Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is steep!

Poster: A snowHead
The exact words for

<E> <X> as marked as double black diamond piste

printed on every trail map of Winter Park, Colorado of USA are

"Extreme Terrain

Contains cliffs, very steep (50 degree or greater pitch) slopes as well as rocks and other hazards. Skiing or snowboarding Extreme Terrain is for EXPERT ONLY"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For me, once you get to around 35* it starts feeling steep.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skierchris, In order to avoid accusations of pimping, I believe you need to run some lessons at Hemel.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steepest i've skied is Eagle Ridge 6&7 at Lake Louise... that was when i wasn't as good on skis as i am now and i was bricking it at points, but it was a great learning experience. I remember saying to my mate that i had never skied something that i could touch the side of the slope by sticking my elbow out!!!

The back bowls are Lake Louise are a great place to build up through a series of various slopes that go from steep to stupid steep to insanely steep. I'll admit i didn't go near the insanely steep at either end of eagle ridge!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schuss in Boots,
Quote:

Whatever happened to having a multi-sock quiver? C'mon now, try to keep up with the trends

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent, this boring thread about steepness has turned into an exciting sock based one.
Has any one used soxfox.com? They are doing deals on Falke socks, 3 pairs for. £48 or so. Seemed a good deal. They should help me tackle the 10-15degree slopes ? Getting the thread back to steepness.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
has anyone ironed their socks on a pitch over 40 degrees ??
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 15-11-10 11:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.extremeironing.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album10&id=03090043_G&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
See my 50 foot cliff drop post Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lobbing another point into the discussion wink

When does the classification of skiing stop and jumping or dropping take over??

A short pitch of 75 degree plus is more like dropping than skiing Shocked Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
livetoski wrote:
A short pitch of 75 degree plus is more like dropping than skiing Shocked Puzzled

depends how well you've waxed your skis wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steep
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steepest for me would probably be the Couloir Barbey off the Aiguille d'Argentiere and Tower Gully on Ben Nevis (snowboarding).

Barbey is 5.1 and over 45° for some reasonably sustained sections. Never seen a ski grade for Tower Gully, but it's over 50° at the top, mellowing to a mere 40°+. Both have pretty serious exposure.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saw the tower gully skiing footage on epicski... looks scary exposed!
snow conditions
Anyone know how steep the Swiss wall is between avoriaz and champery? It looks near vertical in places, I left it for another time!!
snow report
I've fallen over a (fortunately small) cliff band that I reckon was 80 deg +. Does that count?

See also why I prefer skis to snowboard on exposed and icy pitches.
ski holidays
limegreen1 wrote:
has anyone ironed their socks on a pitch over 40 degrees ??

In my case, a requirement to wash them after a pitch of over 40 degrees would be more appropriate. wink
snow report
..... yes and over 50 deg I'd need to wash me underpants too.
ski holidays
just found this on youtube...

http://youtube.com/v/20icEjXh7Yk

only looking as it's courchevel and that's where we're off to... cracking video.... cannae wait!!!!!! Very Happy
snow report
Some years ago a group of us were off piste with a guide on a "steep" slope. Near the bottom he paused and asked us what we all thought the gradient was. Despite suspecting there was a catch in the question, we all offered ideas varying between 40 and 60 degrees or even more.

He then placed one of his ski poles in the snow vertically, then placed the other horizontally with the tops of the handles touching and the second pole pointing horizontally towards the slope. If the slope had been 45 degrees then the horizontal pole would have touched the slope. To the disappointment of all of us it was nowhere near.

He then slid the horizontal pole down the vertical one until the horizontal pole touched the snow. He had markings on the vertical pole to show what the gradients were and this slope came out around 38. That is still steep enough for most skiers however most slopes are not as steep in terms of degrees as we think.

So to anyone who thinks they are on a slope of 45 degrees or more, I suggest you try this simple test. If you ask the group beforehand as our guide did however, you can expect some disappointed faces.
ski holidays
shoogly wrote:

only looking as it's courchevel and that's where we're off to... cracking video.... cannae wait!!!!!! Very Happy

The first part of that clips looks like the couloir right under the cable car, "sous-pylons" or "téléphérique". Its about 38 degrees. The kids love it because they can tap the front of the cable car with their poles as it comes in, and watch the horrified faces peering out Toofy Grin
snow conditions
richjp, good wee story. the new k2 poles have markings on them for just such measuring purposes.
latest report
shoogly wrote:
richjp, good wee story. the new k2 poles have markings on them for just such measuring purposes.

Thank you. One of my present poles is a bit bent, so that is another excuse to get new pair.
snow conditions
Just as an observation even with the K2 poles surely it depends on which way up you are measuring the angle from, i.e is is 90 degress minus the respective angle or 0 degrees plus the respective angle. Who knows it could answer why some peoples ideas are different to others. Is the same calculation understood by all those discussing slope angles?
latest report
It's becoming a physics discussion Puzzled .

Can't we just agree that steepness is subjective? What one might consider steep another might consider flat.

However, I wouldn't like to think this was my only route to the bottom
http://youtube.com/v/lYC3Z0982CE Shock
ski holidays
Megamum, Yes, as long as you know what you;re talking about Wink
snow report
Leeds_Skier, I would throw in to the mix that steepness is very subject to snow condition - 40º brick hard 'ice' can be terrifying, 50º of knee deep powder is not...

To add to some of the comments above, personally steepness is only relevant if one has to make controlled turns down it for a sustained period of time (ie no possibility to point the tips downhill & run it out)... if not then I have 'skied' overhanging snow.. Happy

As for socks, I like ones with left & right written on them... and don't iron them...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry, that was facetious. Slope angles are measured relative to zero degrees horizontal.
snow conditions
nbt, oh you bitch!
ski holidays
Try
Voie Anderson - Mont MAUDIT -www.guidemontblanc.it from colmoschin5
this for some reasonably steep skiing Shocked Cool
snow report
Bones, he did well but I had the feeling the snowboarder was wishing he had two planks on that occasion.
snow report
Patch wrote:
shoogly wrote:

The first part of that clips looks like the couloir right under the cable car, "sous-pylons" or "téléphérique". Its about 38 degrees.

Are you sure? They don't feel like 38*.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Just as an observation even with the K2 poles surely it depends on which way up you are measuring the angle from, i.e is is 90 degress minus the respective angle or 0 degrees plus the respective angle. Who knows it could answer why some peoples ideas are different to others. Is the same calculation understood by all those discussing slope angles?

Also depends how certain you are that you can get the poles COMPLETELY vertical and COMPLETELY horizontal.
latest report
i used to carry a clinometer around with me but whenever i was on something steep enough to boast about on the internet, i was too busy clinging on to my edges to be faffing round measuring steepness
ski holidays
clarky999, Don't be silly, I'm sure if K2 are making poles with angle markings on them that they are adding built in spirit levels too Cool Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Patch wrote:
shoogly wrote:

The first part of that clips looks like the couloir right under the cable car, "sous-pylons" or "téléphérique". Its about 38 degrees.

Are you sure? They don't feel like 38*.

Fairly sure, but I'll check .....
snow conditions
I'm sure slopes always feel a lot steeper than they actually are.

Am off to Val d'Isere end of Jan and looking forward to 'The Face'......ok so after reading this thread a little worried now. Have been on a few steeps where you can put your hand out to one side and rest your palm on the slope. Depending on the route you take, 'The Face' is quoted at about 63 degrees.

http://valdisere2009.org/en/spectateurs/epreuves/bellevarde.html

Anyone done it?
snow conditions
63% maybe, but not 63 deg

45deg = 100%, 1 foot up for 1 foot in
snow conditions
edde wrote:
I'm sure slopes always feel a lot steeper than they actually are.

Am off to Val d'Isere end of Jan and looking forward to 'The Face'......ok so after reading this thread a little worried now. Have been on a few steeps where you can put your hand out to one side and rest your palm on the slope. Depending on the route you take, 'The Face' is quoted at about 63 degrees.

http://valdisere2009.org/en/spectateurs/epreuves/bellevarde.html

Anyone done it?

The site quotes a maximum gradient of 71%, which is around 40 degrees. Average gradient will be somewhat less
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy