Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stretching quads / hamstrings / calfs....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've always had really, really tight hamstrings, ever since I can remember. I put this down to playing hockey since I was 11, but in those joyful days of youth, I never really warmed up or down properly. Over the last 12 months or so I've had a bad back, and was diagnosed by a sports therapist that my quads were very tight (pulling my hips out and putting stress on my lower back muscles). She advised on some stretches for my quads, and hey presto, my back is now fine. Colin at Solutions for Feet has this morning told me my calfs are also really tight, leading to my boots hurting.... So, my question is; Other than the standard stretches for calfs and hamstrings, has anyone else got any ideas (short of surgery!!!) - if it helps I spend most of my day sitting either at a computer or in a car, although there are times when I'm out walking....

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a theraband

Lie on back and hamstring stretch as per normal with foot in theraband and pulling band towards upper body... THEN
pull heel 'down'(only way to describe it sorry) so that hamstrings tighten - hold for 8 secs - then stop pulling heel down and at same time pull band towards upper body again and hold as per hamstring stretch again.

If you like to hamstring stretch standing with leg up on chair then do them with leg angled out and leg angled in...

Don't forget piriformis and glutes

Calves - usual suspects - hang off a step, calf and achilles stretches leaning towards wall blah blah... Do them whenever you get the chance - so making coffee, standing in lift, waiting for lift etc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
for ladies...get a toyboy,
for gents.... perhaps something like that little minx on celebrity get me out of here... or a toyboy if thats your thing Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM's website has an excellent stretch section http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/files/U50595_stretching_exercises_complete.pdf?PHPSESSID=cf034383458f111611471ee0d741029a

Hold at least 30 seconds. Never bounce. One way to work stretches into a busy day is to use the two minutes of a timed electric toothbrush to do 30 seconds on each leg for gastrocnemius (straight leg) and 30 seconds for each leg bent (soleus).

I do the piriformis ones before getting out of bed. It's not the ideal time but if I don't do them then I tend to forget.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a very similar problem with my calf muscles and I paid for a few sessions of phisio, I canot say it was the most pleasant experience in the world, (even though she was a very nice young lady and lots of massage lotion was involved Toofy Grin ) however it was a real revelation but just like painting a house once i had had my calf muscles done i realised just how much my quads needed working on,

and yes I know what you are thinking.......... Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
good massage PLUS stretching would be the ideal prescription! If you have a lot of trigger points in the muscles, stretching them properly can be well-nigh impossible.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I already use a sports therapist / masseuse, hence the quad excercises, and she does a lot of work on the rest of my legs (piriformis and calfs).

THanks for all your replies guys.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Warm up first, then use the standard stretches daily.

After a couple of weeks you'll be suprised how bendy you become.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mustdash, Some interesting injury stats published in the medical literature recently suggesting that those who stretch daily and those who never stretch have lowe rrisk of injury than those who stretch intermittently.

Once you've started, keep going... It will pay dividends however.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mustdash, like the others have said, it will be a revelation how much better you will feel. IME and IMO you need to choose stretches that you can do first thing in the morning before getting up and then before bed, that take about a max of 5 mins. You need to hold for e.g. 20 - 30 seconds per stretch and repeat 2 or 3 times.

If you are not that bendy, then best not to think about putting your ankles behind your ears wink but aim for something that you are comfy with.

Better go and practise what I am preaching Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy