Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just how good a skier do you think you are?

Poster: A snowHead
Nick Zotov wrote:
davidof wrote:
.......Sorry was skiing yesterday so didn't get a chance to reply..........

I can do jealous :evil:

Yes thought I'd better edit my post in the spirit of solidarity.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, It's still too long for my window setting 1024x768. Or don't you care anymore?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I think its safe to say that those lurking in this thread now do not have a clue as to who is standing for what Puzzled
Apparently those contributing haven't the faintest either. wink But as I've just worked everyone agrees with me after all, I'm happy now, and can go and do something useful... Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

PG, It's still too long for my window setting 1024x768. Or don't you care anymore?

EVERYONE HAPPY NOW Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, Thanks. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Errrm.....

Clearly we do agree about a lot, but
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
GrahamN wrote:
Where we both disagree with rob and PG is that reaching the endpoint of a scale implies attainment of some kind of nirvana.

Not only have I not said that, but I don't even think it!

OK I possibly didn't word my criticism well here....rephrasing "Where we both disagree with rob and PG is that they believe putting an endpoint on a scale gives the incorrect impression that reaching it implies attainment of some kind of nirvana - I think this is nonsense". Witness...

rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
slikedges wrote:

3) For the umpteenth time, we know how long the road is!! Laughing

Not if we use the S&R scale!

PG wrote:
2) Anyone who sets up arbitrary maximum targets that could be mistaken for the maximum achievable.
3) ...if most skiers are led to believe gold Ski Club standards to be the epitomy of achievement!

Both of which points I consider plain wrong (I've already said it would clearly cause less of a problem for some if the labels were dispensed with and they stuck with just the colours). We clearly agree on what we may read into any such scale - but not on what other possibly less knowledgable/enlightened readers may think. Is this not verging on elitism? Following the road metaphor, if I get a glow from the challenge of walking 5 miles to that nice pub nestled in the hills, I'm quite clear that walking from Land's End to John'o'Groats is beyond me, and I'm pretty sure that walking to the North Pole is also out - but it makes little difference to me comparing the relative challenges. If I'm a long distance walker the yawning difference becomes a lot more relevant.
I can only echo...
slikedges wrote:
Anyway, why are you so convinced that people who look at scales with arbitrary endpoints believe these are truly the pinnacle of achievement? Why do you think most people are that dumb?

Ray Zorro wrote:
The coloured belts (grades 10th kyu up to 1st kyu) representng the primarily recreational skiers and then the black belts (1st dan upwards) representing those that want to take it further.

I think that makes it pretty clear that 1st kyu (OK so is that brown?) is an endpoint for one scale and 1st dan the start of another. Again I have no quarrel with your principal( Wink ) objection (OK sounds like it's also an objection in principle) about labels - so would you agree that the S&R and SCGB scales would be fine within the target market of the vast majority of holiday skiers if they were just the numbers/colours?

I have no objection whatever to a scale that goes all the way up...and slikedges' compilation is looking good. But as I've said several times over, it's fairly pointless unless a) it's widely known and b) available for independent assessment. Which I why I keep on banging on about the existence of already existing scales. Of course if the snowHead scale became the universal standard by which all (non-competition) skiers were judged..... Wink Given my current principal skiing interest (which clearly leads into another huge danger zone) my personal interested of course is in [d]davidof[/u]'s next installment.

PG wrote:
Quote:
(No comments even about locals assessment of their Parisian friends - serious or otherwise)
Can't see the point to that.

Because you gave an excellent description of the progression and extent of experience achievable for locals, but it would be interesting (and possibly even more relevant to us) to see what the progression is for those non-Brits who have a more similar access to the mountains to us; i.e. I'm trying to take a less parochial view than that from the counter of S&R (or Wimbledon) but sticking within a similar context.

So...parcel handed on from one argumentative pedant to the next.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN wrote:
So...parcel handed on from one argumentative pedant to the next.... Very Happy

I think I'll pass. Although I've read your post several times the only thing I get from it is your desire to disagree with me. I can't actually find any substantive point where we disagree, but perhaps I'm just stupid.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN........
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
I can't actually find any substantive point where we disagree, but perhaps I'm just stupid.

The utility (as opposed to desirability), or danger, of a scale that stops before "the pinnacle of achievement". It may be an academic argument (edit: and one I also am now bored with), but has clearly been getting in the way of sensible information exchange here.

What would have shut me up after about page 2 would have been a post like "I don't particularly like grading scales (for reasons A, B and C if you are particularly interested), and I don't like this one any more than scale that or the other, but the ESF/Arlberg/PSIA (delete as appropriate) grades like [link]this[/link]".

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 20-05-05 11:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, I pretty much agree. I wanted help with a utilitarian scale for skiers of my unexceptional incompetence, but was interested in the perspective of those of unexceptional competence, to help the perfectionist in me create a scale that went to the top. In the end the pragmatist in me is happy with what we've got, largely thanks to davidof, and differences aside, PG's views and info on top-flight skiing and the long path to competitiveness was enlightening.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 20-05-05 11:54; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
I can't actually find any substantive point where we disagree, but perhaps I'm just stupid.

The utility (as opposed to desirability), or danger, of a scale that stops before "the pinnacle of achievement". It may be an academic argument (edit: and one I also am now bored with), but has clearly been getting in the way of sensible information exchange here.

What would have shut me up after about page 2 would have been a post like "I don't particularly like grading scales (for reasons A, B and C if you are particularly interested), and I don't like this one any more than scale that or the other, but the ESF/Arlberg/PSIA (delete as appropriate) grades like [link]this[/link]".

Graham, throughout this thread you have been seeking opinion on possible level descriptors for very good skiers. All I've ever said is that if ability scales are going to be used they should include the kind of information that you are seeking. I fail to see where we disagree.

Unfortunately I'm not a good enough skier to comment on what those levels should say, for which I humbly apologise.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:

Regarding the ski mountaineering grading scheme I mentioned.

I had a quick skim back through this discussion and could not find your words. Could you provide any more details of this grading scheme please? Are there any examples, perhaps naming some routes with their grades.

Grading ski routes appears to be a challenging topic in its own right. It must consider different snow conditions: from deep soft snow, to sastrugi, to spring snow, and many more. Places I have skiied off-piste have been relatively easy on some occasions and extremely intimidating on others - just down to snow conditions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN wrote:

I really doubt it would but we'll never know.

But why the hell should you define what people can and can't talk about and define what they're allowed to post?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All interesting stuff (up to a point). However, anyone joining late should read only after removing belts, shoelaces and leaving sharp objects well away from the computer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
GrahamN recently wrote: What would have shut me up after about page 2 would have been a post like "I don't particularly like grading scales (for reasons A, B and C if you are particularly interested), and I don't like this one any more than scale that or the other, but the ESF/Arlberg/PSIA (delete as appropriate) grades like [link]this[/link]".
Quote:
Despite PG having already confirmed: but as I think that the concept of providing a framework which invariably encourages people to overrate their ability is at fault, it doesn't make a lot of sense to join in with a points scoring system of my own.
Quote:
as well as: I reckon only a professional instructor/coach - with no agenda - would be qualified to draw up a scale with any real meaning.

So WTH? Oh damn, that was on page 2, not after it....
ski holidays
http://www.suicide-helplines.org/index.html
snow report
I feel like Lord Palmerston on the Schleswig-Holstein question:

With respect to the history of Schleswig-Holstein, Lord Palmerston once proclaimed it to be so complicated that only three men had ever fully understood it—one being Prince Albert, who was dead; the second, a professor, who had become insane; the third, Palmerston himself, who had forgotten it.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 20-05-05 12:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DB, would that it were simple, how suicidal are you on the ITV daytime TV standard suicidal scale?

Or where you trying to be funny? How funny was that on the new modified Morecambe and Wise corrected scale?

Or shall I propose I a new scale? I'll assume I'm really witty, so I'd be a 10 out of 10, your posts made me smile and were very funny, so I'll make you a 7 just to maintain the differential. blah blah blather etc etc , it's just filler now, the scale's basically working.
snow report
Since skiing/boarding, by all the posts above, cannot have empirical standards then it must have both subjective and objective standards from the point of the practicioner (Pr) and the observer (Ob)

Level 1:
Pr, . . . . . . . . . . . (fill gap as required) scared
Ob, It’s just a numpty on the baby slopes to be ignored or flattened

Level 2:
Pr, Coooool! . . . snowplow.
Ob, Irritating mobile chicane

Level 3:
Pr, ‘Parallel Turns’, I AM A GOD!
Ob, You’re crap.

Level 4:
Pr, buying a set of carving skis.
Ob, You’re fast, crap and noisy about it.

Level 5:
Pr, Why do I keep falling down?
Ob, You’re fast, crap, loud and off piste.

Level 6:
Pr, I wonder if I should take lessons?
Ob, You’re slower, still crap but quiet.

Level 7:
Pr, Oh, so thaaats why!
Ob, Where’d he go?

Level 8:
Pr, quiet smile
Ob, Who IS that God?

NehNeh
ski holidays
Ah....I was wondering why that argumentative pedant had been missing for so long. I guess you didn't like that malteser then!
ise wrote:

ise, Posts: 2535
GrahamN, Posts: 121
pot....kettle....black... Puzzled

Quote:

But why the hell should you define what people can and can't talk about and define what they're allowed to post?

In what way could my post have possibly been interpreted in such a way? All I said was what I was after, which in no way constrains anyone else's freedom of speech.

rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Graham, throughout this thread you have been seeking opinion on possible level descriptors for very good skiers.
If I've been addressing those matters, it's primarily because of your and PG's objections to the S&R and SCGB scales stopping at the level of recreational skiing. Personally, I'm comfortable with the SCGB scale for myself at present, but davidof's contribution is pointing in the direction I'm starting to head, and so I'm interested. What I've actually been asking for throughout is any experience of equivalence between levels on different scales (witness my posts 1, 2, 3, 1st para of 4, last para of 5, 3rd para of 6, penultimate para of 10). ise's contribution about minimum levels to get on a BASI course was exactly the kind of thing - OK, so also heading towards the upper end.

And my whole point is that I don't expect snowHeads to be a "good enough skier to comment on what those levels should say" and I don't expect snowHeads to "draw up a scale with any real meaning" (but if they wish to...fine and dandy...bit of fun), but am trying to draw on the knowledge of those who have different experiences to me (...the whole point of a discussion forum) OF EXISTING SYSTEMS!

I'm beginning to understand how Paxman felt when Michael Howard was Home Secretary rolling eyes (although I've only asked the same question seven times...now 8.....so far Wink ).

Masque Laughing
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
If I've been addressing those matters, it's primarily because of your and PG's objections to the S&R and SCGB scales stopping at the level of recreational skiing.

I have not once referred to the SCGB scale. Do you think the S&R scale is a fair reflection of achievement and progression in skiing? I was under the impression that we agreed on its limitations.

GrahamN wrote:
Personally, I'm comfortable with the SCGB scale for myself at present, but davidof's contribution is pointing in the direction I'm starting to head, and so I'm interested. What I've actually been asking for throughout is any experience of equivalence between levels on different scales (witness my posts 1, 2, 3, 1st para of 4, last para of 5, 3rd para of 6, penultimate para of 10). ise's contribution about minimum levels to get on a BASI course was exactly the kind of thing - OK, so also heading towards the upper end.

That's just splitting hairs! I don't see why you continue to exaggerate the small (if any) differences between what we have said Confused
latest report
Will this thread be available in Hardback or perhaps paperback in a handy pocket reference size Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Will this thread be available in Hardback or perhaps paperback in a handy pocket reference size Puzzled Puzzled

I heard Speilberg was after the movie rights...
snow conditions
Aren't you boredsurfin yet?
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, I think it's only fair that you let me in on any deal. Little Angel
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

More like Anthony Minghella, he did the English Patient I think? That went round and round in circles for days.
snow conditions
The venerable indeed hallowed Slush and Rubble Ability Level Indicator has been denounced and lambasted in another thread. There is a clear and present need for a scale to end all scales, for a grand unifying scale of recreational skiing ability. But why stop there? Personally that would be the limit of my insight but we have here of incontrovertible ability, who could enlighten the rest of us (don't be shy, it's all good).

So can we, as the most broad-minded, open-armed and hip width-legged ski forum in town, do better than S&R. Can we produce a rational, honest but more importantly useful and representative ladder of ability?

The challenge is made
ski holidays
ise wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

More like Anthony Minghella, he did the English Patient I think? That went round and round in circles for days.

But at least he had Kristen Scott Thomas looking rather delightful. Who have we got to relieve the endless bloody tedium?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The venerable indeed hallowed Slush and Rubble Ability Level Indicator has been denounced and lambasted in another thread. There is a clear and present need for a scale to end all scales, for a grand unifying scale of recreational skiing ability.

If that clear and present need was presented cogently in anything above I missed it.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, That seems strangely familiar...
Ho-hum, not something that interests me though.
latest report
ise wrote:
The venerable indeed hallowed Slush and Rubble Ability Level Indicator has been denounced and lambasted in another thread. There is a clear and present need for a scale to end all scales, for a grand unifying scale of recreational skiing ability.

If that clear and present need was presented cogently in anything above I missed it.

I really did like Kramer's effort.

I think we need a catchy scale.

A scale of achievement, not skill.

A cumulative one.

So. I propose 'The Twelve Days of Skiing".

1 And a wallet full of monies
2. Two intact knees
And a wallet full of monies
7. Seven trees avoided
8. Eight mogul turns
Seven trees avoided

Help me out here.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, fine...comment withdrawn re SCGB scale as it refers to yourself. Also agree that S&R scale is very compressed towards the top end, so it's not the be all and end all. But whether we agree or disagree on whether the gradations within in it are sensible, that is irrelevant - if we do disagree (and I don't know that either) I've agreed to disagree about it..and I don't see why you are still trying to argue about it. As I said above
Quote:
It may be an academic argument (edit: and one I also am now bored with), but has clearly been getting in the way of sensible information exchange here.

...and still is despite my desperately trying to move on.

(I think we can safely assume that this argument is not the 5 minute taster but is the full half hour Very Happy )

However, as my main objections to it's sole use are, a) self-assessment and b) as easiski said earlier...who in (e.g.) France gives a fig what it says I keep on repeating my interest in what other scales exist and what equivalences exist between them. Why is this question so hard to understand?

(9...how many did Paxo get up to?)
latest report
comprex, last one could be
12. Twelve FIS points
snow report
Ray Zorro, I considered 12. Twelve months of BASI
meaning study of course. Yours is clearer.

In the interest of scansion:
12. Twelve racing points
Eleven months of BASI
. .
4. Four forums joined
Three mates sprayed
Two intact knees
And a wallet full of monies

?
snow conditions
I was thinking of '5 weeks abroad' but then we'd have to change the intro to 'On the true scale of skiing I really did achieve'
ski holidays
comprex,

others could be
x feet of powder
y feet of air
ski holidays
and a boarder in a fir tree. Twisted Evil
latest report
laundryman, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
... I don't see why you are still trying to argue about it ...

For the principal reason that you were assigning arguments to me that I neither made nor support! As a secondary point I was trying to find some common ground between us, but you seemed to prefer reinforcing some pretty minor (or non-existent) differences. Perhaps we should stop this nonsense?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 20-05-05 15:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:
Ah....I was wondering why that argumentative pedant had been missing for so long. I guess you didn't like that malteser then!
ise wrote:

ise, Posts: 2535
GrahamN, Posts: 121
pot....kettle....black... Puzzled

And what percentage of your posts since joining in Dec are in this thread?

GrahamN wrote:

Quote:

In what way could my post have possibly been interpreted in such a way? All I said was what I was after, which in no way constrains anyone else's freedom of speech.

Yes, I really think you don't see it at all, you harangue anyone that doesn't engage in a sterile and pointless discussion on exactly your terms and offer gratuitous insults to anyone who disagrees with you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy