Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does my 1 year old need a buggy in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Advice needed please. I'm taking my 1 year old to Meribel in January with Esprit. He's not walking yet and is unlikely to be doing so confidently by January. I can see the benefit of a push-chair/buggy at the airport but I'm unsure of its usefulness in Meribel. Having only been to Val Thorens without ankle-bitters, I'm thinking that the buggy is going to be more of a hindrance than help.

Plus any other tips for travelling and staying in Meribel with the boy would be appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When i'm traveling with my 11 month old i take her baby back pack. Very handy, she loves being high up, it frees both of my hands should i need to steady myself, fits in over head locker and has a compartment for milk, naps etc. I got mine from NZ but you can get similar here.

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Packs_&_Luggage/Child_Carriers/40342/Karinjo_Child_Carrier.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you do end up taking your buggy, there's a company that make small skis that double up as skis that clip on the front wheels of your buggy making it easy to push on snow... there were a few sets on ebay last week, but i missed out on them.

made my a company called SEED i think.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My youngest was a similar age when we went to Les Gets last year. We took her buggy and it doubled up as a trolley for carrying the families skis and boots. I took lots of straps and clips to secure everything and a small padlock and chain to secure it outside shops and restaurants. When the snow was deep it was easier to pull rather than push.
We were self catering though so left the chalet more than if we had been catered.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is what you need Wink

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2725/4276341588_6bb8951aba_z.jpg?zz=1

or something like this

http://www.jako-o.de/shop/-/group/1524/product/22736/Produktdetail.productdetail.0.html?refCode=9546&ns_campaign=portal_froogle&ns_mchannel=preisportale&ns_source=froogle&ns_fee=1

Rucksack could be dangerous if you slip backwards and fall on top of the little one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, only if you buy the cheap ones. get one with a good protective frame. I've seen a runaway buggy when the user slipped, fell and let go of the buggy.

Horses for courses i guess.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I found a proper baby back pack the answer. Keeps your hands free as well. Definitely need to wear your helmet though NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get a little sledge.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dot. wrote:
DB, only if you buy the cheap ones. get one with a good protective frame. I've seen a runaway buggy when the user slipped, fell and let go of the buggy.

Horses for courses i guess.

I have a Vaude Butterfly child ruksack http://www.bergsteiger-channel.de/Bilder/Material/Kindertragen/vaude-butterfly.jpg which is great but doubt the childs head / neck (whiplash) is that well projected from a quick hard fall on ice.

Safety strap attached between the wrist and the buggy is probably not a bad idea as is some sort of ice gripper sole when carrying child in a backpack or pushing a buggy. http://www.blacktoe.co.uk/ice%20Grips/ice%20grips.htm

Some parents ski with the children in a backpack, can't see that being safe or very comfortable (warm) for the child. Some would probably ski with the pram if they could get away with it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
if you take the buggy the esprit girls will sometime use it to take your little one out
if you dont it will go in anything they have a round

i know what my preference is/was
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have skied with my youngest in a backpack, but that was a long time ago. We all know have some control over your own actions but none over other skiers! Having said that the closest I came to an accident was when I slipped climbing over rocks at the beach.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sideways_Jnr is off to Courchevel for his first birthday in a few weeks, and we'll be taking the baby backpack. Who knows, I may convince Always29 to let me take him into the park for some aerial action. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It depends a lot on the snow situation. On a very snowy pavement a buggy - especially with small wheels - will be a pain. You can always hire suitable vehicles in resort - it it's snowy a little sledge type pushchair is perfect, but not if dragged over dry pavements - where the buggy is perfect!

I think I'd take the buggy as it makes airports infinitely easier, especially if the baby wants to sleep. But be prepared for it to be useless in resort if (as you hope) there's loads of snow. I am a fan of baby packpacks but would be a bit nervous on a slippery pavement (and wouldn't ski in one unless lives depended on it!). I always use the wrist strap on the buggy on steep hills.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Def need to take a buggy ( cheap one ) , we even take a buggy for my 2.5 y old.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For me this is easy.

1. Buggy for airport and non snow-bound resport.
2. Hire or buy a sledge for draggin littlun around the resort (see between bars and restaurants).

Now this is tempered with 'What will you be doing?' Will one of you be skiing while the other manages infant, or will infant be in child care. If it is the latter then it is their responsability, unless they specifically say you need to bring a buggy but in my experience the infants are usually carried or dragged about.

If it is the former then pushing a small wheeled buggy around even midly snow bound paths is hard work and with a sledge you can drag them easily everywhere (make sure they have a restraining strap and don't get adventurous on steeper slopes - I talk from experience) this can then easily be picked up when getting on a bus or lift and then deployed at the other end.

However Prams and pushchairs are also good if littlun sleeps well as I've on a couple of occasions walked up from 1850 to the altiport to meet family for a nice lunch and the baby enjoyed the walk up (if I didn't) and then slept on the way down.

Andy
latest report
We will be taking our pushchair our youngest will be 15 months and at the rate she is going won't be walking. We took one when we went to le grand bornand when my eldest was 16 months and it was very useful around the town.
snow report
Definitely take your buggy for use at the airport, may be needed for sleeping especially if you are delayed. If your buggy is no good in resort you can always borrow one of the Esprit ones, they will have a job lot of all terrain ones. Or if it is really snowy under foot you can borrow/buy a baby sledge, they have ones with moulded seats and little seat belts. Oh and hux, welcome to snowHead s!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy