Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SnowHeads Ski Club at Hemel about to get a lot busier?

Poster: A snowHead

Saturday night at Hemel without snowheads (who started using the slope on saturday nights before Onyx and the "Racers").

As we get further into the ski season it's going to start getting busier at Hemel, it's already pretty ridiculous especially with those people who really haven't got a clue. The management at Hemel have obviously decided that it's not busy or unsafe enough and have started a new offer,
Quote:
Saturday Evening Sessions are here!
Have you been stuck with what to do on weekends as the nights get longer?

After the success of the Sunday Evening Session we are extending this offer to include Saturday nights!

On Saturdays after 5pm you can purchase a 3 hours Recreational Lift Pass for only £30!

Meet up with friends in The EDGE then hit the slopes for a relaxed no-rush 3 hour session.

If you didn't already know, snowsports are a fantastic way to keep fit. During an hour on the snow you could burn about 300 calories, imagine how many calories in 3 hours!

Just use promotional code ‘SUN30’ at the check out to qualify.

To book your pass call 0845 258 9000 or click here to start the booking process.

Surprisingly not mentioning that this is only for a third of the slope. Amusingly it is actually about 1/3 of the price for 1/3 of the slope (will the meets get cheaper by 2/3's?). I guess it will make Snowheads meets at Hemel more interesting...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mounta1nGoat, Well spotted, that's bad news. Sad The management at Hemel really do need to address this before somebody gets hurt. I have to admit that skiing there last night was not a lot of fun and all the queueing for the lift was even less so.

There was still a nice view from the bar though. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh dear - was it quite bad then? I was planning on coming along to the December meet Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Schuss in Boots, I am not sure there is much incentive for them to reduce their profits. Sad

The moving slalom poles did add to the fun, but there were a lot of out of control people there.

Would it be any quieter (ie no race club or freeride school) on a Sunday evening?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was one girl who before the race lane was even closed nearly wiped out an instructor and 2 pupils before exploding. I myself got clipped by somone out of control (possibly a sh?) and got some bruised toes for the privilege. There was another girl who was lying on the slope with her skis off virtually every lap. Even with a race lane up would have been fine if there hadn't been the kicker and box still up. Lift maintenance issues were also apparent. Quite likely to be my last visit before next May as I don't particularly want to get hurt.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The out of control skiers weren't all just randoms, when I was standing still against the netting at the bottom a guy managed to hit me and go between me and the net, turned out he was slope patrol (in his slope control sno centre jacket) on demo whitedot skis which he obviously couldn't control, to the amazement of the rest of the lift queue he didn't even apologise before skiing off.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mounta1nGoat wrote:
The out of control skiers weren't all just randoms, when I was standing still against the netting at the bottom a guy managed to hit me and go between me and the net, turned out he was slope patrol (in his slope control sno centre jacket) on demo whitedot skis which he obviously couldn't control, to the amazement of the rest of the lift queue he didn't even apologise before skiing off.

Shocked appalling! Sounds like the skiing experience at HH is sadly getting worse, which is bound to put off some visitors - perhaps the HH management will then get the message that they need to deal with out of control skiers (and staff by the sound of it) Evil or Very Mad .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've just been down for a beer (we're walking distance).
Furniture, seen on the bottom left of my photo (up top) has gone tonight.
Race lane is much narrower, so all in all leaves a lot more to joe public. So far so good.
It was much quieter overall tonight on the 'slope'.

I agree that the place is going downhill.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To be fair the general standard of management at Hemel is far better than any other indoor slope I've been to but I think they do need to think about being a bit more aggressive at spotting and evicting out of control skiers. Also a bit annoying to have snowbord camp people constantly cutting through the fence to jump the queue given that they could have walked back up for all the distance they were riding the lift.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is it with the Boarders playing on the park stuff who seem to think that queing doesnt apply to them

And apologies Fatbob. I think it was me who got you if you are the gentlemen using the telemarks. unfortunately I caught an edge and lost a ski in the sluff while turning to go behind you, not a lot I could do other than shout to warn. By the time I'd got up you'd dissapeared.

There were a lot of very out of control folks all trying to use the single clear path down the slope. I saw one kid who couldnt hold his snowplough go the full length at breakneck speed before slamming into someone at the bottom badly. The slope patrol are normally too busy chatting or showing off to their mates to even notice

There is also a LOT of debris on the slope, bottles and cans and plastic debris. The single ckear path was down to the base ice. Hemel really do need to police the slope and use the piste basher accasionally

I have been twice in the last week and both times the slope has been obscurred by Park kit (neither was a park night) and the manners of folks in the lift queues is appaling. Considering the high price they charge for slope time and that they advertise the full length and width of the slope as skiable on nights other than park nights and race training I believe they could well be in breach of advertising standards laws. I formlly complained last thursday when 2/3rd of the slope was roped off, and all I got was a "thanks for your email" reply
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wow - after my last experience at MK, i was going to give HH a try, but I don't think I'll bother now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally, apart from the space taken up (and not used for a large part of the evening) by the kickers and extra wide race lane, I think a lot of the problem was caused by skiers/boarders not able to 'control speed, link turns and stop'. The restricted space meant that this was especially relevant as, by the evening, the space available was very bumpy or hard and slippery. Watching from the bar, a large proportion of the people on the slope had no business being there, they were a danger to themselves and others. There is no point having a policy that you have to be a certain standard to be on the main slope if it is not going to be enforced. One (quite fiesty) person on the snowHeads meet who did meet the standards was actually reprimanded by the slope patrol for taking a route through the netted off area around the kickers to avoid the danger posed by the 'incompetents' crashing at the end of the slope! She took the issue up with the slope patrol and was advised to put in a complaint at the front desk (I wouldn't like to be in their shoes Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
madmole, No major problem just that tele bindings don't release so I got some torque on my toes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, Oh, come along in December anyway. At least you're definitely able to deal with whatever the conditions are in the evening and will also be able to enjoy the social side of things.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went for the first time to Hemel two thursdays ago and there was a freestyle lesson night on at the same time so there was only a strip in the middle to ski down (not as narrow as this post's photo though). I have to say it didn't seem that bad re people out of control but then maybe I was one of them? Very Happy The only problem I noticed was the novice snowboarders that weren't freestyling getting in my way as I find it hard to predict their turns.

The queuing of the lifts was a bit odd as I started off by doing it like a ski resort which is move towards the front as quick as poss but I soon realised by the looks from people that being in England you queue in line and even if people are idly chatting you don't overtake them Blush I'll know for next time!

Never been on a weekend and I don't think you'd want it any busy than a Thursday eve so I can imagine a weekend would be worse especially if the slope is restricted in width like that photo.
latest report
Thanks Fatbob. Dont really know anything about telemark. Suprised they dont release at all, I always assumed they had some sort of release. Also looks a lot harder work than normal turns, especially in that chop yesterday

Do they not do bindings where you can click into and out of a heel binding to get the best of both, heels free for going up and clamped for down? Looks like I should have a telemark lesson one day to learn more
snow report
if the skiing/boarding public took a little bit of responsibility for themselves and their lack of ability then these situations wouldn't be so apparent.... i have had 3 people in the past week who are all male all skied 3 weeks or less and are happiest on a black run!!!!!!! mmm yes the slope needs to be policed better but the skiers/boarders also need to read the rules and admit if they aren't good enough to be on the slope....

hey but that would mean them having to not endanger others, i still think of all the indoor slopes they are doing the best job
ski holidays
This all sounds a bit scary. Shocked
latest report
Its not just the domes, I was at gloucester dry slope watcing a mother 'teaching' her teenagers to ski, whilst they were getting faster and faster they were not developing any more control despite many body contortions a 'snowplough of death' with all your weight back on your uphill ski does not help you turn.

eventually the inevitable happened and one lad wiped out spectaularly, and from what he was describing my guess is hes bust his scaphoid at the very least. But they were on the slopes for over 2 hours. I feel sad from both his point of view and for the other slope users as it spoils the experience for everyone if slope patrol dont insist on minimum standards
latest report
allanm, oh I believe I stole the image out of one of your posts (I can't tell I'm on my phone), sorry if it's hosted on your site and this is using up bandwidth, I could always re-upload it, with your permission of course.
I think the boarders think they can queue jump as they're on a 'private lesson' with Onyx snowboarding school. But they were just cutting through a gap in the net.
They seem to have less and less staff there every time I go. Originally there were about 4 slope patrol. Yesterday I only saw one, or maybe two at one point. The rentals desk is deserted with gear everywhere. Last time I was stood waiting with a queue of people while the one member of staff just wandered around going 'where is everybody?' not helping anybody. Still atleast the snow tends to be good NehNeh. I'm sure it's not as bad on most weekdays, but I can only visit at weekends.
ski holidays
Snowdomes beyond august = sh!tshow
snow conditions
Thank you for all the posts and feedback. Some of the issues raised I can directly deal with, however it must me remembered that we are in the season now and we will get busy just like any ski resort.

I will look at why the slope patrol seem to me a bit thin and get get a more pro active approach to dealing with skiers who are not at rec standard. Like wise in the rental area.

Saturday evenings are historicaly our quiet period so we encorage freestyle and clubs to use the facility at this time. During the summer / Autumn the SH once a month group did not have numbers that maybe we would have expected, therefore we have opened up the evening to other clubs / users. Maybe if we could get advanced notice of the SH number we could make a decission on other clubs. This would mean that our arrangment would become a little more formal but we could better plan numbers.

We have always welcomed the snowheads community here at The Snow Centre and will continue to do so. Please be aware that we will get busier during the peak season (November, December, January and Feb) but during the other eight months of the year SH enjoy a fairly quiet slope.

Action will be taken on the points raised and thank you all for your feedback.

Pete Silver Gillespie

Director - The Snow Centre
snow report
I was there last night (4 to 6pm) for the first time since February. It was a lot quiter than back then. Part of the slope (just under a third) was fenced off just before 6pm, which definately made it less fun than usual. However it was nowhere near as bad as the photo. I can't believe that two areas were cordoned off. That's ridiculous and if they are they going to do that they should really close the slope to recreational users.

The only bad points I saw were: there was absolutely zero maintenance to the snow on for the "advanced" drag lift. There were big dips down to ice with the matting showing. Normally one of the slope patrol shovels in snow to fill the holes.
Also most snowboarders seem to think wiping out after a 1 inch high jump is part of the experience, but I think that's normal behaviour for snowboarders anywhere.

The good point was my daughter had a 2 hour lesson and no-one else turned up so she ended up with one to one tuition Happy
ski holidays
gilleski, thanks for your input, always bolsters faith in an organisation to know that it's willing to listen to its customers, explain some things candidly and commit to improving the things that can be improved! Very Happy
snow conditions
I gave two lads a bit of earful on Sunday afternoon. I was rocking some tele steeze (i.e. being irritated at linking only two sketchy tele turns followed by trying to avoid small children) while Mrs Zammo was having a group lesson (don't get me on that topic, either!). Anyway, these two kids were all over the place, never in any way mindful of other people on the slope and totally out of control. I'm not normally one to get on my high horse in such situations, but I know how much it can dent the confidence of a novice to be taken out by some idiot not taking any notice of where other people are.

Props to gilleski for taking on board sHs' comments, though.
ski holidays
I was there in the very early morning on Saturday and the slope was nice. Even and only that bit on the left was fenced for freestyle features.
It was definitely busier than a few weeks ago with lots of kids having lessons on the main slope.
The beginners slope was a bit of mystery to me. More than 2/3 was fenced off in the lower half, leaving only a few meters on the left side. How can you learn on such narrow space. Strange.
snow conditions
As in any ski resort your experience will be very much shaped by how many users are on the hill. Mayrhofen in Feb half term will be quite different from Mayrhofen in January for example. There are still lots of times even in the season when you will enjoy a less busy slope at TSC. Consider your timings, Saturday and Sunday morning we open early, for those of you who can Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings are great (thats when I ski)!! Wednesday you can get an 8am start.

Nursery slope is netted off on the weekends to create a safe learning environment for our smaller guests. Narrower nursery area aimed at level 3 / 4 learners who are linking turns before being introduced to the main slope.

PSG
snow report
gilleski, Thanks for responding. I'd be unhappy if this thread just came across as whinging and I'm sure we all appreciate that things will naturally get busier around this time of year. I guess my real surprise was how busy it remained even after 7pm, with a signifcant number of snowheads off the slope for dinner and the snowboard camp finished. I also noted that it was practically impossible for staff to teach beginners/developers on the slope given the traffic/limited space/condition of the slick patch.

I'm sure the "out of control" group are equally bad in an alpine environment its just that in very limited space they present much more of an objective hazard as does the impossibility of giving beginners as wide a berth as possible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gilleski wrote:
it must me remembered that we are in the season now and we will get busy just like any ski resort.

I'm sorry but that is no excuse for taking the p*ss with paying customers. What annoys me about this kind of stuff is you book it online and then turn up to find out only a third of the slope is available, which at Hemel is a massive problem.

I have also noticed that Hemel has a decidedly lax attitude to skiers with little experience, the last time I was there two kids had got kitted up but had no idea how to use a button lift and one girl slammed into my OH when she was out of control through not understanding how to turn!

Hemel is much more convenient for me than MK, but despite the snow quality being better at Hemel, I'm just not prepared to put up with the poor management of the Snow Centre and how that effects the skiing experience.
snow conditions
kosciosco wrote:
gilleski wrote:
it must me remembered that we are in the season now and we will get busy just like any ski resort.

I'm sorry but that is no excuse for taking the p*ss with paying customers. What annoys me about this kind of stuff is you book it online and then turn up to find out only a third of the slope is available, which at Hemel is a massive problem.

There is no mention of the Saturday night restrictions here -> http://www.thesnowcentre.com/page/60 either.

Now it does say...

Saturday 4th December 8am-6pm
1/3rd of the main slope will be netted off to allow for filming.

Doesn't mention it will [probably] remain netted off for race training after.

gilleski, Thanks again for the input, could I suggest you update your website to include all restrictions? At least your customers would then know what to expect.
snow report
gilleski, sorry but that seems a slightly complacent reply.

It would be good to see some more pro-active action by your "slope patrol". There was a lot of activity going on which was basically pretty dangerous in such a confined space. To say that they seemed relaxed about it would be true - and on one occasion one of them apparently actually hurt one of our group by being out of control themselves. This is unacceptable and needs specific measures taken.

Perhaps worth remembering that this thread will now be out there on the internet for the sight of Lawyers of anyone who is injured at your facility?
latest report
stoatsbrother, thank you for your comments. I am very aware that this is an internet forum that will be seen by lots of people which is why I choose to respond directly using this platform. Happy to accept comment and feedback via this channel or any other. It is by communication and feedback that we can shape and develop our offer.

Regards

Pete
snow report
gilleski, thanks - I hadn't seen the second para in your first post on the thread Embarassed and look forwards to seeing if you can get it sorted.

I wouldn't say the slope patrol were thin on the ground - but they did seem to be sat chatting on their little deck.
ski holidays
gilleski, thanks for taking on board our comments. This probably seems a lot more negative over the internet than it really is but hopefully we'll see some changes soon. As we get further into the winter we'll get more people coming for the snowhead meets just like you get more business in general, I just wanted people to be more aware and bring it up before it became too much of an issue as the centre gets busier.
ski holidays
I've only been to Hemel twice - months ago - but on one occasion it was pretty crowded. The most important things seem to be to have effective ski patrols who take people who really shouldn't be there off the slope, and having clear information about how much of the slope will be available well in advance - some of us have quite a drive to get there.

It's a great facility - hope they sort it out.
ski holidays
i know from my days of working at tamworth (when it was the only one) the number of people lying to get on the slopes is unreal, then when patrol ask them to leave the abuse that they get is also unreal, we had staff verbally and on one occasion physically abused for asking someone to leave the slope as they were no where close to the standard required to be there.......

skiing is the core product at hemel (unlike the shopping centers with a slope on the side) so it is a fine balancing act to get the skier experience at the level where people want to learn and those that have learnt want to come back time and time again

best of luck getting the balance right and giving the slope patrol guys the training and back up they need when they do have to "evict" someone
ski holidays
CEM wrote:

skiing is the core product at hemel (unlike the shopping centers with a slope on the side) so it is a fine balancing act to get the skier experience at the level where people want to learn and those that have learnt want to come back time and time again

best of luck getting the balance right and giving the slope patrol guys the training and back up they need when they do have to "evict" someone

Don't know how it would work if you got evicted and given a coupon for a free 1/2 hour lesson or so. Kind of like a skier re-education programme and you might snag some on learning to ski properly.
snow report
Where do I sign up to join the slope patrol???
ski holidays
Interesting comment on Gloucester kevindonkleywood, when did this happen?

I think guys it's a very positive treflection on the Hemel that a senior member of the team has come on here so soon after the thread was started to state that he will look into the issues that have been brought up. I don't think you'll find the same happening with any other (dome/dry) slope in the UK, so I'd say top marks to gilleski for being so quick to act.

I have to agree with CEM, asking people to leave a slope is not a pleasant thing to have to do - I don't particularly mind asking people to slow down, put in more turns and generally ski more safely but I don't relish the occassions I've had to ask people to come off the slope and I'm an instructor so perhaps have more authority than slope patrol (we don't have them at Gloucester actually).
fatbob wrote:
Don't know how it would work if you got evicted and given a coupon for a free 1/2 hour lesson or so. Kind of like a skier re-education programme and you might snag some on learning to ski properly.

When we have to remove people from the slope we do pretty much that, offer them a lesson with a discount for the cost of their aborted session. To be honest I don't actually have that much sympathy for them, some slopes just ask people to sign on a dotted line to confirm they're of the standard, we have a full page blooming form that would make the Inland Revenue happy. Anyone filling that in can't pretent they weren't lying about their ability if they've been told to come off the slope!
latest report
gilleski, Thanks for your responses. I enjoy TSC as a member, client of Inside Out Skiing and a snowHead. I expect the slope to get busier at this time of year, accept that there will be a range of abilities and am glad the Centre is so successful. However, I do not think clients who abide by the terms and conditions for using the slope should have to suffer from the behaviour of those who totally disregard them. During the day on Saturday there were three occasions when other slope users approached from above me on the slope and only missed my skis by about 4 or 5 cm, seeming either oblivious to my presence or amused by the incident.

I agree with CEM, that the slope patrol staff need the procedures and back up to deal effectively with those who are unable or unwilling to use the slope in a safe, considerate and acceptable manner.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy