Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past ... back to the future!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We appear to be about to enter a period (goodness knows how long but estimates vary from a week to 14 days to even longer) when temperatures in the UK are likely to drop well below average for the time of year and many areas seem to have a chance to get falls of snow, perhaps quite significant falls but we'll see what happens by this time next week.

As we enter this period of cold and possibly snowy weather why not have a laugh by clicking the link below, it'll take you to an article from 2000 of a type that was quite common a few years ago suggesting snowy winters were a thing of the past as a result of global warming. In fact have a laugh and why not stick a couple of fingers up at the sorts of idiots who penned this nonsence (and continue to say it's just a statistical blip every time we get a cold snowy winter but when there's a sunny week it proves their theories):

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

Anyone got links to any similar stories from the press?

Hey, snows a coming (fingers crossed) snowHead snowHead snowHead Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga, The last paragraph here did make me laugh out loud - how ironic:

Newsweek 1975 http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf

Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-11-10 0:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tatty wrote:
roga, The last paragraph here did make me laugh out loud - how ironic: Laughing

Best to fully accept climate change but approach data extrapolation theories with caution when it comes to rapid cooling or warming. That said, one of the startling bits of the puzzle to me is the mystery of how Pterosaurs with wingspans around that of small commercial aircraft ever could fly. Accepting from fossil records that CO2 back then was in an atmospheric concentration roughly 3 to 5 times greater than it is today and that the mass of the Earth hasn't increased significantly since then and that God hasn't fiddled with the gravitational constant over time, the only way they could is if the planet's atmosphere were roughly 5 times more dense than it is now. Venus then springs to mind & that's not a nice place for organic life including dinosaurs. Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last year the River Bann (tidal) froze over. the first time I had ever seen this!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The last couple of winters have been cold, but the trend over the last 20 years is certainly for warmer winters in the UK.

I wouldn't write off the article as rubbish unless that trend is broken, which might take another 10 years of average/cold winters to demonstrate.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Winters tend to come in clusters.

A cluster of warmer Winters followed by a cluster of colder ones.

Enjoy the colder ones while they last.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold wrote:
Winters tend to come in clusters.

A cluster of warmer Winters followed by a cluster of colder ones.

Enjoy the colder ones while they last.

Should be the best part of 30 years as the oceans are just entering their cool phase Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Funny thing is that last years cold winter, with predominately easterly winds, was also a freak event.
Easterly weather systems, uninterrupted for 3 months, was unprecedented.
Does make me wonder if the gulf stream might be slowing down ?
Because the weather last winter (cold, not much wind) is something that no one has ever seen before.

Incidentally Scandinavia had a terrible ski season as a result (too cold and dry).
Whilst the southerly jet stream brought record snow fall, and also floods, to southern Europe and the Mediterranean.
Plus it was also one of the warmest years (globally) on record.

Best not to stick head in the sand - One cold winter doesn't mean the dangers of climate change have gone away!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My layman's understanding of climate change/global warming is that gradual warming is accompanied by increasing climatic instability and extreme weather events. If this is the case we should expect the occasional very cold spell and big snowfalls mixed in with all the other extremes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My understanding of 'climate change' is that it has existed for at least the amount of time that fossil, ice core and mud samples can produce evidence for it. My understanding of 'global warming' is that it is a term applied to actual observed warming within the last 3 decades. I understood that as a reult of 'global warming' that I was to expect hotter, drier summers and milder, wetter winters, neither of which have happened in recent years but a lot of resource and money has been ploughed into its future mitigation by the Scottish government. After 4 shite (and I mean really shite) summers on the trot in this part of Scotland, I'd have probably welcomed perpetual autumns instead of winter as a payback for those decent summers but to now get my head around associating 'global warming' with very cold spells and big snowfalls is a bit of a stretch. Confused
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
its its warmer its man made global warming.. if its colder its climate change caused by man made global warmimg.. more tax for windmills please
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy