skiing, made me smile.

Someone will be along in a minute and set you up witha few.

Saloman X wings work for me, I am also an excellent skier like you, almost an expert!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatgaz, I would say get some Stockli's but you won't see them in France.

Rossignol have some good slalom piste skis that you might like. Orange and black called 'Radical 9s' or something - should be plenty of those to rent
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Republik in Le Lac let you swap ski's. We had a great time in April doing exactly that. I tried Salomon Lords, X Wings, Some lovely Atomic Carvers etc etc... Even tried a board for the morning!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markoncarp wrote:
Ski Republik in Le Lac let you swap ski's. We had a great time in April doing exactly that. I tried Salomon Lords, X Wings, Some lovely Atomic Carvers etc etc... Even tried a board for the morning!!!

i had a look at ski republic's prices, very expensive if you can't use their 2-4-1 offer, so they're not really an option.
which atomics did you try ? did you find the lords were 'heavy' - they look intersting, but the 'thick waist' suggests they might be harder work on-piste ?

one problem i have is keeping up with the marketing bollox that i find is quite opaque, especially in anything that is considered fashionable...

so, any other info on understanding what 2010-2011 model's are worth a go - pipe up !

cheers m'dears,

G.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
X Wings sound good - had em for a week a few seasons back and thought they were great for carving around the pistes. Seemed to deal with pretty much anything one encounters on groomed runs, wind-swept, fresh, crud etc, even a bit of piste-side, off-piste.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im the worst person to ask about how good ski's were. Sounds to me like we are of a similar capability and attitude! From memory, I loved the Lords. They were a little slippy on hard packed snow (we went Easter week so it was freeze/thaw) but as the snow softened up, they were a joy. Loved messing about with the kids skiing switch....

The Atomics were some kind of pure piste ski that did what they said on the tin and were great fun on the rattly early morning stuff we skied. As it got more slushy though, they werent much fun at all....

X Wings were definately great as an all rounder,but I cant say they were as much fun as the Lords once things got softer..... (and by soft, I mean slush...)

I did take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer at Ski Republik. Is it not on anymore?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markoncarp wrote:

I did take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer at Ski Republik. Is it not on anymore?

There is only one of me, everyone else i'm going with have their own kit (skis/boards).

Interesting comments about the lords -vs the atomic piste-specific skis, I'll keep this in mind depending on the snow conditions we find in tignes - it's usually fairly good though.

I'll look the X-wings and similar as maybe the best compromise.

If i've understood the current ski market, there seems to be a new-ish class of ski which are 'all mountain' so a bit wider than a piste ski for powder, but also have something appraoching twin tips allowing for a more playful approach, yet still not too hard work to carve on piste. maybe something like this, but at the entry level.

maybe I should consider things like the salomon Xwing storm and atomic smoke ??

I'll be on-piste mostly, but might follow the borders in to less consolidated powdery stuff.

SO, am I on the right track ?

G.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gareth will you be using skiset? They have been pretty relaxed with me in the past about trying more than one ski/ boot combination over the week, they have the X wings etc to try.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry just checked the prices at SKISET Tignes du Lac , you could go up to excellence for 140 Euro, I am looking at 180 in Reberty with the performance being 140 , so you should find something you like.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy