Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes info

Poster: A snowHead
Going here for the 1st time over Christmas and would appreciate some advice about the cost of coffee/hot chocs/lunch in the resort and in mountain restaurants. We are staying a hotel with breakfast/evening meal so trying to gauge how much cash to take for lunches.
I know last year people were posting crazy prices for 'simple' lunches and hot drinks and I am hoping this year it may be less extortionate?
We won't be having long lazy lunches or any alcohol - kids are happy with chips and we can have soup but I am clueless about whether we are looking at €5 or €10 for a bowl of soup etc

Also - ski schools - just need a day's refresher really - any one to recommend/avoid? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sally s, For instruction you can't do better than www.easiski.com

Les Deux Alpes is less expensive than many resorts but to be honest I can't remember how much everything costs. Coffee about €4 perhaps, soup somewhere about €6/€7, same for a panini off the top of my head and depending which place you use on the mountain.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can get a whopping big pain Americain from the Creperie du Centre in the middle of town for about a fiver or burgers/crepes/pizzas from Le Takeaway at similar. More expensive on the hill - if you want cheap, come back to resort to eat.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 21-11-10 17:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
White coffee in the Glacier resto- 3,80€. Espresso was 2€.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells, prices up there are ridiculous. The Kanata was doing moules frites and a beer for 15€ last season though, that was a bargain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snack bar on the outside of the Cretes resto was the cheapest on-mountain we found last year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard,
Quote:

if you want cheap, come back to resort to eat
Top tip for those on a tight budget, even in otherwise really expensive places like Courchevel 1850 - where the sarnies in the shopping centre are delicious and cheap.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Le Takeaway is amazing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
Hells Bells, prices up there are ridiculous. The Kanata was doing moules frites and a beer for 15€ last season though, that was a bargain.

I'm liking the sound of that!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all that - may have to rely on the emergency Mars Bars if we can't make it back to resort for lunch!

As a follow up - do the mountain restaurants take plastic or or is is strictly cash?

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My brother & I had a great few days at Les 2 Alpes at the end of January. Skiing and snow conditions superb.

Prices on the mountain were pretty steep but I seem to remember that the takeaway bit at the restaurant at Toura 2600 just at the bottom of the chair up to the glacier wasn't quite as bad and a really top spot for lunch
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sally s, plastic. Though some of the smaller places have a limit, so if you just want a coffee or whatever, take some cash.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't remember exact prices, but i remember the majority of mountain eateries to be a bit cheaper that other French resorts. There are plenty of panini and coffee/beer places that seemed very reasonably priced - both in town and on the lower slopes.

I don't tend to eat meals at lunch - I'm a grab a sandwich/pancake kind of gal. I reckon I was only spending about 10 euro a day on the slopes.

The only place I remember being very pricey was the Glacier restaurant - the most expensive Hot Chocolate I ever have drunk!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sally s, it's not terrifyingly expensive - if you buy an omelette and chips in the Toura, it will go three ways (not down, up and back out, that is...) without too much hassle. Alternatively, you could eat the chips and take the omelette home and use it as an edible duvet for the rest of the week. The waiters don't seem to mind if you split the portions between yourselves.

magic_hat, are you coming back this year? Aura and I are out from 14-21 Dec for some early season fun with a couple of silly friends. Webcams already looking nice!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh and don't go to Charly Burger.
snow report
Swirly, Charly Burger is no more, as of last season.
ski holidays
Quote:

Swirly, Charly Burger is no more, as of last season.

I, for one, am not sorry about that.

As others have mentioned, in LDA if you are strapped for cash then it is better to go back into town and buy something to eat. The Diable lift is better situated for this than the others as you can get off, go into Spar or something and then eat your purchase on the lift. Otherwise, carbs in a hurry in LDA:

1) big bag of pain choc/croissants from the patisserie next to the Secret (main street, down the Venosc end of town) will do both breakfast and lunch, especially if you have jam with you.

2) Croque monsieur from the from the boulangerie diagonally opposite the Diable lift station.

3) Le Takeaway. If we're really into carbs for Euros nerdiness counting then the Buffalo pizza is the best option.

Restaurant wise, I thought the one down the end of the gours piste in the Fee area was better value than any of the others but then I ate in restaurants three times in the five months I spent there.

Be aware that there are no public toilets on the hill. Worth having the odd Euro on you for a cup of coffee and a toilet voucher.
snow report
Quote:

Be aware that there are no public toilets on the hill. Worth having the odd Euro on you for a cup of coffee and a toilet voucher

Thanks for all the tips - especially the toilet one - kids are forever wanting to go(probably because I am always encouraging them to keep hydrated). Do you mean if you buy something in a cafe/restaurant you get a voucher for its loos and then you have to give the voucher to soemone at the door of the toilets? Do you get 4 vouchers for 4 coffees or would you get them for eg a bar of chocolate - my son is 15 and probably too old to be relieving himself round the back of anything anymore!

Thanks
ski holidays
sally s, You can use them for a few cents even if you aren't a customer.
ski holidays
Colin B, in fact, you can use them whether or not you are a customer. That's the law and every restaurant owner knows it - you just have the have the balls to be rude enough to march in and use the toilet without so much as buying a Snickers bar. Laughing

Leaving that aside, the toilets next to the Pano bar at 2600 are open to the public.
ski holidays
[quote="gorilla"]
Quote:

Worth having the odd Euro on you for a cup of coffee and a toilet voucher.

And full mountaineering kit for the steps down to the Cretes toilets?
Otherwise few criticisms of LDA as one of the more sensibly priced resorts.
ski holidays
Just back after a wonderful week in LDA - our first French ski hol and pleasantly surprised by the prices of food etc and quality after last years's horror stories - kids survived on paninis and baguettes and overall we were very impressed by the resort and spectacular runs.
Even got away with only a few hours delay out of Gatwick on the 20th and the tour op (Neilson) faultless. (Grenoble airport the best example of organised chaos I've seen in a long time!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy