Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crud

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
"Although it would be heresy to choose these scraps over smooth powder, there is much to be said for becoming proficient at skiing crud. For one thing, it lasts a lot longer than powder these days. But all sour grapes aside, if you ski it well, crud does have its own cache."

http://www.vaildaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040312/SPORTS/103120002
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To make sure I'm understanding this, is crud simply "second hand" powder or is it the really heavy stuff you get after a few days of melting and freezing.

If the former, then I actually find it easier to ski than the "virgin" powder. I'm sure it's a mental thing, it's as if I know it is actually skiiable if someone else has already done it and I just treat it like a soft mogul.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Showing my ignorance here, but is crud the same as crust (which I hate) ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's a picture: http://rockymountainscenery.com/mammoth/mammoth2.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aaah, so it is the very heavy stuff.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Then there's DEATH COOKIES!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're confused: http://www.skimag.com/skimag/turning_points/article/0,12795,326783,00.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, Yeah, I've stayed at that chalet too. She couldn't make decent tea either.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 12-03-04 17:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DavidS, I really like skiing crud when there's no fresh pow to be found. It really helps me develop my balance and patience...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, so it's normal snow then! The stuff between fresh powder and fresh courdroy which most pistes are 80% of the time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Isn't crud the word used for a snow condition if it isn't perfect powder, groomed or moguls (i.e. everything else)?
Crud is great for the technique and fitness, furthermore bad crud runs are rarely crowded. Shallow crud can be skied with normal (outside leg dominated) skiing but the deeper crud is great practice for powder skiing. Crust is hard work and defeats me, but if it was easy then it wouldn't be as much of a challenge or accomplishment.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 12-03-04 17:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah Dangerous (get some more pics of DangerMouse up-loaded, we want to see if she's starting to look like you), back to the point, there's crust and then there's Skullie CRUST!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing crud IS good for you. I tend to ski lighter/less tracked/deeper stuff just the same as I do virgin powder. As it gets a bit more skied out I tend to GS around. Next it turns into soft bumps - great for trying fall-line bump skiing. On some occasions freeze/thaw or high temperatures can make it crusty or very heavy. Here I tend to use a few jump turns or just use speed and little bumps to skip my skis above the top to initiate a turn. The mix of techniques that you need is part of the fun.

Whenever I find the really grotty stuff near the top of a big off-piste run with few exits I tell myself its character building. There is a certain satisfaction in getting down competently even if you are not exactly elegant...

Cheers,

J
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy