Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland overnighter - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of setting off from Nottm very early in the morning. Drive up to....where?...ski in the afternoon, b&b or cheap hotel for the night, more skiing the following day and set off back to Nottm early/mid afternoon.

Departing 27 or 28 Dec - depending on snow/weather conditions in bonny Scotland.
2 couples - 2 x boarders 2 x skiers, all lowish intermediate.

Is one night realistic? I figure about 7-9 hrs driving on the way up. There'll be 3 drivers, so should be able to make good time and arrive not too knackered.
Which resort? Nevis looks good as it's one of the nearest and has a decent ski area.
Any recommendations for cheap accommodation in the area that I could book at a couple of days notice (2 rooms, pref both doubles)?
Would it be any cheaper to go east, Cairngorms way?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Glenshee would be closest, in fact.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
youspurs1 wrote:
more skiing the following day and set off back to Nottm early/mid afternoon.

I have always skied a full day and driven back (eating supper at a service station) arriving about 2.00am in London. You going back to Nottingham should be easy.

And going up why not drive some of it the previous evening and stop in a motel or B & B.

Nevis won't be open for a while - they are servicing their lifts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Distance wise, there isn't a massive amount in it. If you go A82, then you get to Glencoe before Nevis.

There's a premier inn in Fort Bill - they have £29 a room offers, so worth checking out, although you'd have to book in advance.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The 27th-28th is a mon-tuesday and the traffic should be okay, however when you get to the junction for the M8 you have three choices.

Onto M8 f then A82 for glencoe

Keep on the M73 through Cumbernauld for stirling-perth-glenshee/aviemore. However, watch the roadworks and average speed cameras.

or for ease of driving and the same time to glenshee/aviemore go up M73 then onto the M8 for Edinburgh then over the Forth road bridge for Perth.
Less stress after a long drive and the same time to perth.

cheers
Bob
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Departing 27 or 28 Dec

Although Nevis and Glencoe sometimes do open before the New Year. It's normaly the Eastern areas that are better at that time of year....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone done the sleeper from Euston? what was it like and where did you stay? was it easy enough getting around without a car?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you stay in Fort william the number 41 bus runs to Nevis Range at 9.10am and returns at 4.30pm

There are buses from Aviemore to Caringorm as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zigster68, there's a group of us going up in March to Aviemore - a lot of useful info on this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68286 including accommodation details.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Laterooms.com for hotels around Aviemore, Fort William etc from about £40 for a double - may be dearer around Hogmanay though.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The overnight train to Fort William arrives too late for the start of the morning skiing and (I think) the bus.
You might consider Easyjet to Glasgow and hire a car.
By car it is around 9 1/2 hours from London.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
II wrote:
Departing 27 or 28 Dec

Although Nevis and Glencoe sometimes do open before the New Year. It's normaly the Eastern areas that are better at that time of year....

Thanks. I'll obviously check before we go, but the east is historically more snowsure pre new year?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glencoe 29th December ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1718 Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy, thanks for the link its going in the diary. I'm toying with train-v-flights and a hire car at the moment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski club of GB give average over last 9 years on last week of Nov and 1st of Dec
Aviemore
upper 5cm .. 12cm
lower 1cm .. 2cm

Nevis
upper n/a .. 1cm
lower n/a .. 1cm

So snow now is a freak. March is the best time for good snow depth.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 23-11-10 15:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
zigster68, if you're thinking of coming up that weekend in March, join us on the overnight train Very Happy
snow report
snowball, always wary of published snowdepths in Scotland - very difficult to get right as the pistes aint "prepared" in terms of being bulldozed so the piste "topography" varies wildly, also the tendency for drifting also makes things tricky. That being said, the main point of "March is the best time for good snow depth" is more or less spot on (better weather then too!)
ski holidays
The SCGB snow depth figures are made up....
None of the ski centres or ski patrols gather this data.

> So snow now is a freak

Not really, its not uncommon to get some early November turns in Scotland, especially at Cairngorm.
However early snow often doesnt last until the season properly gets under way.
Even 27th / 28th Dec is still very much early season in Scotland.
It could be very good - or there could also be nothing open.
Mid Jan until Mid April is when the Scottish season *usually* gets going properly.

Between xmas and new year Cairngorm is probably the safest bet.
Glenshee / Lecht might be partially open. (say 3 years out of 5).
It would be unusual for either west coast resorts (Glencoe / Nevis) to be operating before early Jan - though it did happen last year.

As ever your best bet is to watch the weather and keep plans flexible if possible.
The early snow looks promising - but it can melt as fast as it arrives. So your guess is as good as mine!
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
The SCGB snow depth figures are made up....
None of the ski centres or ski patrols gather this data.

Yes, their usual "current snow depths" during the season seems to bear little resemblance to the facts on the ground. But they can't just be made up in London - someone up there must estimate it for them. I think I'll try asking on the SCGB website
ski holidays
^ apparently SCGB snow depths are extrapolated from weather models.
Which is basically marketing speak for made up in London.

I have seen them quote 5cm (lower) / 25cm (upper) for Glencoe when the haggis trap / canyon / main basin / spring run have all been flat (that takes 20/25ft snow drifts).

Quote:
someone up there must estimate it for them

well its certainly not the ski centers, or the ski patrols...
ski holidays
Would it not make sense for the ski centres to supply the information?
snow report
^ Snow depth is a meaningless stat for Scotland. We ski on drifted snow.
Coire Cas can be 10 feet deep - whilst the Fiacaill Ridge is 20cm and wind ripped.

Even the SCGB stats for the alps are dubious. Primarily because there is no scientific standard for measuring snow depth.
Test sites arent consistent between resorts (in terms of altitude, aspect, wind exposure, sun etc) and there is no form of calibration.

Luckily no one in their right mind ever checks SCGB for Scottish ski reports! Wink
latest report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Luckily no one in their right mind ever checks SCGB for Scottish ski reports! Wink

Unfortunately I know a fair few people who probably do and would base a decision on that Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy