Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best snow tyres..........

Poster: A snowHead
I thought I'd drop this in as it's only been covered two hundred times before. Does anyone have any recommendations? By the way, I'll be travelling by rail.......if SNCF can get their butts into gear!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do trains have snow tyres then.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roller blade
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ooh a bit of trolling.....anyway snow tyres are illegal in France, so there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lidl do the best snow tyres. Aldi, a bit less grippy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't bother with snow tyres. Get yourself a set of Autosox. Work just as good as snow tyres and cheaper, only downside is you can't go any faster than 70kph in the summer months if you go to Spain wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From talking to a friend last night I don't think it matters which are best, the Germans seem to have bought all of them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you get a discount at the Telepeage if your train has snow socks on?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
From talking to a friend last night I don't think it matters which are best, the Germans seem to have bought all of them.
but we've got all the headlight beam deflectors.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are chains more effective than studded tyres? What sort of research has been done? Can anyone advise on the type of metal used in snowchains?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Do you get a discount at the Telepeage if your train has snow socks on?

Only with a Peage Doofer
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's better to have Tyres made of Rubber, rather than Snow, especially in temperatures above 0c.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I 've got a set of 4 Nokian winter tyres on a spare set of original alloys all set to go on my VW some time soon. I bought them from mytyres a couple of months ago and paid about
£70 each but if I had bought them when I first looked into it in early summer, I think the price then was about £59.

Bearing in mind that they are 205/55/16 I suppose the price is not too bad.

Before I bought them, I did the usual trawl through Google and they seem to get good reviews and as they are manufactured in Finland, you would think that they should work well !

All we need now is a nice big dump of snow to find out snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine have crushed walnuts in them
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do crushed nuts help you ski better?
snow conditions
Remember, you need to carry a helmet and hi-vis jacket (helmet does not need to be hi-vis, but wouldn't hurt) for each tyre!
snow conditions
Monty Python's Graham Chapman would have said, "This Sketch is getting Too silly" Toofy Grin
snow report
To mount chains (ooh err mrs) Helmets Safety Boots Hi Viz Gloves and safety goggles must all be worn.
Does the same apply to socks?
snow report
Could anyone give me some data as to the effect winter tyres/snow chains have on fuel economy please? I am looking to write a PhD on this and need to put together a proposal.
snow report
kevin mcclean,

The way to work out the impact of snow chains on fuel economy is to use Balls Law

Which is

The angle of dangle is proportionate to the lust of the thrust, providing the urge is constant. Using X + Y as the constants!!!!

Also anyone who uses snow tyres is a big scaredy cat. I have been driving to the Alps since Austin Allegro's were fasionable, we never had snow tyres then!!
snow report
Timbobaggins, that's right, square steering wheel, crossply tyres, no ABS, no ASC, no airbags, no head restraints, no seatbelts, just a nice pointy steering column to cushion the inevitable and an 8-track of Showwaddywaddy. But did we needlessly die in our thousands?... err, yes.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Timbobaggins, that's right, square steering wheel, crossply tyres, no ABS, no ASC, no airbags, no head restraints, no seatbelts, just a nice pointy steering column to cushion the inevitable and an 8-track of Showwaddywaddy. But did we needlessly die in our thousands?... err, yes.

err,nope.
Coz i had a Lime Green one P reg. 1976. It never killed me, though i wanted to kill it. Used to use more oil than petrol, i swear it was a British Leyland secret two stroke design.
snow conditions
Q. Why do Austin Allegros have heated rear windows?
A. Handwarmers for the people pushing...
Mine was beige. M Reg. I ended up giving it away - it wouldn't have felt right taking money for it. Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy