Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plane full of skiers almost crashes

Poster: A snowHead
The narrowly-avoided crash of a charter plane and Ryanair jet on the runway at Manchester Airport yesterday nearly reduced the ski community by 200.

This report from The Daily Mirror. Was there a Snowhead on board, by any chance?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scarey stuff...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Probably a darkside pilot, Laughing

"ON YER RIGHT - NO LEFT - NO MY LEFT!"
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was involved in a near miss once. Landing at Baltimore airport, another plane had to do a go-around as it would have landed into us. I think I was the only passenger on our plane to notice, as we didn't do anything different to what we woud have done....makes me wonder if more of us than we think have been involved in incidents like this - though maybe less dramatic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiiers or not skiiers, equally as tragic surely?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's only tragic when they hit. But point taken.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Although this was almost a tradgedy, the line "The pilot went back to the terminal at Manchester to have the tyres and brakes checked" cracks me up. Did the pilot by any chance have a word with the other driver? I hope he had 20p for the airpump!

So now Ryanair pilots become the the 'White Van' drivers of the skies.

Seriously though, there is bound to be an investigation and disciplinary action will be no doubt taken where appropriate. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Presume he dipped his oil and bought an egg sarnie while he was at it...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of course it might not be the Ryanair pilots fault, he claims that the controller had given permision to cross the runway so maybe the controllers at fault, which wouldn't be the first time
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds as though it was ATC who were at fault rather than pilot error. There again, I suppose the Ryanair pilot might be a snowboarder... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lollie - definitely not a snowboarder, otherwise the plane would have been sitting in the middle of the runway (over the brow of a hill, of course).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm sure the local news ( I live about 10 miles from the airport) reported that the Air Traffic Controller at fault had been suspended
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ATC are always suspended immediately after any event like this before any blame has or can be apportioned. They are considered unsafe simply by being involved - and thus distracted, how well would you do your job if you found out that you might have been responsible for the near death of probably over 300 people?

Only the investigation will come up with the reason and who (if anyone) is to blame. They are sometimes controversial, but generally are very reliable at getting to the heart of the matter.

One thing to remember is that it's normally a chain of events that lead to an incident and numerous points of "blame". Any break in the chain prevents disaster - and here it was probably the pilot spotting the Ryanair plane in time to stop.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's something from today's Manchester Evening News.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank u for this enlightening thread, always wonderful to read such positive news when you are off to the airport..

Twisted Evil

Catch u on the slippy side of the 13th all!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. snowHead
snow report
I just love the platform the Manchester Evening News gives to some plane spotter who saw the thing happen. By the end, they're quoting his prescription for a safer system of taxiways around the airport...
ski holidays
Ahh I do love near accidents just as im airport bound- gives me an extra reason for a few vodkas in departure lounge before we go, followed by some serious chat with the man upstairs!
latest report
What a good advert for self drive!
ski holidays
Anybody who's flying via Manchester soon might consider themselves lucky that this near miss happened. I'll bet that air traffic control etc are really on their toes now Wink
snow conditions
Yes, what we need now is Piste Traffic Control to stop people crashing into each other on the white runways.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 6-03-04 17:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Has anyone watched any of the following lately, they are great films;

Passenger 57
Air Force One
Die Hard (any)
Airport 77 - Charlton Heston is great in this.

Wink
snow report
Passenger 57 - Mr Snipes up to his usual tricks. Wasn't overly impressed, although to be fair only watched in once.

Die Hard - excellent!

Air Force One - saw it but can't remember the story (could probably guess though).
ski holidays
I'm sure regardless of what ATC says, it's still the responsibility of the pilot to check before crossing a runway.
ski holidays
Actually, if you're travelling by plane you must watch the film 'Final Destination' it'll put all your fears at rest Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Yeah, That films got one of the best plane crash sequences I've ever seen.
You might not fly again...
snow report
Donnie Darko has a plane "crash" kinda.
latest report
...and there's a good one in the Tom Hanks movie Cast Away, which is an extremely good film IMHO.
latest report
On a lighter moment.....when we landed at Chambery, I was looking out of the window and noticed the guy who directs the plane to it's standing spot prior to "deplaning". The pilot was obviously ignoring the guy, who was gesticulating more and more furiously about where he wanted the plane. In the end he shook his fist at the cockpit and "threw" his arms in the general direction that he obviously intended the plane to go............and stomped off.

I guess you had to be there, but it was very funny watching things unfold.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy