Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder skiing-value for money or fast and long?

Poster: A snowHead
There are definitely two distinct schools of thought around this!

So which one are you?

Lots of short little turns getting all that value for money and probably quite a few face shots?

OR

Laying down fast big arc's in the snow, spraying huge smoking turns as you go?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Powder 8s went out with the fartbag - however on a short mellow pitch you might as well have a wiggle.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Straightline it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Totally depends - appropriate stroke for appropriate canvas...

Huge open bowl? Gun it. Chest deep in the trees? I'll be linking a few...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skierchris,

find terrain with lots of trees and cliffs.

Shut eyes.

Straightline it.

Repeat until you can't.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, I approve of this internet based natural selection encouragement snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
skierchris,

find terrain with lots of trees and cliffs.

Shut eyes.

Straightline it.

Repeat until you can't.

Thats rad, you shrep dog!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Turns are an admission of fear.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is great, no one wants to admit they like little pow8 turns!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like turning. Don't matter what type. Big turns, medium turns or little turns all make for big smiles.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skierchris, but seriously,

Powder 8s rule, powder 11s are kinda cool too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, You over complicate it Rob - its just left and right for me!

under a new name, Dollar signs it is then!

Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skierchris wrote:

So there aren't two school of thought?

wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skierchris, ha ha love them too!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

skierchris wrote:

Respect ! I can only manage left or right.
ski holidays
Tight lines can be very neat - and keep some more of the face fresh for skiers who come after you.
snow conditions
Both, depending on where I am and how I feel. Pretty much been working on opening my pow turns into more of a gs size and shape though, hoping my new skis will help accelerate this a wee bit though Twisted Evil

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 14-11-10 22:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
achilles, FARM the powder....lovely pic btw
ski holidays
Both.
ski holidays
achilles,

I agree totally with you. Skiing short turns and keeping your turns parallel with each of the other members in your ski group means that more people can then enjoy untracked snow.

Looking at your photo I would point out that you should only ski side by side at the same time down a slope when you are fairly sure that the slope will not avalanche. Each of member of the group should ski down one at a time so that if there is an avalanche you are only looking for one buried soul.

On a slightly different topic I get very annoyed when other skiers don't understand the dangers of off piste skiing and ski above other ski groups and endanger the lower group because the skier above us could trigger a slide down onto the group lower down the slope.
snow report
welshflyer, I think you'll find he knows what he is doing wink
snow conditions
clarky999,

I wasn't suggesting he didn't know what he was doing.

I was making a general comment about others who don't understand the dangers.
latest report
I'll go with 'Both' as well, but I probably do short turns more often. I still get a buzz out of looking back at my tracks, even though it's an unfashionable approach these days Embarassed
latest report
fast medium for me Very Happy

achilles, that pic is cool... where is it?
latest report
There's something about powder farming that is just wrong. I understand the courtesy aspect and appreciate it if I'm slow but still get a line after a bit more of a traverse but the tight parallel wiggles just seem to be a little less "free" than modern equipment and technique permit.

I've seen photos of cat and heli ops that rigourously "ration" their pow and I'd be very keen to avoid them.
ski holidays
^^^ agree although trashing a virgin powder field by putting in massive snowplough turns followed by traverses is also poor form!

edit: not suggesting this is something that fatbob does

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 15-11-10 16:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
fatbob, Aye, no friends on powder days! wink
latest report
shoogly, above the Rotondo Hut.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Big fast curvyness here. Straightlining stuff is fun but some of my favourite turns are high speed changes in direction, pulling some G and billowing pow! Toofy Grin
latest report
Arno wrote:
^^^ agree although trashing a virgin powder field by putting in massive snowplough turns followed by traverses is also poor form!

edit: not suggesting this is something that fatbob does

Nope I prefer the flail, fall, dig out skis method of turning.
ski holidays
I don't get why people need a football pitch eidt around their precious 'lines'. Is it some kind of obsessive compulsive thing ? "Ohhh Noooo, some tracks have crossed mine !! 200mm. of snow is sullied beyong belief!".

What these people need is a dose of reality in the shape of fatbob's crime scene outlines at 10 metre intervals down the slope.

Once in (I think) Les Deux ALpes there was fresh snowfall giving deep snow over even the greenest of pistes. My little group came upon a woman who was doing the flail\fall\dig method. Below her were two infants yelling "Come on mummy, get up!" and a man who was yelling useful things like "Try to keep your weight central and scrundle the doobrie flobbits" (or something equally useless).

We asked if she would like a hand as she was clearly exhausted and possibly we could carry her skis and she could walk down balancing with sticks and a bit of help. She replied "Oh, don't worry, I'LL GET HIM LATER".

I have always been grateful that I am not that man.
latest report
Hiking I'll add in some extra turns since that vertical is hard earned, lift accessed more speed fewer turns, more laps.

thirty06, I'd hate to be that man later, too.
snow report
some very messy S's ending in a big Dr John shaped snow angel...
snow conditions
fatbob, problem being that if you have two (or three) groups of 11 in a 212, you actually can run out of untracked snow if folks aren't reasonably tight.

You really need to ante up and have a private A-Star.
latest report
Its all about writing your signature. Let it flow and mince if you want to , or rip it . the choice is yours. If you come across an unploughed powderfield then you have first dibs. Leaving untracked for others ?? You must be joking !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy