Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort with long and cool tobogganing areas for the kids and me!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello
I want to find some ski areas which are good for beginners/intermediates but also have really great tobogganing areas for the kids. They love their skiing but we have heard you can go to some resorts which have really long tobogganing runs which you need to use a tow to get up to some are around 5km long - but I don't know where they are - anyone seen them or can give me a clue where to look?
We have a motorhome so it must be in Europe as our budget will not stretch to getting over to USA/Canada etc.
Thanks
Viks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austria usually I think. I would do a surf on toboggan runs/Austria if I were you. We are off to Obergurgl and there is one in the next resort of Hochgurgl.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiwelt (Austria) have some with floodlit tobogganing, so it needn't infiltrate skiing time!

Soll and Ellmau/Going both have long runs. Although when we were there there wasn't enough snow for the Ellmau/Going run to be open.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
viks10, Laax/Flims in Switzerland has some long toboggan only routes. Put the toboggan on the chairlift to get it up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
viks10, Val Thorens has a huge long one you do (in the day I suppose) using ski lifts. I've been up the relevant lift and noted it with interest, but not used it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
La Tzoumas (Verbier) has Western Switzerland's longest toboggan run.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/home/wintervacation/adventure-sports-winter/tobboganing/la-tzoumaz-western-switzerland-s-longest-toboggan-run.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
viks10, Saas Fee in Switzerland has one whole hill just for sledging and walking, the Hannig, apparently 6km sledging trail. You can also go over to Saas Almagell on the bus or you could walk/sledge part of the way and take the lift up to sledge back down, and also at Saas Grund too. We have done this walking and by 'monster trotti' i.e. scooters in the summer. Saas Fee also has a year round toboggan on a track which is superb fun the 'Feeblitz'. IIRC there is a caravan park on the outskirts of the village too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Guys
There seems to be loads in Austria and Switzerland, I really fancy the one which is 10km long! now I have to work out where there is a good concentration of them with good beginners areas and campsite and ease of access......I am supposed to be working!
Viks
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The St Moritz Tobboganing club should fit the bill nicely...... Twisted Evil
http://www.cresta-run.com/html/test_mov.html

http://www.cresta-run.com/default.cfm
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, must put that on the list..............
vx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
viks10, In Radstadt just near us is an excellent camp site for motorhomes...
radstadt also has one of the longest floodlit runs at over 7km. This is also open in the day time.
On the same mountain but on the Altenmarkt side there is another toboggan run which is open day and night.
There are also plenty more places locally which offer both skiing and rhodel within Ski Amadé...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
viks10, The one in Oberlech is fantastic fun, albeit only 1.6km long. Open till 10 at night you just get the cable car back up till you/the kids are knackered. Was in Kappl this year and theirs is 7km long but IMO not as much fun as the one in Oberlech (which even has its own mini piste basher and snow cannons)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 15-11-10 15:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schladming, Austria - this place has a stunning 7km tobbogan run and the skiing/riding there is immense for intermediates with 4 linked mountains. Fly in to salzburg and take the train, its a beautiful hour long trip through the mountains

Edit - oops, sorry, missed the whole motorhome thing. Maybe take the train next time! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
viks10, Another shout for Austria and the Skiwelt area. Take your pick of the towns /villages. I think Westendorf has a motorhome park.

If you're mobile you can probably visit several. Incidentally Westendorfs beginner area is very close to the centre of town. Google the area for info but IIRC you can sledge "top to bottom" on one of the runs served by gondola.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
viks10, tobogganing is definitely one of the most fun winter activities, especially in a group, also one of the most dangerous with overtaking manoeuvres, banked turns and the potential for collisions.
I've had great fun on the 5 km toboggan run through the Rasciesa forest above Ortisei in Val Gardena, also been on the long one at Val Thorens accessed by the Peclet gondola.
latest report
viks10, How old are your kids?

Some of the toboggan runs really aren't suitable for smallish children, certainly not without an adult on teh toboggan with them.

And as Luigi says, tobogganing is also one of the more risky activities. I've done it on a ski trip, and really enjoyed it (at Schladming), and would do it again, but you should just be aware that you are at least as likely to hurt yourself as you are when skiing - probably more likely on a per-run basis.
ski holidays
Murren, Switzerland, but be careful! whilst great fun tobogganning can also be very dangerous! there is a great campsite at Lauterbrunnen which is at the foot of the mountain.

Bro in law crashed into a wooden post 2 year back, one leg each side, I'll spare you all the details but it put him in hospital at Interlaken for most of the holiday, cost the insurance a fortune for helicopter, operation & flight back!
rolling eyes
ski holidays
viks10,

Val Thorens' adverts state that their toboggan run takes 45 minutes to descend, so it may well fit your "long and cool" criteria. wink
ski holidays
There is a 5km tobbogan run just outside La Villa in the Dolomites, off the top of the Prolongia. Cable car up, serious face-splitting grin on way down Toofy Grin . Made my 70years plus in-laws smile for days after doing it on a Christmas Day a few years ago. Some great cruisy reds and blues up on the plateau - less crowded than the Selle Ronda routes through Covara and Arabba nearby. Making me smile thinking about it too Madeye-Smiley
latest report
The First region in Grindelwald, Switzerland has a log toboggan run, claimed to be the longest in the world (at least they claimed that on last season's piste map) at 15km. The whole region has a lot of toboggan tracks, has amazing scenery and is great for skiing too! If you've got a motorhome, there's a good place you can go in Stechelberg, in the Lauterbrunnen valley.
snow conditions
Another vote for grindlewald
snow conditions
Basically anywhere in the Jungfrau Region, as already mentioned there are tracks at Murren, a huge one where you take the bus up at Grindelwald, another on First, one down from Kl Scheidegg to Wengen, another on teh Mannlichen, and one down to Grund from below Kl Scheidegg, all acessible by lifts/train
snow report
Another vote for the 7km run in Schaldming/Radstadt.

I did it during the day and in the evening when it was floodlit. (Great fun)

There's some videos on youtube.....

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=schladming+tobogan+run&aq=f
snow conditions
The longest run in the world at First is quite a walk up after the lift, looks great though, they also have the massive zip wire which is also loadsa fun in this resort.
ski holidays
They are building one in Les Arcs for this winter from the top of the transarc lift. Should be fun, but not as long as some I know in Switzerland. Villars, down by the train line. Top to bottom, it is miles and miles. Les Diablerets from top of chair to village. Leysin from top of gondala if it is still allowed. There are loads more. Most swiss resorts have these great little trains that go really high. Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren etc etc. Does anyone know where the longest one is? Think someone said Val Thorens, it must be one of the highest starts 3000m plus.
ski holidays
Viks, look up Bergun, Engadine - you take the standard swiss narrow guage railway up each time instead of a ski lift, maixing with all the local commuters! The Engadinearea is worth it for the scenery alone. Below is blurb from swiss tourist website - the Prada-Bergun is basically a windy mountain road , not too steep so its closed for cars to use it at night, ideal for novices and still great fun if icy. The Darlux-Bergun is steeper and shorter, ideal for shi**ing yourself if out of control one! Neither are Olympic standard, but a great introduction. Bergun's a friendly small family resort, limited nightlife after 11pm.

"Winter
In winter, Bergün is a popular destination for sledgers: Preda-Bergün is a classic among sledging runs. The route goes down over 5 km of the Albula pass, closed in winter. For night-owls, it is floodlit until late in the evening. A second, steeper sledging run from Darlux to Bergün is tremendous fun, especially for bold sledgers!

Bergün also has a traditional skiing area. Two chair-lifts and a T-bar lift take skiers and snowboarders up to Darlux at 2552 m. Snow-shoe walkers are also catered for here - there are places for beginners to go near the village. Cross-country ski tracks, winter walks, curling pitches and an ice-rink all promise lots of winter sports fun"
ski holidays
Viks,

There's a long run in Courcheval, it goes from 1850 down to 1550,its an absolute blast and is long enough for you to be wanting to stop for a rest by the time you get to the bottom.The bubble lift operates in the evening so its a great way of entertaining the kids without spending more cash. The run is marked on the piste map, next to Grangettes lift, it might be that other resorts mark them on the piste maps too, which makes searching a bit easier. have fun.
ski holidays
viks10, Davos Rinerhorn, only 3.5K but floodlit twice a week, not sure where you would park the motor home, good mix of skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl - 7km long, 950m vertical, only open Mon & Thurs evenings but great fun after a few apres beers!'Toofy Grin'
ski holidays
Mikeg36, agreed mate absolutely legendary but carnage as well I don't think I would let kids anywhere need it everyone was wasted and I can't believe there were no casualties Laughing
snow report
Jungfrau Region.....a must !

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/quick-navigation/highlights/sledging/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy