Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baselayers...

Poster: A snowHead
Have always used cheap thermals in the past - on my first ever ski holiday shameful to say I think I used thermals from M&S thinking they would be fine - How wrong was I! but since haven't really worn thermals or just worn leggings as a base however usally end up soggy and disgusting so wanting to avoid that this year!

But what thermals would anyone recommend? not keen on the cheapest brands (dare2b, BigAir etc as sceptical they will be overly cheap and nasty) but maybe they are ok.

Brands that seem to keep coming up are whiterock, trespass, helly hansen, icebreaker (though the Icebreaker ones appear much too expensive for what they are!?)

Any suggestions or are the cheap ones just as good as the pricey?

cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Icebreaker merino. Not soggy, not smelly. Worth every penny.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The icebreaker Marino is incredible. Very comfortable and simply does not smell. I've worn mine for 5 days withot washing it and it was amazing. One promotion showed some explorer wear one for about six weeks non stop.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for Icebreaker, for the reasons given. Also very hard-wearing. Mine have been through the washing machine countless times without ill efect.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I had my time again I'd check out merino too, but have a couple of sets of Spyder seamless polypropolene shizzle (think 'Skins') which haven't ever let me down. Top-of-the calf length legs are a nice touch too.

Best thing is, they're a base layer, so no one can see they're Spyder...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can buy merino baselayers at Decathlon at a fraction of the cost of the Icebreaker stuff. Personally, it's a bit too warm for me so I tend to wear non-thermal baselayers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cad99uk, Another vote for Icebreaker - Hellys (apolypropylene) aren't much cheaper and stink after a couple of days on me. Merino can be worn all week of hard exercise and is pretty indestructible.
queen bodecia, thanks for the heads up about Decathlon. I just wear a merino T shirt and am toasty
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Howies merino baselayers are the dogs danglies as well.

and... don't buy a cheap baselayer just because it says the word "merino" in it. been there done that and they lasted one use. it was craghoppers merino and shrank in the first wash when in with the merino stuff which was fine.

pay more money for quality when it comes to baselayers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Icebreaker first, last and always.

They've taken an old, tried and true principle - Kiwi woolly underwear which used to be very warm but scratchy as all get out and itched like hell - and refined it to be comfortable but still toasty under all conditions - including sopping wet (think river crossings). I wear polypropylene at times too - it works OK but can be stinky alright and it's nowhere as comfortable.

Yes, Icebreaker is expensive but for me it does exactly what it says on the label (and on the above posts). I struggle to think of any other product that delivers so accurately through all the marketing BS that manufacturers generate.

I hate to be just endorsing one company but while manufacturers are trying they just don't for some reason seem to be be able to come up with the same product made to the same standard - I stand ready to be corrected.

There's also a range (can't remember the name) of Kiwi stuff where merino wool is mixed with possum fur. It seems to be restricted to hats, gloves and socks. They're probably too scared to make it into baselayer stuff cos based on the effect of the gloves etc, you'd be cooked alive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had good Smartwool baselayers too, but the Icebreaker stuff just lasts and lasts. I just got back from five weeks in the Himalayas with no problems. Look out for sales - I've got most of mine from Snow & Rock for at least 30% off. The camisoles are also brilliant in UK winters for keeping you very warm without bulk.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 23-11-10 12:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Results from a German test ...
http://www.testberichte.de/preisvergleich/level4_alpin_64775.html

Gut = Good
mittelmäßig =average

1st. Smartwool M's Lightweight Zip-T. Test winner. Best quality wool and not in the least bit itchy.

Price tip - Icebreaker Skin 200 Mondo Zip. 100% merinowool doesn't smell at all. Negative =wears out

Price tip - Löffler Transtex Wool, absorbs well. Negative = slight synthetic feel.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Icebreaker always.

There is a slightly cheaper option avalible called Red Ram http://www.redram.com Built buy Icebreaker.
also icebreaker will be launching an everyday range which will be cheaper still.

Its worth every penny
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FiFi_Trixibell, Hi for Merino have a look at Embers and Finisterre, Mrs Radar swears by them. I have North Face flight and HH base with a TOG24 Merino mid layer, oh and some Finisterre merino boxers Madeye-Smiley

For leggings look for ones with a flat seam especially if they are full length, or go for 3/4 ones that stop above the ski boot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Amazing, thanks for the info everyone.

Am I correct in thinking that all of Icebreaker's products are made using merino wool?

Also are there any equivalent products slightly cheaper or is it really worth spending the money? (I know everyone has said it is the one and only good brand.)Tis just a bit more expensive than I was really anticipating, going on that I would be likely to be spending almost £100 just on a baselayer! (sorry to sound like a scrooge - I am rather new to all the investment in equipment having only within the last year stepped up a gear and bought all my own skis, poles etc to go with the boots I bought yr before last (best purchase ever made might I add!)

shoogly, you mentioned not just buying anything because it is merino, is there a gaugue on how good they are?

what about the other brands such as salomon, bonfire, barts etc (looking on sail and ski online shop? as a starting point) Unfortunately icebreaker sale items seem to be all gone there though.

I would be prepared to invest but am just worried it's excessive spending on my part given that at the mo I'm only a 1 holiday a year person (this yr maybe two)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robin.gray Thanks for the heads up on that one, looks like a good alternative

radar any idea of stockists/retailers that may sell the brands you have suggested? (adding to my research pile!) Am based in bournemouth!

Never explored Cotswold outdoor shop a great deal however seems to keep cropping up as the main place to get a lot of the brands suggested. Shame the offer they have for £20% off icebreaker doesn't apply to women's wear!!
ski holidays
FiFi_Trixibell, if you're a one week a year holiday skier, personally I don't see justification for splashing out on expensive branded gear unless you really have that much spare cash. I'm more than happy with my Decathlon and Trespass gear. It does exactly what I want it to do and I can't say I've ever felt too cold or uncomfortably hot. I can understand why the touring brigade swear by their expensive gear, but it really isn't necessary for holiday piste bimblers in my opinion.
ski holidays
patagonia wool stuff is very nice and less that £100 for a baselayer! that said, i am going to be the contrarian who says that wool is OK but i have gone back to synthetics. patagonia capilene 1 is the nuts as far as i am concerned - and i use it all year round for gym, running etc
ski holidays
Have found Icebreaker and Smartwool merino tops to be very good warm baselayers, but personally I wouldn't buy long johns in a material that warm. Other merino we have tried, Craghoppers shrunk in the wash, North Face stretches and goes baggy when it gets wet. For a less insulating base more suitable for higher activity levels I go back to my older synthetic mountaineering stuff - Helly Hansen, Lowe Alpine, Berghaus etc. which are all also half the price of good merino. These latter ones I also find are best for transmitting moisture away from the body.
ski holidays
Keep your eyes peeled. Mrs A has some merino base layers from Aldi which she thinks are fine:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Aaldi.co.uk+merino

I have two 'favourite' base tops. One is merino and the other made from some man-made fibre by Duofold. It breathes well and clings without feeling stretchy. I got it at a OSC (Mountain Equipment / Ronhill / Sprayway) sale years ago but it seems they don't deal with them any more.

http://www.duofold.com/
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
FiFi_Trixibell, if you're a one week a year holiday skier, personally I don't see justification for splashing out on expensive branded gear unless you really have that much spare cash. I'm more than happy with my Decathlon and Trespass gear. It does exactly what I want it to do and I can't say I've ever felt too cold or uncomfortably hot. I can understand why the touring brigade swear by their expensive gear, but it really isn't necessary for holiday piste bimblers in my opinion.

I agree that most UK skiers who do a week or two skiing (not ski touring) a year don't normally need the top quality hardwearing stuff. Merino wool isn't generally cheap but it doesn't pong after a days skiing meaning ....

1. You don't stink during apres ski.
2. You can pack less baselayers.

I prefer a combination of very thin but high quality merino wool t-shirt under a man-made longsleeve shirt.
latest report
If money was tight, I'd get a plain icebreaker top, and cheaper merino leggings, because the tops hold their shape and are not obviously tech baselayers, you get a lot of use out of them in the UK - well, I do, anyway. Whereas the leggings are only for hols really, plus your legs are less important for warmth.
ski holidays
FiFi_Trixibell, I agree with Altis. I got a Crane Sport merino top from Aldi last season - in among their ski gear - and it has worn well.
latest report
Aldi, what is the world coming to??? I don't so think so...30% Merino is not want you want but if it works for Mrs. A then thats cool!

Ice Breaker are really good and i do think it's worth the cash. I saw my purchase as an investment (i spent around £100 with Two Seasons online) as long as you're not going to grow out of them!! I got some 200 Bodyfit layers and some Bodyfit 260 (the numbers = weight of the garment), the difference is very noticable in weight and warmth and thats when you know they are worth it.

The North Face do some awesome mid layers/fleeces too.
latest report
Under Armour Cold Gear and if it's extra cold a long sleeve t-shirt over that.

End of story....
latest report
deerman wrote:
FiFi_Trixibell, I agree with Altis. I got a Crane Sport merino top from Aldi last season - in among their ski gear - and it has worn well.

If anyone can fit in a size small - I have a blue crane base layer half zip (never been out of its wrapper) going for free - picked up the wtong size in Aldi - i wasnt worth taking back
PM if you want it - i just want the postage for it
snow conditions
FiFi_Trixibell, www.finisterreuk.com and www.embersmerino.com both online retailers, happy to do exchanges, tog24 either online or shops http://www.estore.tog24.com/Womens_Underwear_Underwear.html
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
patagonia wool stuff is very nice and less that £100 for a baselayer! that said, i am going to be the contrarian who says that wool is OK but i have gone back to synthetics. patagonia capilene 1 is the nuts as far as i am concerned - and i use it all year round for gym, running etc

I am with you there, i'm back onto synthetics, wear so much better than the merino tops I've used
snow conditions
I love Merino as well but have never paid full price. If you have any friends/relatives in the US check out www.steepandcheap.com ( and all their associated websites) too expensive for shipping/vat/customs charges to buy direct though. I have also bought some Merino off Ebay.com (as opposed to co.uk) where it is generally cheaper and you usually don't get stung for customs from an individual seller. Ebay.co.uk sometimes has some bargains as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
a quick search on amazon uk brings up many icebreaker merino base layers less than £50. have a look, maybe there'll be something you like the look of.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 23-11-10 20:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

I am with you there, i'm back onto synthetics, wear so much better than the merino tops I've used

I can see that Ice Breaker stuff has advantages if you are carrying all your gear with you on a multiday ski tour, but I don't get why the average resort skiier values being able to wear "the same base layer all week".

For the same price as one Icebreaker you can buy four Coolmax base layers from Rock and Run, and change your shirt most days.

Another advantage of synthetics is that you can hand wash them in a sink and hang them up to dry overnight, which is useful if someone spills hot chocolate all over you (as happened to me recently).
snow report
Worth checking outsidesports, and free P+P atm

Often use them for Icebreaker
latest report
For the people who have gone back from merino wool to synthetics (kitenski, Arno etc). What wear took place? - piling, streching, going out of shape, holes, schrinkage etc
snow report
DB, holes for me, could well be moths, could be made by the washing machine, impossible to say, but out of my 4 merino tops 3 have had to be stitched up a number of times....
ski holidays
kitenski,

Thanks.

I suspect 100% Merino wool should really only be handwashed but the merino wool blends can be thrown in the washer on a cold wash.

http://www.pashminainternational.com/merinowoolcare.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4421287_wash-merino-wool-blend-sweater.html
snow report
I've had the same four Merino tops (two light, on emid, one 320) that I've worn pretty much daily for 3 seasons now, and they're all fine. I cold wash them in a washing machine. It seems to last forever...
snow report
Maybe washing them hot causes shrinkage which leads to holes.
snow conditions
Merino the moth magnet!

Most of our merino garments have small holes dotted about them.
snow report
DB, they get washed at 30 degrees.....but having to hand wash is another argument for synthetics in my view!!

DaveC, what make?

Just checked mine, the smartwool thin brown long sleeve has about 10 new holes in it since it was put away last spring, the T shirt is ok, a long sleeve Merrell has some holes at the bottom of the sleeve, the 2 T shirts appear ok..That is despite having cedar blocks in the drawer.

It's just too much hassle, synthetic is wear, wash shove in drawer!
snow conditions
kitenski, the thin layers are NZnature (which is now really expensive too), mid and 320 are icebreaker
ski holidays
DB, mine don't suffer from wear. i just find that when i am doing stuff that gets me sweaty (like skinning) I prefer the way synthetics feel - wool stays warm but it also stays wet and feels heavy for much longer IME.

i also don't find sythetics get particularly stinky for me (i know that's different for different people)... or maybe it's just that my socks/ski boots drown out the smell of pretty much anything
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy