Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baselayers...

Poster: A snowHead
DaveC, obviously moths are too cold in Hull compared to Leeds Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use cycling baselayers, and walking ones the Mrs spots in TackyMax or Matarlan.

The cycling ones tend to be lots cheaper and have a longer bit to cover the base of your spine - which doesn't come "untucked" while skiing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc wrote:
The cycling ones tend to be lots cheaper and have a longer bit to cover the base of your spine - which doesn't come "untucked" while skiing.
I think the technical term for it is "Fart Flap" Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Embers Merino www.embersmerino.com - top stuff, much cheaper than Icebreaker and I can't detect any difference in quality. I wish they wouldn't put silly graphics on them but, if you can ignore that, they are a great buy. I've got mid and base layers. Pop a soft shell on top - sorted.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno wrote:
DB, mine don't suffer from wear. i just find that when i am doing stuff that gets me sweaty (like skinning) I prefer the way synthetics feel - wool stays warm but it also stays wet and feels heavy for much longer IME.

I also don't find sythetics get particularly stinky for me (i know that's different for different people)... or maybe it's just that my socks/ski boots drown out the smell of pretty much anything

When I'm out mountainbiking in the summer I prefer synthetics for the reasons you have described, plus unlike skiing or ski touring I'm unlikely to use it for multiple days or during 'Apres Mountainbiking'.

Each to their own but when ski touring or hill walking I often strip my upperbody down to just the base/mid layers. Yes the synthectics dry out quicker but they are dam cold when wet esp when it's windy. I generally need a shell with synthectics and then the base layer gets wetter quicker. Wool is a lot warmer even when wet so I can get away without wearing a shell.

I like Transtex

Quote:
Transtex Seamless WOOL is the newcomer: When valuable, natural sheep wool is connected with synthetic fiber using the innovative 'seamless technique', the outcome of this development is Löffler's TRANSTEX Wool - Seamless - a highly elastic functional underwear in trendy design.

On the inside, the synthetic fiber polypropylene routes moisture to the outside. On the outside, high-grade Merino wool absorbs the moisture - the skin always feels dry and warm.

http://www.loeffler.at/en/News/71-Die-richtige-Sportbekleidung-beginnt-an-der-Haut
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, my usual problem going uphill is overheating so i am often just in the baselayer then put all my clothes on as soon as i stop. i do sometimes carry a superlightweight running shell (montane pertex thingy) which is quite good for keeping the wind out without adding too much insulation. it's a personal thing though - i'll probably change my mind and be back into wool in a couple of years rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
like Transtex

Hmm, careful when googling that Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, mouthful of coffee + your post = close call Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski,

Austrian google (German) gives different results, what did you get a line-dancing transvestite?

"Löffler Transtex-Seamless Warm+" is the product with the Merino/synthetic mix.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All I can say is cheers for the many offerings at mo; I can see pretty good argument for both sides merino vs synthetic - but overall no clear clue on what to buy!

Mainly doesn't help I'm an indecisive person as it is...... rolling eyes I will just have to see where my cash card takes me I think when the time comes to choose!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always wear Sub Zero underwear when i go skiing due to the fact that they last for years and do not smell - something to do with them being made form Polyamide and not smelly Polyester. I had a look on their site the other week and they are now producing Merino Wool thermals as well but these are different to the rest as they have no seams. Apparently they come of a knitting machine finished! If you go on to their site and use the following code SZAT10 during checkout you will get 10% discount. I got this code from them after i bought a pair of gloves last weekend so it should be current. www.subzerostore.co.uk

Stay warm!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Has anyone tried the Baselayer-Cold stuff made by Canterbury of New Zealand? It seems well made, is a good price (less than £30), and gets great reviews on Amazon. It seems to be marketed more at rugby/hockey players than skiers.

I noticed it in my local sports shop.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spud9, not tried it, I wear something similiar from Nike for hockey training, I think it'd be too hot for ME as a ski layer.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, I wear a Nike thermal base layer for skiing. They're good. Base layer + jacket unless it's very chilly, in which case I'll wear a thin fleece too. The other thing I like about my Nike base layer is that it has a high collar, long sleeves and long arms!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spud9, As posted on the other thread, I wear Under Armour Coldgear. This too appears to be marketed at rugger bugs etc. but I find it great as a base layer.
snow report
was in TK Maxx yesterday and they have very good quality Merino baselayers from an Australian company selling for in the region of £20 per item/reduced from around £50 - £60. lots of sizes of mens/womens tops/bottoms etc.
snow conditions
Spud9, I've got some of this stuff and it's great but I prefer to go with halfhand, purely on the grounds that the UA one has a collar that covers your lower neck and the Canterbury stuff doesn't.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy