Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes Winter 2010/1011 Season

Poster: A snowHead
holidayloverxx, fair enough, she does have a valid point. Can anyone tell me if the green run is open back to resort, the long zig zag road and what about the runs that are lower than L2A, are they open aswell?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a week old information, from when I was there.

The green zig zag - Demoiselles was open. It was pretty nasty to go down early in the week being so slushy, but fine at the end of the week.
The run down to Mont de Lans was shut.

There were a couple of runs up on the glacier shut when we were there, but I think more because it was quiet. A couple of the runs on Vallee Blanche side were shut, but didn't look far off being open. The Diable back down to village was shut towards the end of the week, but it had been warm early in the week low down so I think they were letting it recover a bit before the busier New Year week.

Obviously things can change daily, so take all this with a pinch of salt. I can't imagine that there'll be much closed when you're going.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers mate. The only reason I'm asking about the green is there will be 2 beginners with us. Hope those runs lower down were to open as it would be good to get down there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Quote from easiski on a Bend Ze Knees thread a few months ago

Quote:
I'm still writing regular snow reports on my blog, and am active on Facebook and Twitter, however I have not been on snowheads for a while as has been noted. The off piste trip business was really the last straw I'm afraid, on top of the very nasty comments when I posted about my friends' apartment for sale. There are people here who refuse to believe that anyone would do anything for nothing, and as I am sensitive to the nasty comments which were having a very bad effect on my health, I stopped! Sorry.

Thankyou.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure I'd fancy the Demoiselles as a complete beginner, especially not at the end of the day (and defo not at the beginning of the holiday). Whilst a gentle slope, it's pretty narrow with a bit of a drop on the edge. You can't do full turns so it's a case of snow ploughing a lot of the way, with little turns to slow you down a bit.

Interestingly our rep told us not to bother skiing back at all at the end of the day. That said the Valentin was in pretty good condition when I had a go at the end of the week.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
L'Y and Diable (or whatever they have been renamed to) are much better return runs. Both are blacks but are far quieter than Valentin which is always packed with people who shouldn't really be on it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, daily piste opening info: http://www.skiplan.com/site_flash/infos_stations.html and http://www.2alpes.com/pages/fr/63/infos-pistes.html

Do not send your total beginners down the Demoiselles - they will not thank you for it. I really don't see the huge problem with coming back down in the eggs or on the chairs.

You need to stop stressing about this - you won't be here for another month and conditions then will be entirely different. In the meantime you can worry yourself to death over snow conditions via Easiski's blog or http://www.2alpesnet.com/snow_report.php if you really insist. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with Lizzard completely re Demoiselles (unless you are aged 7 and ski happily up the banks for seemingly large sections).... much better to stay higher for longer and then take the bubble home... means a relaxing rather than stressful end to the day
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hows it looking out there guys? has the piste taken a bashing from the warm weather and the rain?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The blog doesn't look great. But there is a bit of snow forecast for the start of next week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hey all, an update live from resort. arrived yesterday and ropey isn't a strong enough term for the conditions of the slopes! that and 70mph winds at the top were limiting things slightly. Anyhoo, these, and the persistent rain gave way to 16 inches of powder overnight! damn near first on the lift this morning and am claiming first tracks on a couple of runs - not a bad start to the week! Got really lumpy late afternoon but clear skies tonight and a decent bash by the piste guys should make for great runs tomorrow. Conditions for the rest of the week look promising, another decent snowfall on tues, sunny the rest of the week! fingers crossed the wind stays away...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
16 inches of powder, brilliant, really pleased for you. Keep us updated!!! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3rd fury, what's the matter with lumpy? Powder moguls on a snowboard, love it. Cool Cool Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

3rd fury, what's the matter with lumpy? Powder moguls on a snowboard, love it.

Like a dunce and having looked at the forecasts (didn't predict this pow!) I only brought carving skis with me - my board is collecting dust at home! doh Sad so lumps were bad news for me! typically, my boarding trip to bulgaria is currently looking wasted - barely any snow and none in the forecast! i should have swapped really! hence im hoping for nice cordorouy in the morn! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Like a dunce and having looked at the forecasts (

Puzzled no good looking at forecasts a week in advance. wink sounds like conditions in LDA, once the blizzard died down, are absolute superb!

Hire a board - don't waste that powder. snowHead
latest report
The blog pictures today look epic.
snow conditions
Superb morning, well groomed and light snow. Clouds descended over lunch producing really flat light conditions but bringing 4-5 inches of fresh so far at the mid station and still going! the lowest slopes have also had a refreshing 2-3 inches and light snow continues. This afternoon visibility was down to ~50m down to the top of Diable 1 but tomorrow looks like the start of the next sunny period with a few snow showers thrown in for good measure! All in all good news for anyone heading here soon! Cool
snow report
That is good news. I'll be out on Saturday!!

Loks like lots of sunshgine over the coming few days though, so here's hoping there's not too much freeze-thaw going on.
ski holidays
All in, no sign of freeze-thaw at all so far.
ski holidays
last day here for me tomorrow, so it'l be a good'un. the wind here has been a bit mental the last few days (50 to 70kph reported), and on the windward sides it has whipped most of the loose powder away. the upside is that the windward slopes have been kept pretty quiet and the leeward slopes have been getting a permanent refreshing of snow! the piste bashers have done a great job each night repairing the areas where grass is showing through due to the wind (but fear not as these are few and far between!) - next week looks awesome from the reports and the skiing should be great, enjoy!
snow report
any updates from anyone?

Looks like there might be a bit forecast for the mid/end of the week. fingers crossed.
snow report
Anyone just been (or still out) to Les Deux Alpes?

What's it like out there?

Puzzled
snow conditions
It's like this: http://www.2alpesnet.com/snow_report.php Next report later today.
snow conditions
Lizzard, looks a very good site for an honest report. It's a great pity easiski no longer posts here - though I see she does blog. Bit shocking to see so much grass around the resort.
snow conditions
As currently out here thought would provide an update; Overall conditions have been better than expected. The ski station have done an excellent job keeping pistes in order and pistes are good especially on upper mountain. Moderate fall of snow tuesday has done much to improve conditions, though off piste still limited! Saying that spent the day in La Grave yesterday and that was excellent. Key problem at Les Deux alpes at moment is that only one black run is open to the town and downlift is recommended for which there are plenty of options. However if you are a happy black skier the descent down this run avoiding the carnage is somewhat entertaining!
snow conditions
Just back, good week, agree with above report, watching the carnage on valentin at the end of the day always fun. great job by the pisteurs. snow up high remained excellent. Speaking to an instructor he was saying off piste is a big no unless you really know what you are doing, snow just deep enough to hide the rocks but not ski over them. some areas have no base whatsoever.
snow report
risb98, problem with Valentin is that you might be perfectly happy on it, only to find yourself at risk form someone falling from above. Y is often a good run home - was that closed? According to easiski things look in good shape
ski holidays
achilles, front face is all closed bar the Valentin. Hence our efforts to persuade people who shouldn't be on it to get in the eggs.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, with you. In that case I'd be going down by lift, too.
snow conditions
I've just got back from a week out there. The pistes are in great shape. Anything above the first lifts is fine and every piste was open when I last looked. It's just the pistes down to town that have closures.

We returned to town twice a day via the lower Diable slope (Black run) in the early part of the week. It was officially closed due to grass and small rocks sticking out of it, but many people had worked out a route down. It then snowed a bit on Monday and Tuesday which covered the grass and rocks, making it a bit of a risk. By mid week it was very icy towards the bottom.

We then started using the only official descent - Valentin (Black run). This was in good shape all week.

We went out off piste with a UCPA guide on 4 days and he managed to find good skiing every time.
snow report
tomstickland, we'd appreciate it if people didn't do that, thanks. One of the resons the Diable is closed is to conserve the base so that it can reopen if we get decent snowfall later on. Don't suppose you considered the difficulties posed to the secouristes if someone hurts themselves down there either.

If pistes are closed there are usually quite good reasons for it.
ski holidays
If this one comes off I reckon my first day skiing on Sunday could be a good one!!!

Dave
snow report
Hi everyone

I've just come back from Les 2 Alpes and the conditions sound like they haven't changed much in the past week or two. It snowed heavily just after we arrived (26 Feb) but Monday through Friday were pretty clear.

The only run back to the village which was open was Valentine (a black - which I didn't run) but from the first lift station up all runs seemed open and with really good snow cover. From what we could see on the lifts, the off-piste snow was also really good from the first lifts up. Some of the better skiers in our group did some guided days off-piste and had a ball - they confirmed that the snow was plentiful.

We went up part of the green run into the village on skidoos one night and it was really patchy - lots of ice and mud! - so I doubt it will be running again this season but if you see that as you come into resort don't let it put you off. Once you get up the mountain in the lifts (past what you can see from the village) everything is running great and there appear to be huge banks of snow hoarded at the top of the glacier.

Only thing maybe worth mentioning was that one of the lifts in La Grave was apparently down (or that's what we heard) so the guided trips there from the middle of the the week (wed/fri 2/4 March) weren't running. I'm not sure when they were due to be back. Some of our group were booked to head over but didn't make it - they paid for guiding round Les 2 Alpes off-piste instead and claimed it was some of the best money they'd ever spent.

KT
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Brought to you by Babelfish, presumably. Laughing

quite possibly, you should offer your services to the tourist office.
ski holidays
Here at the moment, Valentins is the only run open back to town, the snow up on the main area is holding up well, over on the vallee blanche area its soft in the afternoon. Its quite busy french half term queues not too bad. All the lower slopes are open. Went to alp de huez and sarnne was closed Crying or Very sad very busy over there, its belgian half term as well.
latest report
Left this morning 0500 yuk, there had been a steady fall from around 20.00 the night before, about two to four inches, which was needed, hope the teamprature stays low as at town level its seriously slushy.

French and Belgian half term are over.
latest report
I see snow is forecast for this week and w/e for L2A...
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast.asp?resortID=106

Does anyone have any good reccomendations for Apres Ski / Happy Hour /cheap bars? We've bagged a cheap deal to Les 2 Alpes next week-end and need some good tips of must do's.

I'll also ask in the resort thread...

TIA
snow report
WayneC, try this link http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74419&highlight= , can recommend the Windsor
ski holidays
Thanks radar, doh - searched for L2A and Les deux Alpes
snow report
WayneC, I'm off to tomorrow LDA! There will be a group of us, some staying in the Lutins, some in Aalborg, others elsewhere. We usually meet up in the Lutins bar when the lifts close.

Anyone else about?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy