Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how would 2001 saloman Xscream silver compare against 2010 skiis

Poster: A snowHead
I used a pair of saloman xscream9s (silver) in 2001 happliy for a week before trashing my knee, and after avoiding offpiste since, i'll be spending 2 weeks offpiste skiing this season, and am wondering how the 10 yr old, mint, skiis will perform off piste against new technology skiis - bearing in mind the cost of holidays, guides etc, would new skiis be worthwhile? I am not an advanced skiier - decades on black runs, but only 5-10 turn stage off piste.

Same question also for the bindings - saloman 850s.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Someone more knowledgeable will be along I'm sure but I expect modern far wider skis would make it far easier for you than with your old Xscreams. Don't know about bindings though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buzzfan, your bindings are probably fine but worth checking by a technician. There's little that can go wrong with them and binding tech hasn't changed appreciably in at least 20 years.

Skis are a different matter. The X-creams were probably the last revolutionary ski that Salomon made, for their time a stupendous hangover ski.

These days, you'll find skis that are way easier and better off piste. Closest analogue possibly whatever Rossi Bandit 3s have morphed into. Or similar.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've still got an old pair of xscreams, a great ski in their day. I don't use them anymore off-piste having got sucked into the "fatter is better" mantra. But it occurred to me the snow hasn't changed, the mountains haven't changed, the technique hasn't changed much in the last 10 years so why wouldn't your old xscreams still be a very competent ski?
You might get a few of the flash Harrys looking down their nose at you in the lift queue but unless you are doing some hardcore routes I'd say go for it. You could always hire some fat skis for a day or 2 to see if you want to upgrade.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, seem to remember those silvery things! they're in mint condition so should ski fine, how have they been stored, ie have they been stored flat together and taped? Just that they're foam cored so will loose their camber very easily. As the guys say, definately get your bindings tested at a shop but if they check out then they'll be good to go! Guess the xscreams will measure up around the 69mm under foot so if you went for a more modern pair they'll be wider and more supportive....balancing out cost to the advantage you'll get out of this is up to you...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
The X-creams were probably the last revolutionary ski that Salomon made, for their time a stupendous hangover ski.

These days, you'll find skis that are way easier and better off piste. Closest analogue possibly whatever Rossi Bandit 3s have morphed into. Or similar.

Pocket Rockets maybe?

I'd suggest something like a Rossi S3 for latest tech in skis without going too fat.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thansk for the prompt advice - they were stored flat, but not taped - when stood vertically against a straight edge, the camber is 15mm. Ski is 105mm at widest front tip, 95mm at widest rear tip, and 67mm at narrowest ie under heel. At the time, they seemed enormously wide Smile

I plan to try them out, if I like then easy! But I'd also love to learn telemark......!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buzzfan, They'll be fine, you do still see a lot of people with them on the Piste and they seem to be ok.

True it's mainly "Johnny Foreigners" using them because unlike the Brits they don't believe they simply must use the latest gear.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marcellus wrote:

True it's mainly "Johnny Foreigners" using them because unlike the Brits they don't believe they simply must use the latest gear.

& they might get more time on snow than the average Brit. Any ski at 90mm+ from the last 7 years or so would be my preference over a skinny foam cored 10 year old ski for off piste.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buzzfan wrote:
thansk for the prompt advice - they were stored flat, but not taped - when stood vertically against a straight edge, the camber is 15mm. Ski is 105mm at widest front tip, 95mm at widest rear tip, and 67mm at narrowest ie under heel. At the time, they seemed enormously wide Smile

A mid-fat carving ski then, should be fine off piste. I think my 11 year old Dynastar 4x4s are a bit skinnier. My only concern would be if the bases have dried out in storage. They may need a full service (fartage, remise à plat etc) which would cost you around 30 euros in France at any rate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
...make your choice, personally there's too many good bargains going on ebay and the bargain sections of various websites to actually ride these off piste, get a budget of £150 and you'll enjoy your off-piste weeks WAY more!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where are all these bargains you speak of Doc, I never seem to find any!

All I'm after is a pair of 85mm-95mm waisted skis to mount some Dynafits on but can't find anything cheap!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
galpinos, what is your budget?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
galpinos, ebay.de is your friend

first search i did

http://cgi.ebay.de/Volkl-Mantra-184-cm-Ski-Marker-Duke-Bindung-/280589397411?pt=Sport_Skisport_Skier&hash=item41546e6da3#ht_500wt_1156
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A paltry £200 for skis and skins!
snow report
Shoogly, thanks, I need to improve my googling/ebay.de searching skills!

Swwet.
ski holidays
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Liberty-Hazmat-All-mountain-Skis-186cm-Skis-/350415238425?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN&hash=item5196603519

Sweet all mountain twin...outrageous price aswell!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy