Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skischool for children who've never skied before - 2hrs or 4hrs per day? Group or individual?

Poster: A snowHead
I want my kids (aged 6 & 9) to get the best out of their first ski trip this Christmas.

We're booking skischool for 9 - 11 every morning (we're only 50 metres from the meeting point), but I am wondering if it would be sense to book afternoon lessons too.

My worries are that they can only do afternoons from 2:30 - 4:30 or 3 - 5: I reckon by then they will be knackered, and it could well be brass monkey weather on the slopes, particularly in December: which will mean they won't enjoy it at all.

I know that all children are different; ours are pretty fit (we cycled 15 miles at the weekend), but skiing does take it out of you! Has anyone got any experiences that they could pass on? It's another 100 euros to take the afternoons as well: for the same money, we could book them 2 personal lessons at lunchtime instead.

Whilst I've got your attention wink, would they get more from the group (max 8 children) lessons, or would I be better booking them all their lessons as a pair? The cost is actually not that much more to have 5 x 1 hour as a pair, rather than 6 x 2 hours in a group...but I quite like the idea of them being in a group.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Nuck.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
my tuppence worth, book them in for group lessons in the morning then get them to "show off" what they've learnt with you in the afternoon until tiredness/weather intervenes. you'll still be able to add the afternoon lessons mid-week if they are enjoying it so much that they want to carry on.

enjoy it while you can, they'll be far better than you soon Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gilo wrote:
my tuppence worth, book them in for group lessons in the morning then get them to "show off" what they've learnt with you in the afternoon until tiredness/weather intervenes. you'll still be able to add the afternoon lessons mid-week if they are enjoying it so much that they want to carry on.

Good advice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nuck_the_king, Dont forget that ski school might put them in different age group classes depending on the number who are learning.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just have the lessons in the morning! Ask the instructor where they skied that morning and ask the kids to show you what they did in the afternoon. They'll be pleased as punch to show you the slopes they took on that morning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nuck_the_king, my boys skied in two hour lessons in the morning (this was in France), we met them for lunch and then 'practised' all together. It was a different kind of ski holiday for us - we were used to skiing from early until late, with a just a couple of short breaks - but it was brilliant Very Happy They loved being able to show off, and we loved all being together and having the experience to chat and laugh about.

For the second part of your question, our first 'family' ski holiday was in a small, very French resort and group lessons would have been a waste of time (all French children and ours only had a smattering of the language) so we put them in private lessons but together. This worked very well for us all, and they learnt immeasurably more than if they had been in a group (this was ESF by the way).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nuck_the_king, I agree with the posts above - it will mean a lot more to the kids if they can share their (probably pretty fast) progress with you. And if they're tired, or a bit bored, or the weather is completely horrible (not unusual at christmas, and it gets dark early) do other stuff.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another thought. In France, the morning or afternoon lessons are alternatives - so they'd be doing the same things in the afternoon, but with different kids. I suspect that might not work too well - the dynamics of the group through the week can be quite important.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Morning only IMO. En famille in the afternoon.
At Xmas it is cold after the sun drops behind the mountains about 2.30/3.00pm the kids can get tired and cold and you can undo all that confidence they have gained in the morning lessons. Lots of hot choc breaks and a bit of tobogganing or snow fun can be fitted in as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You dont mention where are you going Nuck_the_king,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lessons AM - Family fun PM snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nuck_the_king, Definately Lessons AM - Family PM
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with the others here, morning is plenty for lessons, then familly practice in afternoon if they're up for it. (That might be limited for the first couple of days while they master the basics.) Keep it easy in the afternoons though and close to home for when the cold/tiredness sets in. Depends on the children, but trying too much, too soon, can knock confidence (even though they think they can do it to start with!). Being confident to carry them down if they've had enough helps, but you 9 year old might be on the big side for that!

Try and ensure they are in group of english speakers with an instructor who speaks good English (unless they have language skills of course). Have seen my son alienated by ESF before by being in the minority of an English/French group with an instructor who spent most of the time teaching in French, then getting cross because my son didn't understand.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes great advice. We took our kids on a similar Christmas trip to what it sounds like you are trying to do. It was their first time skiing and they went to their classes with instructors in the morning and during the afternoon showed us what they learned. This gave us plenty of time to enjoy our own skiing in the mornings and then share our skiing experiences together in the afternoon. It was the best of both worlds for sure.
Burton snowboards

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 19-11-10 22:40; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not sure who you are going with ( company that is) - last few time we have been with esprit
we arranged to collect kids and had alternate dads/mums after noons
that means the mums or dads went off in groups and did a bit of sking with the other
half of the pairing taking the kids for show off sessions, buboarding, snowballfights
etc

even if you can only arrange if for 2 days in the week it can be excellent fun
ski holidays
Thanks to one and all for your extremely helpful replies. As suggested by all of you, we will use the afternoons for family stuff.

We are going to Aussois, and, after all your advice, I have booked a moniteur for 2 hours every morning just for the 4 of us.

The idea is that he will teach the kids and Mrs Nuck for the first 90 mins (probably with me there too, in case I have forgotten anything..); then he and I will go off for 1/2 an hour to practice slightly more advanced stuff.

I've gone with an independent school (but included in the Aussois website) and they're going to charge 35 euros per hour - so if we have five 2-hr lessons, 350 euros actually works out just slightly cheaper than all of us in groups of 8 with Ecole du Ski.

Hopefully this will work out. Thanks once again for all of your help.

Nuck.
snow report
Nuck_the_king wrote:
Thanks to one and all for your extremely helpful replies. As suggested by all of you, we will use the afternoons for family stuff.

We are going to Aussois, and, after all your advice, I have booked a moniteur for 2 hours every morning just for the 4 of us.

The idea is that he will teach the kids and Mrs Nuck for the first 90 mins (probably with me there too, in case I have forgotten anything..); then he and I will go off for 1/2 an hour to practice slightly more advanced stuff.

I've gone with an independent school (but included in the Aussois website) and they're going to charge 35 euros per hour - so if we have five 2-hr lessons, 350 euros actually works out just slightly cheaper than all of us in groups of 8 with Ecole du Ski.

Hopefully this will work out. Thanks once again for all of your help.

Nuck.
Nuck_the_king,

Nuck,

I have just booked up our first family snow ski trip and heading for Aussois based on your excellent write ups and I suspect very similar family requirements and expectations. I have booked the Goelia apartment, Eurotunnel, stopover hotel at Reims for out and back, ski passes and equipment hire & travel insurance. The last thing for me are the ski lessons. Really enjoyed delving through your experiences in your posts and a chance to give a ski trip a go without the horrendous prices my friends seem to pay in mainstream French ski resorts has pushed us into taking the plunge !

I like the idea of private family lessons to cover my 13 & 11 yrs olds, the wife & me. Would you be able to recommend the instructor you used and any contact info please ?

Our school hols start on the 23rd March in 2012 so we are heading out then before many of the UK schools break up so hopefully there will be some availability of instructors for private lessons before it gets too busy ?

Kids have had around 6 or 7 weeks of 'sno!Camp" at the indoor snowdome in Milton Keynes during various school hols over the last 2 years - basically mornings on the slopes with instruction. My wife skied for a couple of week trips maybe 20 or 25 years ago and I managed a 4 day ski trip around 15 years ago while on business in Canada so a real mixed bunch of abilities I guess but would like to learn and fall together if possible and not be split up even if it means a slower pace overall !

Kind regards

Dave
snow report
Dave,

Have a great time. have responded to your PM.

Nuck.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy