Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two recommendations for Austria requested?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are planning for two! trips to Austria this season. Both trips will be a couple of days only.

Trip 1. In February. For me, my wife and two daughters (14,22); 3 with skis, 1 with snowboard. All good skiers.
Trip 2. In Dec-January. For the 22-year daugter and her boyfriend. Both with snowboard, good skiers.

Both resorts should be in the eastern part of Austria (reachable from Graz). We have been in Saalbach (and StAnton) so that is excluded. We have been thinking of: Flachau, Bad Gastein, Zell am See, Obertauern and some others.

Any good comments/recommendations wellcome

Thanks..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Alamski welcome to snowheads!

Bad Gastein and the rest of the Gasteinertal is a fantastic area for ski mileage, lots of different areas which you can ski between or just hop on a short ski bus to get to, found it an interesting area and the towns themselves have plenty of other non ski activities too, Bad Hofgastein would be a good base as you can ski to Bad Gastein, and Dorfgastein/Großarl is only a short skibus ride away. Plus you're in the Skiamade so if you do get bored you can go on day trips to any of the other skiamade resorts...

Zell am See/Kaprun, good resorts again plenty of varied terrain if you mix up skiing between the Schmittenhohe and the Kitzsteinhorn.

Obertauern, great ski in and out for hotels, relatively large but have heard the runs aren't overly challenging, but a comfortable nice resort.

Off the beaten track slightly but have a look at Tauplitz, easy access from Graz, you can get a schneebaerenland skipass which covers you for three other resorts (Planneralm, Riesneralm and Loser/Altaussee all nearby) Tauplitz has an excellent snow record plus the area has been modernised in recent years with a brand new gondola opening this season from the village, plenty of other activities available, brand new thermal spa centre/hotel in Bad Mitterndorf plus the whole valley is a XC skiers paradise. But if you do get bored, Schladming is only 40 minutes away.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alamaki, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Bad Kleinkirchheim/St Oswald is quite a bit nearer Graz than Kaprun, Zell am See etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you thought about Schaldming?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Amade is the area you can get to easily from Graz.

Ski Amade is a cluster of small to medium size resorts comprises on Flachau, Wagrain, St Johann/Alpendorf, Zauchensee, Flachauwinkl, Kleinnarl, Radstadt, ALtenmarkt, Fizmoos, Eben, Schladming, Dachstein, Dorfgastein, Bad Gastein, Sportgastein..... It is mind boggling huge area on just one ski pass. Obertauem isn't part of SKi Amade but you can get it with a ski pass for Salzburg.

If you go there without a car then you should stay at the stragetic locations like Schladming which has 4 mountains linked together from Haus/Ennstal to Gleiming with Schladming and Pichl at the middle. This possibly the largest linked zone. I stayed at Flachau once and it is good for accessing Zauchensee, Flachaulwinkl, Kleinal which is linked. Flachau itself is not linked to Wagrain from which you can ski to the far end of Alpendorf. You do need to ride a bus from Flachau to Wagrain, Altenmarkt which is linked with Radstadt. The Gastein Valley is on its own but the snow is less sure because it is a very popular tourist place where a lopt of non skiers go there for the famous spa. They upgraded the facilities and I rode heated gondola first time there last year.

If you have a car then the entire region is at your disposal. I spent a week just touring around most of them. It is a great place to ski as the resorts are close to each other.

Think Dec to Feb should be OK in SKi Amade. If the snow is poor go up the Dachstein glacier. There is a skywalk there where you walk on a glass pane over a cantilever structure. Skiing is limited in Dachstein though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sailkee stated that:
Quote:
Flachau itself is not linked to Wagrain from which you can ski to the far end of Alpendorf. You do need to ride a bus from Flachau to Wagrain,

This is what comes of speeding through resorts! "Is it Thursday, oh we must be resort X - tick it off dear we Done it now!" Toofy Grin

The Flying Mozart lift top station is at the top of the Flachau slopes! There is a very short, dedicated shuttle bus link across WAGRAIN from the base station of the Flying Mozart to the Graffenberg base, from where you then link into the other half of the Wagrain system.

Ski Amadé is much closer to Graz than people think using the A9 then the B320.

Question for the original poster: Do you know where the Graz airport actually is in relation to Graz itself? I know that there is an airport in the south part of the city - does your flight go to this airport? Ryan Air for example are sometimes very "elastic" with their airport naming. Frankfurt-Hahn is a classic one (100km from Frankfurt) Hamburg-Lübeck and Brussels- Charleroi also quite a long way from their "home" towns!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Question for the original poster: Do you know where the Graz airport actually is in relation to Graz itself? I know that there is an airport in the south part of the city - does your flight go to this airport? Ryan Air for example are sometimes very "elastic" with their airport naming. Frankfurt-Hahn is a classic one (100km from Frankfurt) Hamburg-Lübeck and Brussels- Charleroi also quite a long way from their "home" towns!
New post Sun 14 Nov, 10
15:44 Reply with quote

Actually, i have no idea about the airport. For the feb trip we are driving to Graz by car. The other trip my daughter will do with his boy friend (she is temporarily living in Graz now) and they take bus or train from Graz.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Based near Graz.. with a car... your choices are masssive!

Dachstein West, Tauplitz and Ski Amade are all good possibilities.

Easy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alamaki, Schladming or Flachau are both within easy reach. In a car it's a doddle. As you are driving down you will probably go past/through or very close to both of them.

Another snowHead (Flangesax) has a small Guest-house along that route and it's ideally position to investigate the region. Take a look at their web site:

http://www.austrian-adventures.com/

I've stayed there as have a few other sHs - well worth it Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alamaki,

You must be pulling my legs. With a car and in Austria already you can ski the whole Austria and Dolomites!

Have a look at the Bergfex site. It has all the information of the 330 skiing resorts in Austria, their piste maps and all kinds of accommodations you can book.

Austria is a country designed for skiers with cars. You cam park just about in any Austrian resort free. My observation is the popularity of an Austria resort has something to do with the number of parking spaces available. Samerberg Sue may know more about this.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all responses... I will have a closer look on these..

My daughter and her boyfriend will have to travel by bus or train. They are interested to go visit Zell am See. Any comments on that? Easy to reach from Graz?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zell am See is already on the lengthy side from Graz, eastern part of the Ski Amade however is relatively easy, direct A9 Phyrnmotorway and the the B320 Ennstal federal road and you're in Schladming/Haus im Ennstal in just under two hours, plus they're also on the main Graz-Salzburg railway line. Tauplitz also just as easy and close, just a short way up another valley.

Graz Airport is very close to the city of Graz, perhaps 10 minutes or so the city centre, has its own railway station I believe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy