Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book my second trip for this season with a group of mates. 6 guys all snowbaorders looking for a cheap fix that is snow sure.

Now I can live with the stray dogs and begging children horror stories as this doesent bother me. The real horror stories im concerned about are from people who say that they got to resort and there was now snow!!! AAAAAAAAARGGGGH Mad

Ive done my research and Bulgaria mountains are warmer than the alps and do have a tendancy to get fairly warm low down mid season killing the snow. We plan to go 26th of Feb for a week and this would seem to be slap bang mid season which should be okay.

Attraction to Bulgaria is the price of course

Budget is £500 pp for flight/accom/catered/ski pass

Any advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm not looking good
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Folgarida with Wayne?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
not............
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
surfstar, not.........
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Surfstar been to bansko in bulgaria for the last 3 years as a second ski holiday i tend to go around mid feb to mid march depending on the price if your lucky you can some time get ski pass, flights, accommodation and transfers for under £350 the best place to look for this would be Balkan Holidays.
As for bansko itself the snow conditions here are the most reliable in Bulgaria, with fast modern lifts when your up the mountain plus food and beer is extremely cheap (we are talking a £1.20 a pint). The downside is the gondola to get up the mountain in the morning which can have a long queue for the gondola but as your looking at going later in the year this shouldn't be a problem.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chelt881 wrote:
the best place to look for this would be Balkan Holidays.

Balkan Mafia Holidays. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski, he doesn't care about the begging children or the Mafia for goodness sake, he just wants a cheap holiday. The thing which puts me off most is the horror stories of queues for that gondola. I don't do queues.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
I don't do queues.

TBF, if you visited Bansko on a slack week, the queues would be bearable. The terrible food on the mountain, the lack of piste kms, the grubby town and miserable locals are less bearable IMV.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NOT!!!!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am relatively new to SH's and am confused about all of this Bulgaria negativity. Cards on the table time.. I own an apartment in Bansko, so I guess I have a biased opinion, but I dont understand this Bulgaria bashing.
I dont have a lot of skiing under my belt ( Scotland 2 x weekends), Bulgaria ( bansko x 4 weeks, Borovets x 1 day), Tignes 3 days last year on the mountain sun ski and board camp. So I am by no means qualified to give advice.
However I can tell you what I have seen.

I have had some great skiing in Bankso ( and the one day in Borovets). I wont even try to compare the KMs to Tignes as that is a no brainer, but there is plenty there to keep me busy for a week. I am an intermediate, so can get down pretty much any slope, but prefer the reds and blues.

And if you have a budget to stick to then how can you ignore Bulgaria? Can't remember wher I got this from , but it was reputable (might have been The Times)

Ski resort Bansko Vail Val d’Isere
Cup of coffee £1.02 £2.18 £3.58
Coca-Cola £1.26 £1.82 £3.30
Wine (50cl carafe) £3.88 £14.54 £9.17
Beer (25cl) £1.36 £2.91 £3.30
Evening meal for 2 adults
(3 courses excl. drinks) £34.95 £67.63 £82.57
TOTAL £42.47 £89.08 £101.92

Now I am not saying that Bulgaria is as good as the Alps (I am not stupid), but pound for pound it is a great option.

If a budget means that you have to compromise a bit with your ski holiday then.....
If you want to go on a ski HOLIDAY - then choose Bulgaria
If you want to go on a SKI holiday - then choose Alps and go self catering

All of that is just my opinion and by no means fact

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smagsmith wrote:
I own an apartment in Bansko, so I guess I have a biased opinion

That certainly is the impression I get around here: anyone who has an apartment in Bansko is really up-beat on the place (maybe because they want to sell/rent it?), but those who have been and *don't* have a personal interest are much less positive.

Certainly, from the stories I hear, I would be more likely to do a summer(!) holiday in Skegness than a week in Bansko.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought I was being very honest. I dont want to sell and am not actively seeking rents, although there are many that are. I am just saying it as I see it. I am not trying to encourage people to go to Bansko, just trying to give people the info they need to make a decision. In the end it is up to individuals to make that call.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
smagsmith, I'd add 50% to your Vail prices! wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do the maths. You can get a good value ski holiday in Italy or Austria for £1-200 more than Bulgaria. Personally I feel it's worth the extra whether your preference is potential for better snow, charming Alpine villages, less crime, nicer food and a better ambience. But if you really can't afford the extra and are willing to accept all the potential pitfalls of Bulgaria, then why not?
ski holidays
We went to Bankso for New Year nearly 2 years ago. Snow was pretty good certainly enough to ski, but a few bare patches. I certainly would not recommend New Year as the queues got rediculous on a few days. My parents went again in March (the same year), had good snow and no trouble with queues.

Good luck whatever you decide.
snow conditions
Val d'Isere prices are not representative of the whole of France! You could also add 100 quid to your budget and get a very decent holiday in France, including being catered for and a pass to cover bigger (and more snow-sure) areas than either Borovets or Bansko.

Having said that, surfstar, I've been to Bulgaria 3 times skiing in the past - always during the first week of March. Snow was generally patchy (ice, rock, mud) for half the week and then a big dump would arrive and salvage things. You're not going to have NO snow... just might not be very good snow... or you could have knee-deep powder! If it's a choice between Bulgaria and no skiing - go to Bulgaria!
snow report
Some good points there.

I get the sense that there is a certain element of risk if im after a snow-sure week with some off piste thrown in. I accept that Bulgaria is a great place to go but this trip needs to deliver. Risk of big queues and patchy snow doesnt thrill me and for the sake of maybe £100 its looking like France may be a contender.

Miranda, love the look of your chalet btw!
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Do the maths. You can get a good value ski holiday in Italy or Austria for £1-200 more than Bulgaria. Personally I feel it's worth the extra whether your preference is potential for better snow, charming Alpine villages, less crime, nicer food and a better ambience. But if you really can't afford the extra and are willing to accept all the potential pitfalls of Bulgaria, then why not?

I couldn't agree more. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Definitely NOT ... false economy IMHO ... but if you do AVOID Borovets!
snow report
Interesting comments from all perspectives. I have never had bad snow conditions, so I am either very lucky or others have been unlucky. Last year I was skiing in awesome fresh snow. I totally agree that it is not good to go to Bansko at Xmas, New year or school holidays. The queues are bad and that is why I dont go at these times. Until Bansko gets a second gondola (if ever) then things will not improve when it gets busy. All other times of the season are fine. I have never queued more than 10 minutes.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, has summed it up...

Perhaps one day I too will be in the position of not having that £100-200 extra to spend and if and when that day comes I'll be Bansko (or Poland) bound without a moments hesitation - begging dogs and stray children or not snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy