Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For everyone driving to the French Alps this winter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
marcellus, Yes, I guess if the autoroute was empty then it can be done. Traffic, of course, makes a BIG difference as you're continuously speeding up and slowing down. I couldn't drive 6 hours without stopping to eat and drink though - I normally do something like 3 lots of 2.5 hours with two one hour breaks (in France).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I normally do something like 3 lots of 2.5 hours with two one hour breaks (in France).

That's much safer. I do four lots of 2 hours with 20 - 30 minute breaks (just loo, coffee, diesel if necessary) or a longer one to eat. But we try to have sandwiches and fruit in the car - to save both time and money.

I also try hard to stick to speed limit which is 81 mph. It creeps up now and then - I don't have cruise control - but I think aiming to cruise at 90 is pushing your luck.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marcellus,
Quote:

Drove through 3 manned speed traps and iirc 5 cameras too.
.......hardly the crime of the century to cruise at 90

pam w,
Quote:

I think aiming to cruise at 90 is pushing your luck.

I was thinking that as well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As I said.. empty Friday roads.... 1st (and only stop) was at the 3hour mark for fuel, loo and to grab sandwiches, chocolate bars & drinks, 2nd stop was at the Chunnell.

I was on a mission, I'd been away working all week and was hoping to get home on Friday night so that I had the weekend, I was booked on the lunchtime saturday crossing and was prepared to stop at any time should I get tired or it become obvious that I wasn't going to be able to get to Calais, cross and then upto Northampton at a reasonable time.

And yes 90 was probably pushing it, but as I said..... 3manned speed traps passed and not one of them blinked as I went past... mind you I did hit the cancel button for each when I saw them but as we all know they'd probably got my speed by then but still they didn't worry.

I guess it's all about driving appropriate to the conditions which were; no traffic, sunny day, dry roads, excellent visibility and only c10% above the speed limit.... plus good awareness.... being able to spot a trap and react to it means that you're not in a day dream and are very focussed on what you're doing all of which adds up to the police thinking you're a relatively low priority........................ I guess they wait for "better pickings".. I wasn't the fastest on the road that I saw and I there were cars there that were probably less able/safe at the posted speed limit than I was a smidge over (things like an old battered rusty Renault Clio suddenly pulling out and then driving too close/too fast on my way out of Troyes)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
P10DW, I think the new road passes very close to a new Leclerc superstore with cheap petrol 24/7.

http://www.e-leclerc.com/st-brice-courcelles/votre+magasin/infos+pratiques/default.asp
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If your speed is reading 90 then you're probably doing about 85, you can check it with a GPS but most cars overestimate their speed slightly.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TotallyBoard, gps 90 mate.. so pretty accurate.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marcellus, I am thinking of driving down to the alps in Jan, have you ever headed round to Tignes from Northants?
I have looked at various routes and it looks as though heading straight down to Lyon and then across to BsM would be the fastest. Would probably leave Northants at around 4am and hope to arrive in resort at around 5-6pm on a Saturday. Does this seem probable?

Cheers
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
northantsred, 9 hrs from Calais, with 2 15min stops, via Bourg en Bresse, I do it 3-4 times a year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
northantsred, I have done the trip quite a few times, your route is OK straight down to Lyon, then to BSM. However I think you will be pushing it to get there for 5 - 6pm on a Sat evening due to the traffic. I would aim to arrive 9pm at best.

Or do what lots of others do and drive over night Friday, arriving early Sat morning in Tignes Very Happy extra day skiing this way.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski wrote:
...Or do what lots of others do and drive over night Friday, arriving early Sat morning in Tignes Very Happy extra day skiing this way...

That's what I do except have a hotel booked south of Lyon, doesn't really matter what time we get there, still get a few hours kip before leaving in the morning for BSM.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If your speed is reading 90 then you're probably doing about 85, you can check it with a GPS but most cars overestimate their speed slightly.

I checked mine yesterday - speedo and GPS agree.

I'd agree with Fogliettaz - Bourg en Bresse rather than Lyon, especially on a Saturday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
genepi wrote:
P10DW, I think the new road passes very close to a new Leclerc superstore with cheap petrol 24/7.

That one isn't new, it has been there for as long as I can remember.

It is still in between the toll stations though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just can't do the early morning starts! We cross England on Friday (4 hours), [just] catch tunnel early evening, drive for 3 hours. On Saturday we get up and on way by 10.00 drive with only fuel /loo stop and then leisurely stop for supplies in Moutiers. Sat nav will then avoiding BSM. We climb the mountain for 7.00pm arrival.

Pre prepared meal from Moutiers supermarket in the oven whilst we unload the car ......... then we are home for the week! (daughter's room messy by 10.00pm.)

Sunday morning first lift, sunday afternoon last lift ... etc!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy