Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early Feb 2011 - Where to go

Poster: A snowHead
Good afternoon,

This is my first visit to the site so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I am looking to go away skiing for 7 - 10 days at the start of Feb with my wife and I. The only stipulation is that I need to be back in the UK for the 13th February.

In an ideal world we would prefer to go to Canada or the States but due to cost, this is not looking very likely.

Can anyone recommend where might be best to go in Europe? We just want somewhere that is going to give us the best skiing possible and ideally, the best snow available. We will not be too bothered about nightlife but will obviously need to eat during our trip and if we need to eat out then we'd like a little bit of variety.

Any ideas / pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

paulg81
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulg81, Without quite a lot more information it's pretty impossible to answer your question - it's a very good time for snow, all resorts have restaurants. What sort of skiing? (what level, on or off piste), what sort of accommodation? Do you want ski in/out or would you prefer to be in a proper village? What country? Do you like miles and miles of pistes and not ski the same run twice all week? Smaller, cosier, places? Steep, tricky slopes or nice wide flattering ones?

Budget?

Nobody knows where the "best" snow will be (whatever they might tell you wink )
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
French and UK school holidays start on or after 12th Feb so the timing is good. At that time of the season you shouldn't have to worry about snow conditions.

TBH you haven't given enough for info to be give recs.

Have you been to any European resorts before? Will be flying, driving or going on the train? Do you need apartments, chalets, or hotels? Do you want tough skiing, lots of easy piste, off piste? Will you be eating in mountain restaurants?

Countries tend to have a certain flavour with the odd exception. France is functional, Italy chic and image, Austria picturesque and boisterous, Switzerland, not cheap but quality. The worlds your oyster Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apologies Pam, was not sure exactly what to include.

I am a boarder of fairly competent level but by no means expert or advanced. My wife is an exceptional skier, albeit lacking in confidence.

In terms of skiing terrain, I love a bit of off-piste and like to have a bit of variety from run to run, although I must admit that I love a big long, wide run more than anything. We also do not mind skiing the same runs more than once but as above we would prefer quite a bit of variety to keep us occupied.

Accommodation wise, we are not fussy as long as it is clean and comfortable and not a complete hassle to get to and from the lifts / pistes on a daily basis.

Finally, in terms of budget, it can be anything, pretty much. It will pail in significance compared to the £3.5k we are being quoted for North America!!!!

Thanks again, hopefully this is more useful for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
French and UK school holidays start on or after 12th Feb so the timing is good. At that time of the season you shouldn't have to worry about snow conditions.

TBH you haven't given enough for info to be give recs.

Have you been to any European resorts before? Will be flying, driving or going on the train? Do you need apartments, chalets, or hotels? Do you want tough skiing, lots of easy piste, off piste? Will you be eating in mountain restaurants?

Countries tend to have a certain flavour with the odd exception. France is functional, Italy chic and image, Austria picturesque and boisterous, Switzerland, not cheap but quality. The worlds your oyster Toofy Grin

Thanks, hopefully my second update will allow a few more people to help.

Only thing I have not added is that we are likely to be flying in from Manchester as we love 5 minutes from the airport and it saves a lot of hassle.I have only been to Courchevel before but I would not like to comment on that as it was my very first ski trip and I was nowhere near as good as I am now so it would probably be a completely different holiday if I was to go back.

We are happy to eat in mountain restaurants but also happy to self cater if the restaurants are outlandishly expensive. Basically, the skiing / boarding is the most important thing to us and anything else is a bonus or something that we can work around.

Thanks

paulg81
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you tried Virgin Holidays for the states a couple of years ago me and the missus went to Tahoe at the beginning of March and only £1300 for the two of us including car hire and a lift pass for myself for a week and then a £150 add on for two nights in San Francisco. The pass covered me for all the Tahoe resorts and with a car was perfect to ski a different area most days giving different terrains and experiences.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try Morzine in the Portes du Soleil, massive ski area, decent sized town with a few different restaurants and not as expensive as the Three Valley's.

The main issue for us last time was we were based at the bottom of the hill, meaning we had a climb to both of the gondola's each morning, the fact that it was quite slippy under foot didn't help either, or Maybe I'm just being pedantic NehNeh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulg81, you could do worse thasn to check out La Rosiere, the sking area is in France and Italy so it's interesting to compare the differences, there's plenty of offpiste to keep you amused as well as a snow park and board/ski-cross area. Have a look a www.larosiere.net for more information. I know my son has availability in his chalets for early Feb go to www.morealps.com for details.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

we love 5 minutes from the airport

well I hope you don't do it in the road and frighten the horses.

Some very bold and somewhat misleading generalisations above. Not all Italy is chic, not all France is functional, etc etc
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yawn. Sad Not you Pam.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

we love 5 minutes from the airport

well I hope you don't do it in the road and frighten the horses.

Some very bold and somewhat misleading generalisations above. Not all Italy is chic, not all France is functional, etc etc

My contribution - Courchevel.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulg81, I'd recommend Serre Chevalier - conditions likely to be fine then. It's a resort well regarded by boarders and skiers for the natural pipes, ample off-piste options and also by skiers for tree-line pistes offering easy/cruisey/fast and blast runs. It's not overly expensive as large resorts go, has a bit of nightlife if you want it, but certainly not a wild place by any stretch.

The four main towns are quite traditional with a bus service linking the whole valley. Briancon is the highest town in Europe where the old fortified part provides some nice places to dine in a charming setting.

I've not checked, but if flights go into Turin from Manchester, hiring a car to get to Serre Che will provide a transfer in under 2 hours.

If you want/like a catered chalet with exceptional food and great wine in very comfortable, stylish surroundings I'd recommend Les Marmottes in Chantemerle. One of the best places I've stayed at and the hostess Karin Lucas is almost legendary in the area for her culinary skills. Her husband is a wine merchant so the wine is usually first class. NB - I've no commercial interest in the place, just passing on info in the knowledge you won't be disappointed Very Happy

The skiing is very well-linked with plenty of variety - I've been 5 times and don't intend stopping!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paul81 , have a look at http://www.vip-chalets.com/ to get an idea on what £3000, inc flights, passes and hire should get you, they go to a few resorts, might be worth phoning them.

I have not used them, but they seem to offer what you need. Only down side is they do not do La Rosser. Very Happy

Chasseur's recomendation looks good as well, and is based on using it not flogging it, cheaper than my choice as well.

Good luck, should be fun.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi paulg81, firstly I'm surprised no-on has said, "Welcome to snowHeads snowHead "
(I don't know what this place is coming to)

You've had a few suggestions and I'm sure you'll get lots more but that week happens to be the week of the "snowHeads 7th Birthday Bash" in Arabba, Italy. The group is made up entirely of snow-heads from snowHeads and it's one of the highlights of the season.
Quote:
We just want somewhere that is going to give us the best skiing possible and ideally, the best snow available.
The ski area is one of the biggest in the world (Sela Ronda/Dolomiti Superski), from high altitude (Marmalada) down to long, tree-lined bar-speckled pistes into dozens of villages.
Quote:
We will not be too bothered about nightlife but will obviously need to eat during our trip and if we need to eat out then we'd like a little bit of variety.
Arabba has very limited night-life but with 40 or 50 snowHeads we kind of being our own Wink
And of course, the food is excellent - possibly too excellent as there were a number of mountain refugios that I really wanted to try but was still too full from the night before Laughing

Final details of the trip will go up any time now.
Many of the people planning to go are already chatting about it here.
And you can get an idea of what to expect from last year's topic about it here
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulg81, Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Little Angel
snow report
pam w,

Quote:

Did you miss the part where I said "Countries tend to have a certain flavour with the odd exception."

The idea was tease out some ideas from the paulg81 in regard of what would suit. Not all French lift attendants shrug their shoulders when you ask them why the lift is not running but in general that is what they do. wink
snow report
/\ wot geepee said /\

Don't wanna go upsetting admin now do we? Especially if....
Quote:

Final details of the trip will go up any time now.

Toofy Grin Little Angel
latest report
I'm not sure whether you're excited enough yet Schuss in Boots... maybe I should build the tension a bit?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy