Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots - to buy or to hire?

Poster: A snowHead
A general question re boots.....

Mrs. has offered to buy me some boots for Xmas. Whilst I haven't skied for a couple of years, we'll probably be going one a year for the foreseeable future.

Is it worth buying a pair, with all the hassle of carriage etc., or shall I just go for the hire pair in resort?

Dobby (intermediate)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BUY! but only buy properly fitted boots, if you are just going to get the cheap ones in the sale then rent
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dobby, if you only ever buy one piece of ski kit, it should be a properly fitted pair of boots. Get a holdall with large pockets in either end, the boots will fit in there, and you won't need to pay carriage.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby, accept your wife's offer! snowHead

I started owning my own from my third holiday and thats when my skiing technique started to improve. As has been said though, get them fitted well!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dobby, also means you shouldn't buy cheap ones...there's a direct relationship (usually) between price and quality.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For
- Better fit
- They pay for themselves

Against
- Carriage
- With rental boots you can go back to the shop if you have a problem
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buy.

Good boots = good skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy. They're not that much hassle to haul (certainly compared to skis).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are confident you are going every year from now on I would say buy. Although looking at boots friends have hired the quality of rental boots has improved dramatically from when I used to rent.

However, I would also say the the cost of the boot should be related to the level of your skiing. A very expensive and usually very stiff advanced boot will not help your technique if your skiing ability isn't quite up to it. I've met several lower intermediate skiers really struggling with top of the range boots, thats how I got my X Wave 9's dirt cheap.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The best investment you will ever make, but as others have said make sure you get them fitted properly.

Try and avoid saturday afternoons at this time of year if you can.
Try and avoid looking at boots in magazines or the web web before hand.
Remember you are buying them for function not the colour or graphics. It's much cooler to ski well than have the latest "hot" boots, ski poorly and be uncomfortable.
Be honest about your abilities and what kind of skiing you do.

And again like people have said ignore the price and make the decision on fit and function. If you are lucky enough that your foot fits a few boots well, then make a value judgement.

Good luck and remember they improve with use... So a perfect excuse to try and fit another trip.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BUY snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks, all. I have funny feet (I wear orthotics) so I'll be careful with the fit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dobby, In that case, it's definately, definately, BUY. Very Happy But it's not you that needs to be careful with the fit - you need to get the fitted by a professional fitter. Depending on where you live, it would be advisable to go to one of the recommended fitters - there's a thread around here somewhere that covers it. I'll find it...

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 20-11-10 15:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There ya go....

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68061
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers, Schuss.

Anyone know of anywhere decent for boot fitting near Cardiff? There are a couple of shops in the area, but no idea if they are any good.
ski holidays
Allow lots of time in the shop to walk about in the possible boots. If you do this at a resort remember this may be when most people have just arrived and want boots and skis for the holiday, or it will be when you could be skiing.

I last bought boots in England at a shop by an indoor ski slope. I bought, then took them direct onto the snow for an hour. Then I took them back to the shop and asked for two pressure points to be relieved.
I came back to pick them up and tried them on the slope again. I took them back to the shop and asked for one of the points to be done a bit more. Perfect.
I've skied them 4 seasons with no problems.
latest report
dobby, yes buy, and with your new helmet maybe buy some skis as well, hell to the cost and the ski carriage charge on the plane
snow report
Dobby, definitely buy and also get a good pair of orthodontic custom insoles to ensure you get 100% weight transfer onto the boot sole, you're skiing will defeinitely improve - as will your hygeine, the idea of wearing someone elses sweaty boots is alien to me!

Snow and rock generally good boot fitters in UK - however I'd be inclined to wait until in resort and then get a pair there, you can keep calling back into the shop and get minor adjustments done, and ensure that small incremental adjustments are made. Your boots are the most important purchase you'll ever make, after all its your connection to the snow, and they need to be spot-on. Smile
ski holidays
Markymark29, +1
snow report
dobby, don't know if it's still there but there used to be a ski shop in Barry, which did not do a good job for my daughter.
ski holidays
The Ski Lodge is in the Bay near Asda, which used to be in Barry. They've been around for years so I would hope they're good!
snow report
I know the Ski Lodge has been around a long time, but my daughter really did have a bad experience with them. Of course, it may just have one bad fitter.
ski holidays
dobby wrote:
Cheers, Schuss.

Anyone know of anywhere decent for boot fitting near Cardiff? There are a couple of shops in the area, but no idea if they are any good.

There's a place over in the Vale that always used to be good.... Can't for the life of me remember its name though!
snow report
Found it! http://www.coyoti.com/ Although their website doesn't seem to be at its usual goodness though... The guys in Up and Under (www.upandunder.co.uk) are really good as well and can point you in the right direction.
ski holidays
I'm not convinced thatthere's any strightforward relationship between price and suitability for a recreational skier. A good bootfitter will know from the shape of your feet, and the general kind of skiing you do, what sort of boots will be best for you. CEM did mine and they're not particularly expensive (or at least, they weren't before I went for the zipfits 2 seasons in wink).
latest report
Bought my boots and took them out to the Alps in jan for the first time, wow what a difference. Warm, fit like a glove (properly fitted with moulded insoles) comfy and only had my feet in. I skied so much better in them. I would certainly buy them, and you dont have to spend loads and loads of money. Mine cost me £280 for the boot and to have them adjusted and to have my own insoles fitted. Get them bought.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Dobby, definitely buy and also get a good pair of orthodontic custom insoles

I think you mean orthotic, unless you're a dentist. Laughing
latest report
Spyderman - LOL yes, maybe its my false teeth in my boots that were holding me back! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
Dobby, definitely buy and also get a good pair of orthodontic custom insoles

Foot in mouth moment? wink

Buy boots, buy at boot fitters, take several hours over it and LISTEN to bootfitters questions and answer honestly, wear liners in, love boots, enjoy better skiing, never hire again! Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy