Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there. I have skiied for years with a cheap pair of orange goggles, and am looking to upgrade for this season. Seeing as I think I'll spend a bit of money on them (but no more than £80-£120), and am a bit short sighted (0.5 prescription), what do you guys think to prescription goggles? I generally ski in goggles most of the time and my glasses do make quite a bit of difference, in low light especially.

Does anyone use prescription goggles? Are they worth it? Where did you get them from and do you have any recommendations as to brand or shop?

Thanks very much !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomopope, You'll find some suggestions on http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=67883&highlight=prescription+goggles
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, I have Adidas Yodai with an RX insert.

I find them much better than my experience with OTG goggles which I found to be very uncomfortable - glasses pressed into face / side of head.

Adidas Yodai have quick-change spherical lenses so they have good peripheral and lateral vision and WHEN you scratch the lens it can be replaced rather than the whole goggle.

They do tend to steam-up on the inside of the RX insert when I stop probably because of the relative close proximity of the RX insert lens to the face. When I get going again the airflow through the goggle vents usually clears the fog from the inside of the RX insert.

I bought the googles without the insert at my local ski shop so I could check the fit on my face and helmet.

I ordered the RX insert and some additional lenses online from http://www.vision3k.com/

Hope this helps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll second the use of Adidas Yodai's + RX inserts... in fact I like them so much I have 2 pairs + 2 inserts (got a good deal a few years back) saves having to swap things over plus, although the insert is removeable, it can be a little tricky (removing the lens would probably make it a lot easier but haven't needed to do this).

@winterisbest I too have / have had the fogging problem. One trick I have found to improve it alot is as follows:

1) Take some liquid soap or shower gel
2) Put a tiny amount on your finger and rub onto the face of the RX insert (the side closest to your eyes)
3) Bake on with a hair dryer (keep it moving so as not to over heat things) alternatively leave until very dry (I've found that the hair drier is best)
4) Insert will be smeared, etc. so polish with a soft cloth
5) you're ready to go

This helps a hell of a lot with fogging and, when it does go a bit smeared on the hill, drying / polishing with a soft cloth works really well as the residual soap acts as anti fog again!!!

Note that I do this every morning when on holiday (or the evening when I get off the hill if I'm not already on Apres-Ski!!)

Also @ winterisbest I have never removed the lens on my goggles and haven't found any instructions... is it easy? Do they come out from the front?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another on Adidas + prescription insert. For me, the ID2 has a slightly better field of view with the insert in than the Yodai.

Reasonable price from the guys below. Rather cheaper than other online sellers I looked at.

http://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk/eyewear/adidas_goggles/26/

Regarding fogging: I went to a dive shop and bought the stuff divers use to keep their masks clear. Back up with a regular anti-fog cloth.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got Bolle inserts which fit in most of their goggles, I use them in a pair of Screams for sunny days and cheap Sharks for snowy days. They were from www.spex4less.com who will sell you just the inserts made up for your prescription for not very much (about £30) but you'll have to ring them, their site is geared up for goggles + inserts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks so much for your help on this and the really great links; much appreciated. The Adidas kit appears to be much more expensive than the Bolle - are there any key benefits to this as I'm willing to spend more if there'll be concrete differences (reading the manufacturer's gumpf is pretty useless!).

RE the fogging problem, did anyone get any coatings applied? @BenMK I get the impression your little trick might work better anyway!

Thanks once again!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tomopope, That supplier is particularly cheap for Bolle inserts which makes the difference seem greater. I've had inserts and prescription sunglasses from them though and been happy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Colin B, great, thanks. Think I better try the two out and see which fits best - might nip into town now and have a look!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BenMk regarding removing lens from Adidas Yodai's:

Yes the lens comes out from the front.

I find the is trick is to pull the flexi frame apart (at the middle - 'around the nose') from top (left hand fingers hold the back of the frame and thumb at the front) and bottom (right hand fingers at back and thumb at the front) to release the lens.

I find it more difficult to put the lens back, ensure both top and bottom click back in.

I don't change lenses on the slopes - I find it takes a few minutes.

With Regards
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks so much for everyone's help on this. I have one last question: what do goggles with the insert look like from the outside? I am not particularly vain but looking like this does worry me: http://www.heavyglare.com/_shared/images/PrescriptionSunglassesHome550_r1_c1.gif

Does anyone have any opinions on this or am I worrying unnecessarily?!

Thanks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomopope, They will look like that, mine do in my yellow lens goggles, although the "frames" aren't anywhere near as heavy as those, but I don't worry about it. I wear them more with mirror lens goggles though when they can't be seen at all.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the Info winterisbest, I think I might get myself a space lens and give it a try!!!

@tomopope yes, it can sometimes look like it does in the photo, but when you've had seasons struggling with seeing and then upgrade to goggles with inserts the you really won't care as the improvement far outweighs the 'look'. In my case one pair has a yellow lens (for fog) so really looks like the ones in the pic, but the other pair has an orange mirrored lens, which almost completely hides the inserts behind. If you do go with adidas ones then I would strongly reccomend this lens as it could almost be considered as a 'universal' lens (I think it was called the LST Trail Silver, although I have a feeling they changed some of their lens names)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great, thanks for everyone's help - I can add that vision3k are excellent - I rung them at 4pm on monday and I had my goggles (in deepest devon) by 10.30am tuesday - free delivery. Outstanding service!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy