Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Equipment Reviews - A Call to Arms

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Oh well , I failed to get my points across. Never mind. This was meant to be a set of opinions on skis not a learned review.

Sorry I confusedslikedges, stuarth, comprex, and others.

I should have clearly stated all the relevant details at the beginning of the first post. To set the record straight.
Age : 50 (at the time), Male, 1st Year, Ht 1.80, Wt 77-81 Kg, 46 days (just added up) experience and c 70-ish hours private tuition. S& R level 6 ...

I'm afraid I can not explain conditions other than it was Spring ..... and ranged between icy (in the morning) and slushy on the lower slopes in the afternoon. It would be inappropriate for me to use other terms I have ' seen like 'windblown'/'crud'/'marbles'/'hardpack'/'Wet Powder' etc. I may have skied them but do not know precisely to what conditions they refer. Each ski was used for at least 1-day ( apart from the M9) on all pistes from Blue to Black ... and in the limited (foot deep on occasion) powder off piste. No moguls as I dislike them !

'Style' and I are seldom used in the same sentence - and definitely not when alluding to fashion or BB content! Yes , it was badly written and PG, is correct to warn of the dangers of believinglet alone acting upon any content written by non-experts here. Only defense it that it was 'honest' opinion/rubbish. I have changed my tagline. No more inappropriate than others ( who have not posted here) who respond to questions in order to further commercial interest when that interest is not clear?

slikedges, stuarth, maggi, M80euf, ise, Those are my feelings about the S & R scale and I share a healthy scepticsm ( Ok, I am a cynical old git!) on manufacturer's product ranges. Surely any real scale should be linear and it obvious to me that I should only be a 2 or 3 on any true scale looking at other skiers and watching a couple of races .. The S& R scale between 1 - 7 looks like a 'Beginner' scale to me. I describe myself as an Advanced Beginner ---
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eEvans, i pretty much share your views on reviews. i just think we need a way of knowing the level/demographics of the reviewer or, believe me, the review will be next to useless. i mean, even skiers of similar weight and level can completely disagree on a ski as it just doesnt suit. rolling eyes

BTW see the daughter thread I spawned.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, I think we just need more reviews. Those reviews need to be lightweight though, the danger is this turns into EpicSki where reviews are a combination of bewildering, pointless technical jargon and nonsense and gung-ho rubbish about the terrain. If we had less of this, and not just in the context of skis, then we might have more regular contributors and a little more diversity.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ise, couldn't agree more snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise, slikedges consider that archive searchers may not even see who is posting a review, not being members. I don't ask for jargon or gung-ho rubbish, merely items like: spring snow, long turns on red pistes & size of skier. Is that not reasonable?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes. A balance. No relating of exploits. No descriptive scene setting. It's got to be succinct to be useful.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eEvans wrote:

I believe that it is not only 'experts' who can advise on the suitability of equipment

I never understand what the experts are saying (but that is maybe my problem) when you see reviews like:

When you crank the sweet spot these babes can button the zipper like like a rocket sledge on rails

well, I was lost on the third word.

What interests me in a pair of skis is:

1. are the bases and edges solid and capable of some abuse
2. do they cost around or preferably under 300 euros
3. do they turn quickly for my skiing level
4. do they weigh under 3kgs
5. do they grip on ice like a leech on a blood donor
6. do they look naff so no-one will nick them - for preference they should have some logo like LIDL or MIGROS even if they are made by Boheme
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:

When you crank the sweet spot these babes can button the zipper like like a rocket sledge on rails

well, I was lost on the third word.

What interests me in a pair of skis is:

1. are the bases and edges solid and capable of some abuse
2. do they cost around or preferably under 300 euros
3. do they turn quickly for my skiing level
4. do they weigh under 3kgs
5. do they grip on ice like a leech on a blood donor
6. do they look naff so no-one will nick them - for preference they should have some logo like LIDL or MIGROS even if they are made by Boheme

Seems like a very credible list to me ( and I love the expert quote)....

Simple questions , I hope.

1) How do you judge whether bases and edges are 'solid' ?
5) Yes , probably my number 1 point/fear but ice only around towards end of the season (????????) so hire skis may be tired or some skis sold out ?
6) Very Happy Very Happy So which ones fit that description best ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, Laughing Laughing

I'm trying to get Lidl in BSM to sponsor the club at the moment. If I can get some stickers I'll post you a couple!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My questions used to be:

1) Are they Salomon?
2) Have I just broken my old skis?
3) Are they a fashionable pink colour?

But thanks to snowheads they are:

1) How am I going to pretend these arnt Salomons if I get to the next EOSB?
2) and 3) unchanged... Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="eEvans"]
davidof wrote:

6) :D :D So which ones fit that description best ?

1) well a >1mm edge is nice. Something like P-Tex 4001 bases. Oh and wait until the skis are out for a season, you don't want something like the Nobert Joos skis that looks tickity-boo but has edges and bases that delaminate after a week or two.

Buy at the end of season when you can pick them up cheap and you have a full year of feedback.

On piste I'm still skiing my circa 2000 Dynastar 4x4s which are an ok ski if it is not too icy. As for a new ski I like Atomics but apart from the 9.22 which is a great ski and can be had for less than 300 euros (200 quid?) in the sales they are very expensive. The Bro Model would be tempting and is around the right price at $550.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mark Lehto wrote:
1) How am I going to pretend these arnt Salomons if I get to the next EOSB?
2) and 3) unchanged... Very Happy

Ski of choice for the EOSB looked to be B2's to me, so much so we should brand them for snowheads Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eEvans wrote:

Warning - non-expert answer coming up!! wink

I'd say that the construction has a lot to do with it.
My Volkls are a wonder of German engineering, as someone I skied with said - "they are made of Tiger tanks!" They have a really thick P-tex base and really fat, well attached edges.

To try and test whether this was true I decided to take a huge leap into the unknown - unfortunately the landing of the unknown was a lightly covered pointy rock which become one with my ski Sad I was expecting a core shot (big hole in the base material ripped through to the core material), and some detached edge, however I was pleased to see only a big gouge (easily filled and flattened with a base grind) and all edges intact after a friend was kind enough to return it to me. Smile These are truly solid skis - I think if I'd done the same on my 1080s (which I have previously core shotted and ripped out an edge) The rock would have come through the topsheet! (graphics on top)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 17-05-05 16:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stuarth wrote:
eEvans wrote:

Warning - non-expert answer coming up!!

I'd say that the construction has a lot to do with it.
My Volkls are a wonder of German engineering, as someone I skied with said - "they are made of Tiger tanks!" They have a really thick P-tex base and really fat, well attached edges.

Just goes to show how it varies through the range though, my 5*'s have a wafer thin base.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy