Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with Nerves...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It can be really daunting considering getting on that board for the first time (I remember it well!) Yes, a board can go fast, if the rider wants it to. The first lessons you will learn, though, as a beginner is to make your snowboard go slow - which is why you absolutely SHOULD take snowboard lessons from a certified instructor. They will make your first experiences on a snowboard so much more enjoyable and safer.

A snowboard is quite easy to control once you get the hang of it - seriously. With the edge of the board jammed into the snow, it won't go anywhere unless you are on a really, really steep slope and you wouldn't go on one of those as a beginner.

One on one is great if you want maximum progress in minimum time. But a group can be a lot of fun too. There is always a lot of camaraderie among adult snowboard beginners, and you can encourage and help each other.

You should be able to find an all-women beginner's group in your area, which would be less competitive.

Good luck and GO FOR IT!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mmm singing...

recommended songs...

Another one bites the dust. (queen)
i can't stand up for falling down (elvis costello)

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tuxpoo wrote:
Firstly those suggesting la plagne is a good snowboard beginners resort really cant have learnt in la plagne. The place is flats hell!
Fine when you are confident enough to mach5 across the flats, but for beginners it rapidly becomes a walking holiday.

Ill assume your talking about steep groomed pistes ...

Granted, it's no AK but off the back of Roche De Mio and up on Bellecote there are so storming runs. A lot of the runs above Plagne Cenre and Plagne Villages are flat but these things happen and you just deal with it and avoid them..... Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are that scared, why do you snowboard?

What do you get out of it that makes putting up with the fear worthwhile?

I am also scared of heights. I got my pilots licence to help me over come this but that didn't work. Even flying the most basic of microlights didn't scare me at all, in fact it was a thrill. Driving to the airfield would sometimes be terrible but once I was in the aircraft, with all checks down, I couldn't wait to get in the air. It's structures that scare me and cliff edges have the same effect but to a lesser extent.

On the snow, however, unless I am stopped having a smoke/rest and am looking around, I just see the line I want to take.

Fear is dumbed down by exposure/familiarisation. If you really want to get over it, go for longer than one week. You won't believe how good you will get in days 8, 9, 10 etc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bar shaker, A mate of mine is a commercial pilot who has no trouble flying but gets severe vertigo on cable cars... should have seen him on the Vanoise Express at Les Arcs Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had the same on the cable car up the Aiguille du Midi. Its an amazing view but it scared the bejesus out of me. Then once I got off at the top, I got hypoxia.

Not my favourite day, that one.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bar shaker, you should try walking the arête and slipping over a few times. Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy